How Do We Perceive This Upcoming Season ?

calvin

I really thought even before DD was fired that we had a chance to be good/decent this year b/c we had so many returning starters especially since we had 10 on defense coming back. I thought if we could ever do anything offensively then we would have a chance to be good, but that was a big IF. I thought for the most part our defense was pretty good last year, we held Troy to only 14 points, didnt hardly give anything up against FAU, played great at UL-LA, they were good against Tulsa and Akron, so I thought with another year of experience they were going to be pretty good this year. In saying that how do we take this year, how do we measure sucess ?

My initial thoughts were it was going to be a hard transition to the spread offense, then I thought back to some teams that have had a lot of sucess switching to the spread. Just look at last year with Troy and Rice, it didnt seem like a tough transition and by the end of the year they were both really playing well. If Rice can switch and have sucess then surely we can, they might be the only team in the country that ran more than we did and they did it for years and years. Then also look at Houston, in their first year under Briles they switched to the spread and they had great sucess and even made a bowl game. So maybe the switch will not be as tough as we think.

So really how should we take this year ? If we go 5-7, or 4-8, will it be a failure, or will people say, well Dodge didnt have his guys and his recruits and the transition to the spread will take longer ? And if we go 9-3, or 8-4 will people say, well he had a lot of returning starters and had 10 coming back off a pretty good defense so this should have been expected? I am interested to hear people's take on this.

Unless he makes a string of questionable in-game decisions, Dodge can't lose the battle of perception this year. Their either Dickey's kids learning a new system if we lose or we all marvel at what he did with Dickey's kids if we win. He'll be really judged in 2008.

Personally I think we're around .500 as the learning curve sets in and the defense is asked to do more since a non-working spread offense doesn't kill much clock, but if everything clicks, a 7 or 8 win season isn't unheard of.

A knowledgable acquaintance, who's very successful at placing "friendly wagers" on sporting events, says that North Texas and how we will fare this season is one of the biggest mysteries in college football.

Norm?

A knowledgable acquaintance, who's very successful at placing "friendly wagers" on sporting events, says that North Texas and how we will fare this season is one of the biggest mysteries in college football.

As long as the DL stays healthy, I'm VERY excited about our defense and special teams. As far as the offense is concerned, I don't know if we're going to average 5 TD's a game or 5 picks a game. As you say, it is a total mystery to me also.

I have said since day one that I believe this team will win 5 games this season, with 6 being the best. I hope they prove me wrong. Just watching many teams go through transition times, especially knowing that this group of current offensive players was built for a ground oriented run game, going to a passing/spread offense, I think it will take a year of two for this team to really get back to winning the conference. I do think we will have very good attendence for the first half of the season, and then depending on how many we are able to win, will determine to a great extent what kind of crowds we will see in the second half.

Dont forget about Rice and Troy last year though. Troy offense was similary to ours and they were able to make the transition and RIce and option base team for many many years was able to make the switch and win 7 games this year. Those two examples right there make me optimistic that we can make the switch and be sucessful.

I have said since day one that I believe this team will win 5 games this season, with 6 being the best. I hope they prove me wrong. Just watching many teams go through transition times, especially knowing that this group of current offensive players was built for a ground oriented run game, going to a passing/spread offense, I think it will take a year of two for this team to really get back to winning the conference. I do think we will have very good attendence for the first half of the season, and then depending on how many we are able to win, will determine to a great extent what kind of crowds we will see in the second half.

--I agree.... I think a minimum will be 5 wins... a maximum is likely 9.

Dont forget about Rice and Troy last year though. Troy offense was similary to ours and they were able to make the transition and RIce and option base team for many many years was able to make the switch and win 7 games this year. Those two examples right there make me optimistic that we can make the switch and be sucessful.

I think you bring up several good points, and Troy and Rice are good examples to cite.

I agree, before the firing of DD, I thought we were poised to make a good run in 2007. In fact, before the 2006 season I remember posting that I didnt think 2006 would be all that great, but that 2007 would be a break-out year. I don't see why my opinion of that would change very much with what we perceive to be a "better coach" coming in with a somewhat talented recruiting class.

I think the defense will carry the team the first part of the season. If the offense starts clicking a couple games in, I see no reason why we couldnt win 7+ games. I mean, C-USA isnt any worse than the Sunbelt, and Rice was the runner-up in the West (2-points away from replacing the coogs in the C-USA championship game).

As always, our problems will be in the trenches, on both sides. Which is why I dont think you'll see those BIG seasons with double-digit wins until at least 08 and 09.

Unless he makes a string of questionable in-game decisions, Dodge can't lose the battle of perception this year. Their either Dickey's kids learning a new system if we lose or we all marvel at what he did with Dickey's kids if we win. He'll be really judged in 2008.

Just like the old joke.

Coach sits down at his new desk and finds a note from the previous coach and three numbered envelopes. The note says when things are really bad open an envelope.

The team goes 1-11

He opens the first enevelope and it says.

Blame me

So he tells everyone things will be better when his recruits are playing. The fans are satisfied.

The next year they go 3-9

He opens the next envelope and it says..

Blame the media

The coach rants about bad press and message boards hurting the team and recruiting. The fans are satisfied.

The next year they go 4-8

He opens the next envelope and it says...

Prepare three envelopes.

Dodge will get a pass this year unless there are just wild mistakes like not getting the right number of players on the field at critical times.

No matter what happens long-term, Dodge will be worth his money for the next two years simply due to the positive attitude brought to fans and for the attention created for the casual fan UNT needs to lure in to fund a high caliber program.

unless there are just wild mistakes like not getting the right number of players on the field at critical times.

I don't know. We kept a coach around for a little while after sending the punt team in without a punter. Trust me, some things you just can't make up.

The Rice transfer (Fentriss?) said in the spring game that we were further along at implementing the spread at this point than Rice was during the same time of their transition.

The D will keep us respectable until the offense starts rolling. I'm still waiting for the "how many points will we score on OU thread?" thread. Perhaps the same person that did the "who will score our first points" will be happy to oblige.

UNT's will score 10 points against OU, all in the 4th QTR. Meager gets the start but the offense will struggle against the NFL "D" of OU.

Hopefully, OU starts a unproven QB and hopefully things start off sluggish, which keeps the game farily respectable.

OU will start a QB with no experience and will keep their offense very vanilla, not wanting to show Miami anything, whom they play the following week and will be looking way ahead too. Me thinks OU will not care anything about NT, which is just fine with me. Hail the Underdogs! :)

Edited by NT80

Based on the players we had last season and the games we lost and for what reasons....I seriously would not be surprised if we won 5-6 games this year. However I will say all of that will depend on the QB we have playing. The spread offense will be a tough transition but if you have a competent QB that can make good decisions and plays then I think the talent will be there and will be good enough. Plus I think we have a good backfield in JMO and E-Rob. So I think this season will come down to two things....Dodge's coaching along with the QB situation.

Edited by Green Mean