Thoughts

mad dog

First off, I think everyone in green should have their head held high today. Was last night a winnable game? Absolutely. Were there still rough spots that need to be worked on? Absolutely. But was it a hell of a game? I think I speak for just about everyone there when I say "Absolutely," as well.

Heroes:

Daniel Meager - Just look at the stat sheet. Yardage, completions, touchdowns. He was a true leader out there, and I think he gave us a chance to win the ball game. All this, of course, in his second game in a completely new system. Not bad, danny boy.

Truman Spencer - Punted great all night long. Kept the field position game in our favor. I can't remember anything he did that hurt us.

Maurice Holman - This guy is a leader on the defense. Plays physical, and kept bringing his teammates, and the crowd, back with big hits, tips, and tackles.

Aaron Weathers - Read Maurice Holman

Casey Fitzgerald - He had one drop on a crossing route that hit him in the shoulder pad. I think he caught just about everything else last night.

Micah Mosely - Just a warrior. The first guy might bring him down every so often, but Micah will take him a few extra yards before he goes down.

Goats:

Daniel Meager - While I am convinced at least one of those picks was a receiver running the wrong route, the fact remains that the game was over when he threw that pick-six. If i'm going to bag on Vizza for doing that, I'm going to say the exact same thing of Meager. I think he got his confidence going strong early in the game, but then I think he got overconfident and started thinking he couldn't be beat. I think if he had executed the offense better, instead of trying to hit the home runs, we might be talking about a hell of a victory today.

Adam Venegas - Just killed us with false starts. One is understandable. But, when you do that, you're putting the offense in a hole you have to dig out from. And several times, we didn't.

Brandon Jackson - I know this one is going to be a little controversial, but I think the two biggest missed opportunities rest on his shoulders. At the end of the first half, Daniel Meager throws a perfect fade that hits him in the hands and was dropped. Granted it was a difficult catch, but he got his hands on it, and it should have been hauled in for six. Then there was the TD catch where he ran out of bounds. That's a 14 point swing that ties the current final score up.

Time management - Needs to improve. At the end of the game, about 30 seconds ran off the clock before the play even got in. Then, with checkbacks, you're looking at almost 45 seconds of wasted time. And THEN the team took a timeout.

Good game, and I'm proud the team never gave up. How about a 99 yard touchdown drive to tie the score up late in the fourth? Would we ever have seen that under Dickey? I don't know. But I saw a ton of games where we got behind, and just could never catch up. The team did that several times, and I'm proud as I can possibly be after a loss. Good fighting, guys. Keep getting better and we'll see you on the 22nd.

Micah Mosely was amazing and if you were going to put together a highlight reel, the hit of the night belongs to Tobe Nwigwe. He drilled some guy on a kick off and left him checking for his teeth.

If this was the one that put 2 blockers through their own kick returner, that was one of the best hits I've ever seen.

Nice job on the Heroes and Goats.

I think we need to add the DBs to the Goat list or at least the DC who allowed the soft coverage and the team to get beat through the air consistently. The most sting has to come after the offense moves down the field and scores only to see their score get match within minutes. The drive at the end of the 1st Half and start of the 2nd half were killers.

Hopefully the Defense can get shored up with the bye week, maybe everybody's 3 heroes (Banks, Gilmore, and Green) can get out of the doghouse and play to their hyped potential to get ready for Conference Opener.

Fitzgerald played amzing except for the drop and then the catch and fumble that allowed SMU to drive at end of the half.

Adam Venegas - Just killed us with false starts. One is understandable. But, when you do that, you're putting the offense in a hole you have to dig out from. And several times, we didn't.

That made me sick.

I was hearing "False Start #74 offense" in my sleep. I understand people make mistakes but the same mistake 3 times in the same drive?