New Recruit

CawClaw

With as many DB's as TD has been recruiting and now adding a JUCO to the mix, along with Raif Lundreen(sp?). It kinda makes you wonder what Td thinks of our current DB's. All we had been hearing was how athletic they were and their potential. Maybe TD doesn't see enough there from our current group. Thoughts??

With as many DB's as TD has been recruiting and now adding a JUCO to the mix, along with Raif Lundreen(sp?). It kinda makes you wonder what Td thinks of our current DB's. All we had been hearing was how athletic they were and their potential. Maybe TD doesn't see enough there from our current group. Thoughts??

Redshirt most newcomers ? An additional year to learn system & mature.

Guest GrayEagleOne

The fact that this player (Roman) has exceptional talent AND two years experience would put him ahead of any of our corners. TD has acknowledged the athleticism of our corners but they do not have that much experience. Green is the most experienced. He played considerably last year but just enough to letter the year before. Both Bush and Chatman played in all 12 games last year but Chatman was mostly on special teams. Nurudeen, if I remember correctly, only played in 8 games at Baylor and as a non-scholarship player you know that he didn't get a lot of playing time. So we have talent and athleticism but not the experience.

Personally, I look at Chatman more as a safety so maybe he gets moved there since we will lose four of our top five safeties.

You can never have enough athletes at DB. DB's get hurt, you have to face 4 and 5 WR sets these days, and DB's are the athletes that fill out the majority of special teams. Not to mention, we spent most of spring with our DB's struggling with hamstring injuries. He will get a legitimate shot to start.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Another point that I meant to make about our current CBs. Most had little experience as a DB in high school. Green played both ways but his highest acclaim was as a receiver. Bush was moved to quarterback and played that position as a senior. Chatman played his senior year as a running back. Washington, also transferred to quarterback in high school, was moved to wide receiver. I believe that they are the only ones with playing experience at North Texas. I don't believe that Oubre has played at North Texas and I can't find out a word about Nurudeen (of course, he didn't play at NT). Of the redshirts, only Gordon was primarily a DB, as far as I can tell. Neal played mostly on offense. If Ealey is made a corner, he would be another that has more experience of the offensive side of the ball.

While I'd think that he was recruited largely for his return ability, it is refreshing to have a player who is experienced at playing cornerback.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

I like this sign bt it still doesn't address the fact that we don't have a physical imposing hitter at the safety spot. I am hoping that Roy Loren fits that bill this season but we need to get some younger guys that will be here for awhile. Perhaps the young man from Vernon will fit that bill.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I like this sign bt it still doesn't address the fact that we don't have a physical imposing hitter at the safety spot. I am hoping that Roy Loren fits that bill this season but we need to get some younger guys that will be here for awhile. Perhaps the young man from Vernon will fit that bill.

Harry, I'm hoping that Bron Hager will be that player. He will be a strong safety and that's the hitter. I see Williams as more of a Knowlton/Weathers type; a smart player who knows where to be and will make a lot of tackles.

Another point that I meant to make about our current CBs. Most had little experience as a DB in high school. Green played both ways but his highest acclaim was as a receiver. Bush was moved to quarterback and played that position as a senior. Chatman played his senior year as a running back. Washington, also transferred to quarterback in high school, was moved to wide receiver. I believe that they are the only ones with playing experience at North Texas. I don't believe that Oubre has played at North Texas and I can't find out a word about Nurudeen (of course, he didn't play at NT). Of the redshirts, only Gordon was primarily a DB, as far as I can tell. Neal played mostly on offense. If Ealey is made a corner, he would be another that has more experience of the offensive side of the ball.

While I'd think that he was recruited largely for his return ability, it is refreshing to have a player who is experienced at playing cornerback.

He looked very good at blocking kicks as well... He must be very fast.

• 2 months later...