U N T Gets Another Committment

UNT gets another committment

11:18 PM CDT on Monday, June 4, 2007

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

North Texas used an old connection to secure a commitment from one of the top offensive linemen in South Texas and could soon be adding a quarterback with fresh ties to the program.

Eloy Atkinson, a tackle who plays for former UNT player Scott Ford at Los Fresnos, said Monday that he has orally committed to become a member of the Mean Green's 2008 recruiting class.

Former Plano West standout Eric Johnson could also soon be on his way to UNT. Johnson signed with SMU in 2005 before leaving the school in December.

Johnson spent the spring semester at Texas State, but is now planning to commit to UNT, which signed his brother J.J. Johnson in February.

J.J. Johnson was Plano West's center last season.

"I have been released from SMU and am interested in talking to North Texas," Eric Johnson said. "I am supposed to get with them sometime this week. If all goes well, I will be very excited about going there."

Johnson, 6-2, 215, was named the District 8-5A MVP as a senior at Plano West and was a member of the same recruiting class at SMU as former Ryan standout Justin Willis, who won the starting job. Johnson remained at SMU in a backup role before deciding to transfer to Texas State, where he spent the spring semester before deciding to head north to UNT.

Johnson would have three years of eligibility remaining at UNT, where he was have to sit out for a season.

"We played together at Plano West," J.J. Johnson said. "He was the starting quarterback when I was the backup center as a sophomore. It was a fun time."

Eric Johnson threw for 2,886 yards and 25 touchdowns while leading Plano West to a 10-2 record as a senior in 2004, when Ryan eliminated the Wolves from the playoffs, 17-14, in the area round. Tulane, Baylor, New Mexico State and Ohio were among the schools that showed interest in Johnson.

UNT signed San Antonio Alamo Heights standout Giovanni Vizza for its 2007 recruiting class and has three quarterbacks with starting experience who will be juniors next season.

Eric Johnson said he is not considering any other schools other than UNT because it offers the opportunity to play with his brother under new head coach Todd Dodge.

"I am looking forward to a chance to come in and compete," Eric Johnson said.

Atkinson is not nearly as familiar with UNT and the Dallas area as the Johnson brothers, but decided playing for the Mean Green would be the right choice after talking to Ford.

Ford played at UNT in 1992, when Dodge was the Mean Green's offensive coordinator.

"I really liked the coaches at North Texas and heard a lot about them," Atkinson said. "They won in the past and had a good tradition going at Southlake Carroll."

Atkinson (6-4, 270) is hoping to carry on that tradition after completing what has already been a solid career at Los Fresnos. Atkinson was a second-team All-District 32-5A selection last season while playing in the shadow of teammate Mario Benavides, an offensive lineman who has orally committed to Ole Miss.

"Eloy will be a great college player," Ford said. "We feel like he is neck and neck with Mario. The thing that impresses the coaches about Eloy is his ability to pull and move and that that he plays until the whistle. He knocks people clear out of the screen when you watch him on film."

UNT is the only team that has offered Atkinson a scholarship, but Utah, Kansas, Houston, Arizona, Iowa State, Texas State and Sam Houston were all actively recruiting him.

Oral commitments are non-binding, the first day players in the Class of 2008 can sign letters of intent is Feb. 7

"A lot of teams were recruiting me, but North Texas was the first to offer and I appreciated that," Atkinson said. "I was able to secure my future."

Atkinson has yet to take an official visit to UNT, but is scheduled to take a trip to Denton on July 21.

Atkinson is the fourth player to orally commit to UNT for its 2008 recruiting class.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

North Texas 2008 commitments

The following is a list of players who have orally committed to play for UNT beginning in the 2008 season

OL Eloy Atkinson Los Fresnos

OL Troy Franklin Celina

WR Willie Taylor Dallas Hillcrest

S Darien Williams Vernon

I think this offensive lineman is going to be pretty special if he can push people around like he was in the film.

Anyone else beside themselves about the 4 oral commitments this early in the [recruiting] game? I'm going to lay down for a minute cause I'm all light headed.

I like the fact that his coach stated he is neck and neck with the other OL on his team who is going to OLE MISS, and rated one of the best linemen in the state. I like the way our line is looking in the future already. Hopefully we can throw in a linemen or two from SLC, and I think we'd be set.

No more DD projects, kids coming in weighing 250. These kids already have the size, and have already made a name for themselves.

Even if we don't get another commit this class is better than anything DD ever brought in.