Excessive Celebration Penalties

UNTflyer

Those were two of the worst penalties I have ever seen.

On the first, Fitzgerald did a chest bump with a teammate or something and that drew a flag. I'm not sure what he did, but it was quick and minimal at best. The next time he scored, he shook his head as teammates approached him to congratulate him and then ran off the field.

The second one was stunning. Dibrell, with the ball tucked under one arm, held his other arm up in the air as he approached the goalline. As he was crossing the goalline, the referee threw the flag. For holding his arm up. For holding his freaking arm up. FOR HOLDING UP HIS ARM! Unbelievable. The refs were closely watching every celebration by both teams. Just horrible.

So you like the excitement and energy of college football? Apparently the refs do not.

Edited by Smitty

I was at the game and obviously couldn't hear anything. Can anyone tell me how we completed on a 4th down and 15 (for a 1rst down) from our own endzone that resulted in a safety for Navy? How in the world did this happen? We were trying to make our comeback, and completed that 4 and 15 which got called back and resulted in Navy getting 2 points. On the punt to Navy afterward, they ran it back for a TD... 9 points in a minute or two... that was the true turning point in the game... please tell me that safety call was legit???

I was at the game and obviously couldn't hear anything. Can anyone tell me how we completed on a 4th down and 15 (for a 1rst down) from our own endzone that resulted in a safety for Navy? How in the world did this happen? We were trying to make our comeback, and completed that 4 and 15 which got called back and resulted in Navy getting 2 points. On the punt to Navy afterward, they ran it back for a TD... 9 points in a minute or two... that was the true turning point in the game... please tell me that safety call was legit???

A holding call in the end zone.

Guest JohnDenver

Holding in the endzone...

I think it was Fitzgerald who got the first, holding up the claw to the crows.

Dibrell got the second for even less, he just put a #1 in the air.

Both were ridiculous.

It not like anyone did the Heisman pose, or the Gorilla... or threw a grenade.

Those are the rules. The coaches and the players know them. What is a disgrace is that we continue to be an undisciplined team.

Dibrell was putting his #1 sign up at about the 10 yard line....it was the correct call and I was yelling at him before he crossed the goal line.

Guest JohnDenver

If it is then why is it never called?

No joke. I see longhorns going up all the time as they run across the goal.

I see dudes chest bump all the time.

I don't think it was the right call. I don't think it is the rule either.

"Coordinated celebration" is a rule. Excessive is a rule.. but they are almost hand in hand.

A finger in the air, or a school hand sign, it far from those.

Those are the rules. The coaches and the players know them. What is a disgrace is that we continue to be an undisciplined team.

Dibrell was putting his #1 sign up at about the 10 yard line....it was the correct call and I was yelling at him before he crossed the goal line.

That is never called, even at the high school level... Terrible calls, but the not reason we lost.

Edited to include the word not.

Edited by scotty474

The friends I was with asked me why the refs were so bad? My only explanation is they were SUNBELT officials. Sunbelt officials are worse than a majority of HS officials.