Thoughts On The Smu Game

emmitt01

--Maybe I should retract some of kind remarks about Southern-Stang.

Winning every game?? --- that sure isn't an Ol'Miss problem... their past two years looks similar to our past two.

Finest in the South.... ok.... I really don't consider Texas "the South"..... We are in the Southwest with three cities in the largest 10 in America....When my family settled on the WESTERN frontier. they meant Texas... not Mississippi or any other Southern state..All these old WESTERNS (movies) mention Texas often, not southern states.. The Southwest when including Oklahoma and New Mexico is likely larger than "Then South"... Billy the Kid (West Texas/New Mexico), Sam Bass (Denton) and Wes Hardin (shot/killed Brownwood deputy sheriff) and even Cole Younger (lived in Ft. Worth but appeared in Brownwood rather often) are WESTERN outlaws in Texas but in not Mississippi. Texas is not really a Southern State, just south of many states.

--I guess you are telling us Ol' Miss is a party school... I had not noticed the state listed near in top in academics anyway or even mentioned as headquarters of major companies including any in the modern Tech-industry as in TI etc...

12,000 ..that is a little over 1/3 the size of North Texas but larger than SMU ..not very large for the leading state-supported school in a state. .

Does Oxford have great Mexican food places...?? darn... my favorite food out here in West Texas....

PS: Old ain't necessarily good... if so .. then I am great. If old is good then black/white TVs with vacuum tubes are great.... I'll pass for my hi-def color one with TEXAS-Instrument chips (DLP).

Hey hey now.. I don't mean anything bad towards UNT or SMU in what I was saying. Any college (save Mississippi State) is going to have plenty of gorgeous women, especially in the warmer region areas. If the weather's nicer, it requires the ladies to wear less clothes meaning you have to keep more in-shape. No complaining. I was just merely roughlin' some tail-feathers about who had the hottest co-eds. Go to a game and go to Oxford, Mississippi. If you don't like girls that doll themselves up and always put on their Sunday best for a football game, then Ole Miss gals wouldn't be for you. But the beauty of Ole Miss co-eds isn't some secret that's just being revealed to y'all.. I am sure. Other SEC schools (who are ALL stocked with talent) love it when they get to visit The Grove to scope out the "scenery." Oxford really is an awesome place to go. Hope you get the chance to visit the campus and especially The Grove and The Square sometime. I'm not saying the state it's in is better than Texas (Mississippi sucks.. I have no qualms with that). In fact, most Mississippians don't like Ole Miss. They like State and Southern b/c Ole Miss doesn't identify with the most of the state. I was just sticking up for the high caliber and quality bred female population that attend the school dear to me and my family. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ole Miss doesn't want to get larger.. (thread officially de-railed). Ole Miss is to UVA what SMU is to Vanderbilt. A solid back up. All 4 have similar campuses and social scenes. SMU follows in Vandy's foot steps, Ole Miss does the same with UVA -- campus size, etc. I think UNT has immense potential, especially considering it's location in north Texas. UNT and UH, with their enrollment #'s and locations, should be dominating - now it's time for both schools to live up to their potential. And for the record, no one from Ole Miss will say there isn't limited potential with the school size, location, and... well -- not so politically correct history. Add that to playing in the same divison as Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Arkansas, and getting UGA, UF, UT, and South Carolina (who decided to become good now) in some sort of mix every year and you're going to have a rough go at it.

And really, academic smack? C'mon.. I think it's ridiculous when anyone pulls that card. Ole Miss is 3rd tier, UNT is 4th tier. So what? All my family went there. They've all done fine. I went to SMU and my cousin went to Duke. I got into a better law school. It's what you do with where you're at that matters most. As you all know, there are successful UNT alumni out there, and there are people at Harvard who probably make nickles and dimes. The school doesn't make the person. Now, seeing that Screaming Eagle wants to retract some of his comments about me being objective... it kinda took some of the starch out of my collar and the creases out of my pressed madras.

Cheers! Is that better Screaming-Eagle?

And yes, the Mexican food outside of Texas sucks. I miss that most about Texas cuisine. But c'mon, beef as BBQ? There's a special place in hell reserved for whoever invented the 8th deadly sin. :P

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But c'mon, beef as BBQ? There's a special place in hell reserved for whoever invented the 8th deadly sin. :P

Okay, you've just been elevated to moron status.

And to answer the question posed in the title of this never-ending thread....

