Tulsa Board - U N T Recruiting

Re: U of No Texas recruiting Reply

Neither kid had an offer from Tulsa. Nothing to worry about.

--------------------------------------------

Chris Harmon

Publisher & Managing Editor - InsideTulsaSports.com

per DRC:

Tulsa, Iowa State and Colorado State also offered Franklin a scholarship.

Taylor had a scholarship offer from Tulsa, while Utah was also recruiting him.

So did they have an offer or not?

Edited by greenminer

UNT has had two players committ to the football program, with their new coach, the last two days that listed Tulsa as programs recruiting them. One player said he had a scholarship offers from Tulsa and No Texas and chose No Texas. I believe he was a receiver. I'm aware that you sure the heck don't get nearly all the guys you offer, but it just stood out, losing out on 2 guys to No Texas looks like their new coach is doing a good job... and are we recruiting high enough level talent. I guess so, when you think of it because we aren't even getting them

Good God, that was painful to read. You can almost feel the Stupid.

Pretty fun to watch our regional rivals lift their brows and look over their shoulder as a sleeping giant of a program is being awakened in their own backyards. SMU and Tulsa in particular, as opposed to TCU which has been much kinder and congratulatory regarding the recent going-ons after Dodge was hired.

I like to think we're about to witness a great run in UNT football. Is it okay to keep drinking the green Kool-aid?

Edited by greenminer

As the thread continues, NT gettin' some respect :D

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator

Post #2118

MyFanPage

Add Buddy Re: U of No Texas recruiting Reply

i think north texas is a program with alot of potential,its being in the sun belt that hurts their image.

Posted on 6/1 3:33 PM | IP: Logged

its being in the sun belt that hurts their image.

I agree with that. Some preseason college sports magazines don't even list the SunBelt in their 1-A conference previews. Ya, I know we're stuck there now and we should make it the next SEC, blah, blah... Not going to happen. Our only chance is if Notre Dame joined the 'Belt..

Edited by NT80

--From the linked thred above:

"Dodge's contacts with the local high school coaches will definately be a asset in recruiting....at least initially. He will have to win to maintain the excitement now being generated. However, when it comes down to it.....IT IS NORTH TEXAS....IT IS THE SUNBELT CONFERENCE. If he wins in Denton, he will soon be winning somewhere else."

I agree with this. I expect us to still have a losing season this year and maybe the next given the new changes and it makes me think if he will have the recruiting success in 3 years that he is having right now.

--Also from the linked thred:

"He has a heck of a winning tradition and I agree completely if by his 3rd year he's winning at UNT, he'll be gone!!!

If you have children and you're not the boss in you're house---you're just the tallest person in your house. "

I also agree with this. Other thoughts?

Someone needs to mention that Dodge turned Bill Parcells down last year. Though he may leave in time, his sights will be much higher than Tulsa.

FWIW a UT acquaintance beleives that TD will be at North Texas for several years until Brown retires and then he will become the Longhhorn coach.

Edited by MeanGreen61

I agree with the post on TU website...it's the Sun Belt Conference that currently hurts our image...BUT, folks...we haven't been much of a factor even in the the Sun Belt Conference the last few yeras...let's get it back to a winning program...then we can worry about a new conference, losing Dodge, etc., etc. WOW! Wouldn't both of those things be great things to be worrying about? Hey, Donavan left Florida for the NBA...Nat'l Champs coach left....they all leave...hate to break it to ya! Let's get UNT on a winning roll first, and then we can all "chat" on GOMEANGREEN.COM when/if Coach Dodge will lleave and when/if we can get into a "better" conference than the Sun Belt. SOOOOOOOOO, first...let's get some "rear ends" in the seats for the home games this year...that means students, UNT faculty and UNT staff too....hey, the faculty and staff even get reduced price tickets.....come on...let's pack the stands...my wife and I will be there...hope to see you there too! GO MEAN GREEN!

Is it too much to dream of a coach that stays with one program throughout its rise to the top, retires from that program a legend, and lives forever in college football lore?

