Starting Defense

H-towngreen

I'm really excited about how Dodge has filled in the defense with JUCO's. I'm actually kind of excited to see this defense with the new additions and Deloach coming back. I expect a drastic turnaround this year. Here is my expected starting lineup:

DT's- Joesph Miller and Ike Thomas, but I expect Draylon Ross to come on strong. Throw in DeSotto and Scroggins, and I think that we will have a decent rotation here.

DE- Alonzo Horton and Eddrick Gilmore. These two will be tough for Belt opponents to handle for the next 2 years. A great pair of bookends that will put pressure on the QB. Look for big things from these two. I'm especially excited about Horton, I think he will be a stud. As for reserves it seems open, maybe Sam Osu-Hemeng

LB- AJ Penson, Craig Robertson, and Marquise Davis. Young and athletic. 2 Sophmores and a RS Fresh. this could be a great group in the years to come. You have to like the speed that this group brings to the table. Colt Mahan, Bron Hager and Justin Padron could get thrown in the mix. Still a very young group.

CB- Justin Edwards and Antoine Bush. I think this will make for a good duo. Latiff Nuredeen also sees some PT

DB- Adrayan Adams, Kylee Hill, Kartay Agbottah. Hill might move to CB as he seems a little small, but who knows. 3 way race for 2 spots, nice problem to have.

All in all I think that this ends up being a very solid athletic group. With only 1 or 2 seniors.

What's happened to Jonathan Stewart from Arlington? Has he fallen off the DL rotation list?

I thought that Owusu-Hemeng was a LB. Kenneth Okonkwo (6'2" X 230) was listed as a DE last year. Is he still at that position?

I also think that Marquis Sykes at (6'3" X 253) would seem to be better suited as a DE, rather than a LB. Is Kail Krider ever going to get into the rotation at DE?

And finally, how is Charlie Brown developing as a DE? On last years program, he was listed as 6'4" X 239.

What's happened to Jonathan Stewart from Arlington? Has he fallen off the DL rotation list?

I thought that Owusu-Hemeng was a LB. Kenneth Okonkwo (6'2" X 230) was listed as a DE last year. Is he still at that position?

I also think that Marquis Sykes at (6'3" X 253) would seem to be better suited as a DE, rather than a LB. Is Kail Krider ever going to get into the rotation at DE?

And finally, how is Charlie Brown developing as a DE? On last years program, he was listed as 6'4" X 239.

I would second the motion on Sykes. I think he will be a good backup...at DE. Also, what about Kyle Russo? I think he'll be in the mix, as well.

And at DB...you can't count out Antoine Bush...after all, coaches just voted him our best DB last year.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Stewart, along with Scoggins and DeSoto will likely be the backups. He played in 8 games last year at DT and is more experienced, of course, as the other two were redshirts. It's hard to tell which of those three will get the most playing time.

Owusu-Hemeng was moved to DE last year and got a decent amount of playing time. Okonkwo was a non-scholarship athlete who I saw play quite a bit in high school as my grandson is a graduate of Berkner and was in his class. He was a strong player in high school but I don't know if he'll get much of a chance here and I don't know how long he can continue to pay his own way. Krider played in 8 games also last year but I believe that all of his playing time was on special teams. I don't see him as getting any time in the rotation.

Charlie Brown is a complete mystery to me. He's probably a little heavier than 239 if I understood his dad correctly. If he really wants to play DE he should be a factor in the rotation. Or, he could be in competition with Victor Gill for the big WR/TE in the Monster Formation. Maybe he has already decided which route to pursue and will be a strong factor in a rotation.

My guess:

DE: Gilmore and Horton first team; Owussu-Heming and Sykes backups, other possibilities Rexrode, Davenport, Brown, Russo

DT: Miller at one position, a battle for other tackle and key backups between Ross, Stewart, Scoggin, Desoto, Krider

LB: Robertson, Pinson, Mahon as first team; backups Davis, Padron, Warren, Hager TD must be happy with LB as it sure was not a recruiting priority but there is little experience in this group.

CB: Bush and a battle between Jucos Adams and Edwards for other position, look for freshmen Hill and Cooks to be backups

S: Juco Hill and rs Garden, Backups are Agobottah (sp), Freshmen Shorter, Williams

Guest GrayEagleOne

Yeah, I want to know what that above statement about the players meant as well.

If you will read other KBJ posts I believe that you will understand where he's coming from.