"We'll kick their A$$ again, only this time in their house!"

Some of the "visitors" to this board are really fun to read.

ArkStateFan (sorry if my spelling of his handle is off) has a deep historical and contemporary knowledge of the collegiate athletic scene. You can tell that this is an enjoyable hobby for him, as he knows so much, and is analytical like a good attorney.

And, SouthernMustang is one of the nicest and entertaining posters around.

Just my two cent comments.

Southern-Stang--- I never said anything bad about Ol' Miss females... just that I don't really consider us part of the old South. Texas was pretty undeveloped by the time of the American Civil War and the Calvert (small town near A&M) was the end of RR and actually a pretty large and prosperous town in 1860 by Texas standards of the time (4th? behind San Antonio, Nacogdoches, and someone) . Dallas/Ft Worth was pretty much a unknown then. We fit a Western state much better than a southern one.

--It just seemed as if you were trying to put us down (again typical of SMU attitude-- which I had never seen in your posts before).

---Those US-News ranking are a joke... most are in the East near New York and Media centers (I'll be their staff have a lot of their grads) plus the nuts even once Princeton listed as a great law school .. the problem was they did not even have one at that time, just a pre-law program. They do now. They even had East Texas (now ET-A&M) rated even with North Texas... they have got to be kidding.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

But c'mon, beef as BBQ? There's a special place in hell reserved for whoever invented the 8th deadly sin. :P

I'm going to say this... texans have an overinflated sense of their BBQ. To me, BBQ isn't smoked meat with a side of runny BBQ sauce. (Sonny Bryan's, Colters, and other "BBQ" joints in Texas).

BBQ is taking a bowl of your family's secret sauce and brushing it onto the meat, cooking on the grill until it's seared and thick and makes a mess when you eat it.

I'm going to say this... texans have an overinflated sense of their BBQ. To me, BBQ isn't smoked meat with a side of runny BBQ sauce. (Sonny Bryan's, Colters, and other "BBQ" joints in Texas).

In my experience, Texas' best BBQ is found in central and south texas. I haven't had much luck in the Dallas area. Spring Creek, Colters, and Dickey's are all terrible, and are not representative of the great BBQ joints that can be found across this great state.

There's nothing that beats a slow cooked, smoked brisket that just falls apart as you cut it.

Edited by Eagle1855

BBQ is taking a bowl of your family's secret sauce and brushing it onto the meat, cooking on the grill until it's seared and thick and makes a mess when you eat it.

Memphis/Alabama barbecue uses a far runnier sauce than does true barbecue (Texas BBQ). And it's vinegary, instead of the thick, sweet, mouthwatering nectar that anyone blessed enough to spend a lot of time in Texas has come to love. As for cooking it on the grill until it's seared--well, slow cooking over hickory/mesquite or similar smoke is the only way to do barbecue. If it ain't smoked, it ain't barbecue.

Okay, first off Texans should always be capitalized.

Secondly, in this post you qualify BBQ as meat brushed with your family's secret sauce and "cooking on the grill until it's seared and thick and makes a mess when you eat it." Later you state "As for cooking it on the grill until it's seared--well, slow cooking over hickory/mesquite or similar smoke is the only way to do barbecue. If it ain't smoked, it ain't barbecue." You've got to make up you mind.

Okay, first off Texans should always be capitalized.

Secondly, in this post you qualify BBQ as meat brushed with your family's secret sauce and "cooking on the grill until it's seared and thick and makes a mess when you eat it." Later you state "As for cooking it on the grill until it's seared--well, slow cooking over hickory/mesquite or similar smoke is the only way to do barbecue. If it ain't smoked, it ain't barbecue." You've got to make up you mind.

Texans should always be capitalized, yes.

I did not post that 2nd line. ;)

Texans should always be capitalized, yes.

I did not post that 2nd line. ;)

My bad...that was MeanGreen 93-98.

So, Texans must be capitalized and seared meat is just, well, uh, seared meat. Low and slow is the only way.

Southern-Stang--- I never said anything bad about Ol' Miss females... just that I don't really consider us part of the old South. Texas was pretty undeveloped by the time of the American Civil War and the Calvert (small town near A&M) was the end of RR and actually a pretty large and prosperous town in 1860 by Texas standards of the time (4th? behind San Antonio, Nacogdoches, and someone) . Dallas/Ft Worth was pretty much a unknown then. We fit a Western state much better than a southern one.

