Houston Nutt Already Has A Job

Mean Green 93-98

Ole Miss hires former Arkansas coach Houston Nutt

08:41 AM CST on Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Associated Press

JACKSON, Miss. – Houston Nutt wasn't out of a job for long: He was hired as Mississippi's football coach just hours after resigning at Arkansas.

Nutt agreed to a contract late Monday night, and replaces Ed Orgeron, who was fired Sunday after the Rebels lost to rival Mississippi State and finished 3-9.

The hiring of Nutt was confirmed by a person close to the program who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the announcement had not yet been made.

Nutt resigned even though the Razorbacks upset then-No. 1 LSU 50-48 in triple overtime last week.

The school planned an announcement on its coaching situation later Tuesday.

Perfect fit for a .500 coach.

Since when does 75 - 48 classify as a .500 coach? He was 42 - 40 in the SEC. His teams won or shared three Southeastern Conference Western Division titles, made two appearances in the SEC Championship game, and played in the 1999 Citrus Bowl, 2000 Cotton Bowl, 2000 Las Vegas Bowl, 2002 Cotton Bowl, 2002 Music City Bowl, 2003 Independence Bowl and 2007 Capital One Bowl.

His teams went 9-3 with a No. 16 final ranking in 1998, 8-4 with a No. 17 ranking in 1999, 6-6 in 2000, 7-5 in 2001, 9-5 in 2002, 9-4 in 2003, 5-6 in 2004, 4-7 in 2005, 10-4 with a No. 15 final ranking in 2006 and 8-4 with a current No. 25 ranking this season.

It was probably time for him to move on, but Razorback fans should appreciate what he did while he was there. That rarely happens on forums and to talk smack against Ole Miss for hiring him only shows football ignorance.

Edited by Pen Yan Fan

Since when does 75 - 48 classify as a .500 coach? He was 42 - 40 in the SEC. His teams won or shared three Southeastern Conference Western Division titles, made two appearances in the SEC Championship game, and played in the 1999 Citrus Bowl, 2000 Cotton Bowl, 2000 Las Vegas Bowl, 2002 Cotton Bowl, 2002 Music City Bowl, 2003 Independence Bowl and 2007 Capital One Bowl.

His teams went 9-3 with a No. 16 final ranking in 1998, 8-4 with a No. 17 ranking in 1999, 6-6 in 2000, 7-5 in 2001, 9-5 in 2002, 9-4 in 2003, 5-6 in 2004, 4-7 in 2005, 10-4 with a No. 15 final ranking in 2006 and 8-4 with a current No. 25 ranking this season.

It was probably time for him to move on, but Razorback fans should appreciate what he did while he was there. That rarely happens on forums and to talk smack against Ole Miss for hiring him only shows football ignorance.

I 100% agree. He has done a great job there and I'm sure he got tired of dealing with the crazy Razorback fans. He will do a good job at Ol' Miss. This coaching carousel has been nuts (no pun intended). It amazes me how fast the resigning/firing and hiring process is moving.

I 100% agree. He has done a great job there and I'm sure he got tired of dealing with the crazy Razorback fans. He will do a good job at Ol' Miss. This coaching carousel has been nuts (no pun intended). It amazes me how fast the resigning/firing and hiring process is moving.

I predict that Nutt has immediate success there at Ole Miss. Ed Orgeron, if nothing else was a GREAT RECRUITER. He landed some great classes over there. So, Nutt ought to have a lot of talent to work with.

Edited by SUMG

I predict that Nutt has immediate success there at Ole Miss. Ed Orgeron, if nothing else was a GREAT RECRUITER. He landed some great classes over there. So, Nutt ought to have a lot of talent to work with.

Not to mention that he has played against them and knows the team. Good move for Nutt, Ole Miss fans don't expect a NC every year, so there will be less pressure. Time will tell if it is a good move for Ole Miss.

Time for him to move on. Yes 75 - 48 is better than .500, but the conference record was .500 and check out many of those 78 non-conf. wins and who they were against. One of the SEC Western Division titles was by default of Bama having to forfiet games. The bowl record is horrendous.

Great hire for Ole Miss. He gets a Texas boy next year who people call a quitter at UT (Snead). Watch out SEC, Ole Miss will have some more fire power.

Snead is a class act, a helluva player and knows how to win. People bombed him, like they bomb Mendoza, unjustified.

Snead could very well be in trouble - Nutt had Mitch Mustain as a QB and Nutt ran him off so that he could play Casey Nutt.

Im pretty sure most Texas fans were all pretty supportive of Snead so it's clear to me that you don't know what the hell you are talking about. The Mendoza reference is further proof.

Oh Yeah, go look at all the old Snead posts. Almost all were bashing the kid for wanting his opportunity to play and being a puss for not competing.

My Mendoza reference was right on the money. Mendoza is the man for the plan. People will be sucking wind next season when he turns it around.

Oh Yeah, go look at all the old Snead posts. Almost all were bashing the kid for wanting his opportunity to play and being a puss for not competing.

My Mendoza reference was right on the money. Mendoza is the man for the plan. People will be sucking wind next season when he turns it around.

who cares what UNT fans think about a UT QB? I know that UT fans liked him a lot. The competition was pretty even between he and Colt going into the 2006 season.

Regarding Mendoza, I hope you're right. I have no problem saying I want our DC to be successful. Im not sure what you have seen that would lead you down that road- besides the bottom of his taint, obviously.

Im also not sure why you have to have such a militant, matter-of-fact tone to your posts.

I wonder now if the BCA will attack Ole Miss now like their doing A&M for hiring a coach to fast.