Odufawa Coming Back Home

Cooley

May 25, 2007

TexasHoops.com Recruiting Staff

It's always hard to play for a coach that you didn't sign with. But given head coach Herb Sendek's reputation, George Odufuwa thought he'd give it a try at Arizona State. Unfortunately things didn't work out the way either end wanted it to, so the 6-foot-8, 240-pound power forward made the decision to transfer. The former Dallas Kimball High School standout didn't have to look too far from home to find a new place to play.

"I'm coming back home to play at UNT (North Texas)," Odufuwa said. "I just felt that UNT is a place where I could have a huge impact. I like the program, the coaches, and there are good people there. And I like to surround myself with good people."

Odufuwa is looking for a fresh start at North Texas. So after deciding to leave Arizona State after the season ended, he asked for and received his release, and contact began with the Mean Green. He'll have to sit out the requisite year due to NCAA rules, but sees it as a chance to improve his skills.

"I'll be playing the four, but I'll be able to create," Odufuwa said. "So I'll need to work on my ball-handling. I also want to improve my shooting - something that I'm already working on but I want to get it better."

At North Texas, Odufuwa will get a fresh start after a freshman season that produced minimal statistics - 0.7 points and 0.8 rebounds in a scant 4.8 minutes a contest. Although his time in Tempe was short, Odufuwa has no hard feelings.

"It was positive," Odufuwa said. "Coach (Herb) Sendek is a good coach and he preaches discipline, and I'll keep that with me. He helped make me a better player too."

Texas Hoops Analysis (Fall '05): GEORGE is a player with a huge upside who could really explode when he puts the mental toughness together with his physical abilities. He has an excellent basketball body, has a nice touch from 17 feet, can score on the low block, runs the floor very well and has good hands. He is a very good rebounder, makes good outlets passes and can block shots.