--It just seemed as if you were trying to put us down (again typical of SMU attitude-- which I had never seen in your posts before).

---Those US-News ranking are a joke... most are in the East near New York and Media centers (I'll be their staff have a lot of their grads) plus the nuts even once Princeton listed as a great law school .. the problem was they did not even have one at that time, just a pre-law program. They do now. They even had East Texas (now ET-A&M) rated even with North Texas... they have got to be kidding.

Alright, I'm pretty sure we just mis-read each other posts then. I'd go back and re-read what we both put.. but I'm feeling lazy.. and no harm, no foul. I thought you were talking about Ole Miss in the last post, and not SMU. And when I was talking why SMU people were mad, I was saying why I thought people over on PonyFans were mad, not why I was upset with the program. I did say some things about why I thought SMU should be good, but that wasn't to derogate why UNT shouldn't be good (or however ur supposed to say that, sure I butchered it). I think both programs have underwhelmed the past 3 years.. immensely.. considering their locations.

I completely agree Texas isn't the South. The South is Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and parts of Virginia, some would throw Louisiana in there but that place is just wack. There was a guy over on the Baylor Board (a Texas Tech fan though) that tried to convince me Texas was the "Deep South." I said.. put John Wayne in a movie setting in Alabama or Georgia. Now put Gone With the Wind in Texas... doesn't work? Exactly. Texas is great. I loved it. But of course, since the Deep South is my home, I love it too. Although I think most Southern states should take notes and learn how Texas has learned to more evenly distribute the wealth -- a lot more middle class exists in Texas, which sadly, isn't as prevalent in many Southern states. Although NC and Virginia and parts of GA have gotten better. But that's a completely diff topic.

I agree the USNews rankings are a joke. That's why I pointed out Ole Miss being 3rd tier. Ole Miss has the same admissions standards as UConn. Yet UConn is a Top-75 school. Could the ranking have to do with the fact no one in New York in the US News HQs thinks ANYTHING good could POSSIBLY come out of Mississippi? Absolutely. That's why schools like SMU, Vandy, Tulane, TCU will get the edge -- b/c they're "private." I think it's bogus, but that's just how it is. Some schools need that to justify their tuition costs by rankings (cough cough SMU/Tulane/Duke/Vandy/etc cough cough), others just don't care. Princeton still doesn't have a law school, but I do remember that.. I should've made a fake JD that year, shown it was real, and skipped this whole extra 3 years of school crap.

Now as for this whole beef thing... please come to Tuscaloosa, Al and sit down and eat a rack of pork ribs at Dreamland BBQ. There's also ones in Birmingham and Montgomery now I believe. The reason many of us Southern folk have problems with Texas BBQ is b/c so many believe it's just battering BBQ sauce on something "beef" and throwing it on the grill. That is a sin. I'm not going to say I don't think brisket is tasty. But there's nothing I like better than a slow roasted pulled-pork sandwich, with a huge class of sweet tea, some mac & cheese, and corn on the cob.

Now I'm hungry..

Stang...

Interesting.....seems no one want to claim the Hoggie-land (Arkansas) You don't claim them as a Southern State and most of us don't really claim them as Southwest either, especially those of us west of I-35.

Your are a law-student?? So is one of my sons, finished second year... He applied to SMU and Tx. Wesleyan but SMU drug their feet accepting him until he had paid fees to TWU. He is a full time software engineer in Dallas and going to TWU. He represented them in a recent law contest last Fall in Houston against a lot of regional law-schools. He did pretty well. Because he works full-time it will take him 3.5 years instead of the usual 3 years to graduate.

Food--almost everyplace has some great places...well maybe not England...awful. Different places just have different foods or maybe just prepared differently.

Stang...

Interesting.....seems no one want to claim the Hoggie-land (Arkansas) You don't claim them as a Southern State and most of us don't really claim them as Southwest either, especially those of us west of I-35.

Your are a law-student?? So is one of my sons, finished second year... He applied to SMU and Tx. Wesleyan but SMU drug their feet accepting him until he had paid fees to TWU. He is a full time software engineer in Dallas and going to TWU. He represented them in a recent law contest last Fall in Houston against a lot of regional law-schools. He did pretty well. Because he works full-time it will take him 3.5 years instead of the usual 3 years to graduate.

Food--almost everyplace has some great places...well maybe not England...awful. Different places just have different foods or maybe just prepared differently.

