Fau Is In A Serious Attendance Slump

NT80

Keeping kids in the area is the plan. In the past, the players a notch below the caliber of athletes recruited by the big 3 of UM, UF, and FSU would have to leave the state to play college ball. Now a lot of those players now going to UCF, USF, FAU, and FIU. It is no coincidence that you are seeing the growth in these teams. It is also the reason that UCF, FAU, and FIU have built or are building new stadiums on campus. They all need these facilities to compete for recruits.

Hmmm...sure would be nice if all those recruits heading northbound on 35 to non-Texas Big 12 schools, and to the four winds, could be brought to a screeching halt in Denton, Texas.

Keeping kids in the area is the plan. In the past, the players a notch below the caliber of athletes recruited by the big 3 of UM, UF, and FSU would have to leave the state to play college ball. Now a lot of those players now going to UCF, USF, FAU, and FIU. It is no coincidence that you are seeing the growth in these teams. It is also the reason that UCF, FAU, and FIU have built or are building new stadiums on campus. They all need these facilities to compete for recruits.

Welcome to the board and great game Saturday.

Perhaps that's the reason Florida State seems to be fading over the past few years. Those two and three star guys that used to maybe walk-on there can now get a scholarship and really play ball at UCF, USF, FAU and FIU.

I hope that kind of thing happens here. We've banked on that by hiring a local high school coach. TCU's done well for itself. Although SMU bites, the were 6-6 last year. There talent is here, with the speed we need. We just hope they'd rather come here than go walk on at Texas or Tech or OU in the future.

Yes, much better. You have a chip on your shoulders about the FU's and I can see why... we are 0-3 against the Owls. If we played our home games in Waco, our attendance would be about the same.

20 miles, big deal. Playing a Big 10 team should draw more than a scrimmage crowd. If we want a real 1-A football league fans should act like it too...and show up for games like that.

20 miles, big deal. Playing a Big 10 team should draw more than a scrimmage crowd. If we want a real 1-A football league fans should act like it too...and show up for games like that.

Well the game was played at Dolphin Stadium, which is 40 miles away from campus.

I agree that it shouldn't matter, and you agree that it shouldn't matter, but you guys are in the same situation we are with attendance...how much would those 40 miles hurt your crowd sizw? Those of us who post on these message boards are the program's core fans...we'll go anyplace to watch our teams play...But what about the average fan? What about most of your student body? Would they travel 40 miles from campus to the game? Think to yourself how playing 40 miles from your campus, even against a team like Minnesota, who despite being a Big 10 member, doesn't have much of a national following, would effect your attendance?

I'm not saying it is excusable for students and fans to not show up, but this is the reality of our (and most SB teams) current situation. Playing off campus is an attendance killer. We've only been around a short time, and while our attendance is getting better, it is not where it needs to be yet...and likely won't be until we get on campus.

Edited by fauowls44

Here you go my friend.

Average attendance from 2006

North Texas-15650

FAU-9182

North Texas has also had crowds of 23,000+ for close OOC games(SMU, Tulsa, Baylor) and we won two of those. You need to do something to get more people out there.

What I meant was that we both struggle with drawing fans to our games, not that we get the same numbers as you do. Obviously, you have a higher per game average. You also play on campus, which is mostly my point in why we struggle so much with attendance. But, I read on here is how you guys wish the crowds were bigger, or that more students would come to the games, etc. Just saying we are in the same situation in that we wish more people came to our home games.

Also, just curious on how many opposing team fans traveled for those games against SMU, Tulsa, and Baylor? We had about 400 Minnesota fans there on Saturday.

Edited by fauowls44

What I meant was that we both struggle with drawing fans to our games, not that we get the same numbers as you do. Obviously, you have a higher per game average. You also play on campus, which is mostly my point in why we struggle so much with attendance. But, I read on here is how you guys wish the crowds were bigger, or that more students would come to the games, etc. Just saying we are in the same situation in that we wish more people came to our home games.

Also, just curious on how many opposing team fans traveled for those games against SMU, Tulsa, and Baylor? We had about 400 Minnesota fans there on Saturday.

Piling on you makes people feel (whoa, pulled a playmaker on the original spelling, although he's been doing a good job lately) better about not being able to beat you. Damn it man, why can't you understand that?

Edited by Quoner

NT's Fouts Field (Total Distance: 53.18 miles) is more than twice as far as as SMU's Ford Stadium (Total Distance: 18.71 miles) from where I live in Southern Dallas County. I would love it if my alma mater played in the Cotton Bowl (Total Distance: 18.51 miles) or Texas Stadium (Total Distance: 21.56 miles), but I gladly pack up and make the 1-hour-plus drive to watch the MEAN GREEN play on Saturday's. I know I don't make as many Basketball games as I would like, but rush hour traffic is a bitch.