Sooner Fan Here...

FWSooner

Good morning, Mean Green. I have been lurking on your board for the past month or so as the anticipation for this upcoming season has been building. It is finally almost game day!

I wanted to let you know that despite what the Sooner football forums indicate, Sooner fans are a gracious group and probably one of the friendliest bunch of fans visiting teams. If you talk to Sooner fans, you will find that they are generally passionate about college football, in general, and can talk X's and O's. I always enjoy interacting with fans from other teams before and after the game and I look forward to meeting North Texas fans as well.

It is great to read this board because your fans have so much optimism about the new regime in place in Denton. I think that Todd Dodge is a huge get for North Texas and should easily out-recruit your fellow Sun Belt conference teams. It would be a good time to get some season tickets, and from what I have read they are selling briskly.

I am looking forward to this matchup this weekend. I think it will be a great test for both teams to evaluate their strengths and weaknesses early in the season. I am a fan of the defense, so I look forward to seeing how your experienced defense schemes against OU's offense.

If you have any questions about Norman, what to expect, where to park, where to eat, etc...just ask!

Here's to a hard-fought, injury free game!

Thank you for being so gracious, FWSooner, and welcome to the board! I do actually have a question...what is the current RB situation there at OU? I have heard reports that Allen Patrick might play, which conflicts with reports that he will not. Also, I had also heard the backup RB might be out as well. What's the word?

See you tomorrow FWSooner. I'm wondering when you attended OU and why did you choose to attend Oklahoma instead of a Texas school, especially, if the FW stands for Ft. Worth, you have to travel right past an excellent University ?

You'll laugh at this, but we're coming to Norman to win.

I appreciate your wish for a hard fought and injury free game. Joe

Thanks for the warm welcome!

To address a few questions...

I don't think the Sooner nation knows much about Allen Patrick's status for the game. The indications are that he will probably start and get a handful of carries, however I can't imagine him playing on a tender ankle for too long. I expect to see DeMarco Murray and Mossis Madu get the bulk of the carries.

I attended OU for law school. Sorry that UNT doesn't have one, or I would have considered attending! I have heard rumors for years about them starting one...we'll see.

Best places to get hammered - The Mont (great margaritas and queso) located North and East of campus on Boyd. My favorite is The Library- it is great spot if you like micro-brews and not too big so the crowds are minimal. It is North of Campus on Boyd. Also, you can't go wrong with Campus Corner just North of campus and the stadium. There are some great bars there such as Louie's, Brothers, and others. South of the stadium is O'Connells. Another great spot.

You'll laugh at this, but we're coming to Norman to win.

I appreciate your wish for a hard fought and injury free game. Joe

No way would I laugh at that! I know that TCU felt the same way when they came and beat OU in Norman a few seasons ago. I know that Boise State felt the same way this past season. I am a huge Sooner fan, but also a fan of college football because anything can happen! Sure the losses sting, but it makes the victories so much sweeter.

Welcome to the board FW. I'm from Muskogee and have attended many OU game years ago when I lived outside norman near dirtybird lake.

My question is where to park these days? Someone here at work said its best to park at Loyd Noble and take the shuttle to the stadium. if so does the shuttle run several times? I like to get the stadium early and our tickets have to be picked up at the Box office (my son plays for NT so we get free tickets) north of gate 1 on the SW side of the stadium at 4:30

Edited by MeanGreenPOP

Welcome to the board FW. I'm from Muskogee and have attended many OU game years ago when I lived outside norman near dirtybird lake.

My question is where to park these days? Someone here at work said its best to park at Loyd Noble and take the shuttle to the stadium. if so does the shuttle run several times? I like to get the stadium early and our tickets have to be picked up at the Box office (my son plays for NT so we get free tickets) north of gate 1 on the SW side of the stadium at 4:30

You will notice that Norman can hardly handle the game day traffic. The one-lane streets near campus swell with cars hours before kick-off. Of course you can try to park closer to the stadium, but it gets pricey the closer you get. I would recommend parking at Lloyd Noble for convenience if you don't want to mess with the traffic near the stadium. There are several shuttles designated for getting folks to the stadium, so it should be coming and going quite frequently. Since you said you wanted to pick up your tickets at 4:30, you should be fine taking the shuttle to the stadium at that time. I usually like to get to the stadium 45 minutes prior to kickoff (so does everyone else, it seems!) to see the pre-game warm ups and soak in the atmosphere.

You must be very excited for your son! What a neat experience for both of you!

Will I have to worry about receiving a torn scrotum for wearing a Mean Green shirt?

What a crazy story, huh? Sooner fans did some research on the guy and it turned out that he was actually a former Oklahoma State student. Whomever wrote the article speculated that the, um, tearer was a Sooner fan. You should be fine.

Welcome to the board, FWSooner. Thanks for your kind words and attitude. If more Sooners had your temperment, it would make it a lot easier to pick sides in October... :)

I appreciate the kind words. I work with several college football fans from schools all over the Big XII and Texas in general. I have always found that it is much better to be a good ambassador for your school than to be the reason people think your school has bad fans. Sportsmanship goes a long way. I am confident that you will experience good sportsmanship this weekend in Norman as long as you show it yourself.

I appreciate the kind words. I work with several college football fans from schools all over the Big XII and Texas in general. I have always found that it is much better to be a good ambassador for your school than to be the reason people think your school has bad fans. Sportsmanship goes a long way. I am confident that you will experience good sportsmanship this weekend in Norman as long as you show it yourself.

Noted.

But I'm not here to make friends. Except with sweet, sweet Playmaker.

What a crazy story, huh? Sooner fans did some research on the guy and it turned out that he was actually a former Oklahoma State student. Whomever wrote the article speculated that the, um, tearer was a Sooner fan. You should be fine.

---Sounds about right. In Texas a few years ago a suspected Tech fan slugged an Aggie Fan and relative of our "fine???" Governor. Turns out it was another very confused Aggie slugging his fellow Aggie fan. There was Aggie outrage for a while until it was discovered who the "Thug" really was.

PS: Speaking of Thugs... I can name a lot people working in education in Texas that would love to bypass the Governor's relative. His line veto of health insurance for community college profs caused "my raise" to be cancelled in order to pay for the insurance that the state had previously provided.