W. Kentucky Women's Program

Cooley

DeSoto's Top Ranked Girls to Face Duncanville Test

January 10, 2008

Rob Harman

DeSoto's girls basketball team has four players who have signed with Division I programs, a couple more who could sign in the spring, an unbeaten record and a top ranking by both TexasHoops.com and the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches going to Duncanville on Friday. Is Coach Larry Goad worried about his players getting a big head as they prepare for their big District 8-5A showdown?

"No, the kids have handled that really well," Goad said. "They've enjoyed being ranked number one and I've been really pleased with their humbleness and their 'down-to-earthness' about it – if earthness is a word." The Lady Eagles (26-0) are led by D-I signees Sydney Carter (Texas A&M), Keandra "Keke" Goodson (Northwestern State in Louisiana), Vanessa Obafemi (Western Kentucky) and Jasmine Johnson (Western Kentucky), all averaging between nine and 13 points.

The sixth-ranked Pantherettes (23-2), meanwhile, may not have as many stars but they may even be deeper than DeSoto. "We are really spread out," Duncanville coach Cathy Self-Morgan said. "I don't have that one go-to player to make the basket when we have to have it. I have eight girls who are really getting it done and I'm about 12 deep." Duncanville does have Teranie Thomas (Western Kentucky) and Veronica Mergerson (UTA) who have signed and Carneta Henderson who has "two D-I offers on the table."

DeSoto, Duncanville and Arlington Bowie have been battling for District 8-5A supremacy – and often a top-of-the-state ranking for several years. Last year, DeSoto swept through the district unbeaten before finishing 35-3 after a loss to Mansfield Summit in the Region I finals. Self-Morgan says the Lady Eagles may have been even tougher a few years ago. "Actually, it was my first year here," she said. "We lost to them in the quarterfinals, then they lost to Bowie who won state. That was an unbelievable team."

Goad compares the atmosphere like the Red River Shoot-Out, with the records going in have very little meaning. "We're going to have to keep playing good defense and control the boards," Goad said. "They're real tough on the boards."

DeSoto won three tournaments: the Pasadena Invitational, the DeSoto Tournament and the DISD Coca-Cola Classic. Nobody has played DeSoto closer than seven points.

Goad believes his Lady Eagles have yet to peak. "We played well during the tournament season [but] we're still working on tweaking a few things," he said. "There are several areas where we can still get better. So that's a good thing. Our best basketball is still ahead of us." Duncanville's only losses came against district-foe Cedar Hill before Christmas and Frisco, ranked No. 1 in Class 4A, at the Sandra Meadows Invitational. The Pantherettes have wins over Dallas Bishop Lynch, Mansfield Summit and Fort Worth Dunbar.

"The fact that they're undefeated and we have two losses is big," Self-Morgan said. "Unfortunately, one of those was in district. We can't afford to lose another one." Self-Morgan says there will be an intense, playoff atmosphere all night Friday at Sandra Meadows Arena. After the girls game at 6:30 p.m., top-ranked Duncanville (22-1) will play 18th-ranked DeSoto (16-4) in an equally big boys match-up at 8 p.m.

Tina is cruising - she has been here 15+ years, does she really need to recruit these days?

Good point, she knows she's history after this season, she's just drawing a paycheck.