I'll continue to dream of RoboCoach who is not tempted by bright lights, big conference, big money. I know it's corny movie stuff but everyone has their own dreams.

Edited by Cr1028

Few openings would be able to take TD from this job, particularly if RV & UNT are prepared to keep up with market value for his ability to breed champions. After last fall its not surprising a system like TU would think all coaches can be bought for a few more bucks. If their new coach has a winning season perhaps he moves for the third time in as many seasons for a few more bucks. I don't think we have to worry about TD making a horizontal move for a few bucks or an elevation in exposure. To think he would turn down the top job at Texas would be a foolish bet, unless he can build UNT to a similar status by then. I think he will stay as long as UNT and the fans give him the support he needs to succeed.

I really think for Dodge to go to Austin, he will need to take us pretty darn close to the promised land.

See, I disagree with that. I believe after a couple of very successful years, maybe three, at NT, Dodge heads to Austin as one of Mack's top coordinators. Maybe Mac's Assistant HC. A few years under Mac and then everything is in place for a natural transition to the head position for Dodge.

Guest GrayEagleOne

See, I disagree with that. I believe after a couple of very successful years, maybe three, at NT, Dodge heads to Austin as one of Mack's top coordinators. Maybe Mac's Assistant HC. A few years under Mac and then everything is in place for a natural transition to the head position for Dodge.

Sorry, Deep, but I've got to disagree with you. Todd Dodge is a unique individual when it comes to character and integrity (in my opinion). We have a few things going for us...we gave him his first opportunity for college coaching; we gave him the his first chance to be a head coach in college; his wife is an UNT alumnus; and he doesn't have to change his surroundings unless he wants to. We also tripled his income overnight.

I can't recall a head coach stepping down to be a coordinator. Don't get me wrong. If Todd were offered the head coaching job at UT he'd be gone in a heartbeat. But Dodge is his own man. He has his successful style and he is a HEAD coach. Unless a head coach is fired and unwilling or unable to get a head coaching job at a lower level, they are seldom content to take assistant's jobs.

If he's successful here (and I strongly believe that he will be) then we will keep raising his and his staff's salaries as much as we can afford. It will be a good investment because I think that he will continue to grow attendance, donors, facilities, power ratings and keep the level of enthusiasm high. He is the (college) media darling of a very large market and I believe that he is enjoying the limelight.

Right now, he's a man on a mission and until he's satisfied that he's accomplished his goals, he will be here five years or more (unless Texas picks him to replace Mack Brown).

I think many fans see Major Applewhite as the heir apparant at UT. He is much more likely to take a coordinators job for Mack Brown. If Dodge wants to succeed Brown then he will need to prove himself as a head coach somewhere else and then seek the top job when it becomes available. That somewhere else is the University of North Texas, and I predict that his tenure will be much longer than the 3-4 years that many people on this board predict.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Originally posted by Scott_F:

UNT can compete with the likes of A&M and Texas when it comes to facilities. New coach that has a name that is synonymous with championships in a state which worships championships. He'll steal recruits from all the CUSA schools.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good points!! If for whatever reason C-USA needs to bring in

another school, could NT be only a redo of Fout away from being

strongly considered?? I always figured LaTech would be the one,

but NT has a much better location for visiting teams, overall,

very good facilities (Super Pit dates back to the early '70's,

but is a clone of the Maybee Center without the frills), and is

competitive in both major sports....

In any case, I have always enjoyed TU's long standing rivalry

with them and hope it continues....That would give us another

natural competitor within the conference that is easily reachable

by fans of both schools....

Would SMU vote for or against UNT's entry into CUSA if it ever

came up???

roger

History says they would say no. Even with that say start winning and build the new stadium and the offers will come.

SMU is ONE vote & I doubt that they are all powerful in the CUSA. Can't argue that two in the same area won't work because of Rice/Houston in Houston and what would have been SMU/TCU in the Metroplex.

SMU did't draw really better than UNT in basketball or football in '06. We raise out basketball and football attendance, basketball keeps winning and making trips to the Dance, and TD does his thing with football, it will sure be hard for SMU to keep UNT out.