Yup... finished up second year in May. 1 more year, then... a job... now that is not something I like to think about. I had the same thing happen to me with Duke. As I'm sure SMU did with your son, they acted like I should drop everything and move on up to Durham. Not so fast.. glad I didn't, and very happy to be in Nashville. I'm sure he feels the same way. The application process was terrible, the only thing worse was the actual first year. Best of luck to him, that says a lot about someone to be able to juggle law school and a full-time job. I can barely handle just school.

Well, can you blame anyone for not wanting to claim Arkansas? Yeesh... haha, and yes -- the food in England bl*ws (I'd say sucks, but that's being complimentary). I survived on eating at the Texas Embassy while I was there for 2 weeks. No, really, that is a restaurant there..

If it ain't smoked, it ain't barbecue.

If it aint smoked in Mesquite or Pecan, two native trees of TEXAS, then it aint TEXAS barbecue. And TEXANS' should think highly of their barbecue because it's so good and unique to other places in the country. The original Ray Green's barbecue in Euless Texas, on Main St. won many multiple national cook-offs back in the 80's and 90's and was recognized as the best nationally by several national media outlets including The Wall Street Journal and CNN back in the early 90's. You would be surprised how many out of state barbecue restaurants drive down to Texas to purchase and haul back Mesquite.

By the way, I have recently come upon a steak recipe that involves mesquite wood. The individual that taught it to me could put many a steak houses to complete shame using his style of cooking steak. If I ever get a chance I'd love to(and owe it to) many of you with a sample for tailgating, especially JohnDenver. Maybe the most amazing part is you can eat it with a fork with no knife required. It's the most tender, juicy and flavoroush steak I've ever had.

Rick

Yup... finished up second year in May. 1 more year, then... a job... now that is not something I like to think about. I had the same thing happen to me with Duke. As I'm sure SMU did with your son, they acted like I should drop everything and move on up to Durham. Not so fast.. glad I didn't, and very happy to be in Nashville. I'm sure he feels the same way. The application process was terrible, the only thing worse was the actual first year. Best of luck to him, that says a lot about someone to be able to juggle law school and a full-time job. I can barely handle just school.

Well, can you blame anyone for not wanting to claim Arkansas? Yeesh... haha, and yes -- the food in England bl*ws (I'd say sucks, but that's being complimentary). I survived on eating at the Texas Embassy while I was there for 2 weeks. No, really, that is a restaurant there..

-- So You are in Nashville (Tennessee?) not at SMU. My #1 son only had two choices since he is a software engineer by day in Dallas. I gather his SMU experience was similar to your Duke one. He is very glad he made the choice he did although it involves a lot of driving, he is doing very well. Their latest bar exams results are close the others , Baylor is usually one of the two best in Texas, --the rest just bounce around in standings except for a couple of crummy ones.. WTU results are now similar to Tech, SMU, Houston, and some others.

---Been in London about four times.. I can actually remember one really good meal... and a lot of bad ones. Fish and chips in a pub is about as good it gets usually. Always eager to to France, Holland, or Germany to get a great meal. Italy can be good as well..

---If I am not mistaken the "Texas Embassy" you mentioned may be partially owned by the founder of the "Black-Eyed Pea". I actually knew his brothers in high school and knew him on sight (Brownwood, Tx.). I know he or a family member opened a restaurant in London and that sounds like the name I remember. Seems like it was in the Trafalgar Square area, have not seen it.

If it aint smoked in Mesquite or Pecan, two native trees of TEXAS, then it aint TEXAS barbecue. And TEXANS' should think highly of their barbecue because it's so good and unique to other places in the country. The original Ray Green's barbecue in Euless Texas, on Main St. won many multiple national cook-offs back in the 80's and 90's and was recognized as the best nationally by several national media outlets including The Wall Street Journal and CNN back in the early 90's. You would be surprised how many out of state barbecue restaurants drive down to Texas to purchase and haul back Mesquite.

By the way, I have recently come upon a steak recipe that involves mesquite wood. The individual that taught it to me could put many a steak houses to complete shame using his style of cooking steak. If I ever get a chance I'd love to(and owe it to) many of you with a sample for tailgating, especially JohnDenver. Maybe the most amazing part is you can eat it with a fork with no knife required. It's the most tender, juicy and flavoroush steak I've ever had.

Rick

Ahhh, North Main BBQ. Nothing better than all-you-can-eat on a Friday night. Just remember to bring your own adult beverages.

Care to share that steak recipe?