Vito's Rundown

CMJ

More on Jackson, roster/scholarship breakdown

The complexion of the North Texas men's basketball team continued to change on Monday, when UNT officials confirmed that Jonathan Jackson has left the program after just one season.

Jackson was part of the two-man class of signees from Mineral Area (Mo.) Community College last season that also included Curtis Muse. Muse failed to meet NCAA standards to transfer to UNT and Jackson spent one injury-plagued year with the Mean Green.

Jackson played in just nine games and never was on the floor for more than seven minutes in a single contest. The 6-8 forward's prospects for playing time didn't appear as if they would get much better next season with front line starters Keith Wooden and Quincy Williams back and Harold Stewart and Justin Howerton coming off the bench.

The move should turn out to be a good one for both UNT and Jackson, as long as he can find another school at which to finish his career.

On the UNT front, Jackson's departure opens up a scholarship that the Mean Green could use to sign a Division I transfer who would sit out next season and then soften the blow UNT will take when Wooden and Williams graduate after next season.

All indications point to that player being George Odufuwa, a former Dallas Kimball standout who spent last season at Arizona State. Odufuwa has visited UNT's campus and multiple sources have indicated that he has all but made up his mind to play for the Mean Green.

The departure of Jackson marks another step in what has been a dramatic overhaul of UNT's roster during the offseason.

UNT has lost three key seniors from its NCAA Tournament team in Calvin Watson, Kendrick Davis and Rich Young and three other players who decided to transfer in Jackson, fellow backup Harold Edwards and sixth man Michael Sturns.

In their place UNT has added the 10th-ranked player from Louisiana in point guard Josh White, prep school standout Tristan Thompson and JUCO transfers Ryan McCoy and Adam McCoy.

Texashoops.com rated Thompson No. 18 on its list of the top players in Texas in the class of 2006, while Ryan McCoy was No. 40 in the class of 2005. Adam McCoy was among the best 3-point shooters in junior college basketball last season.

South Florida transfer Collin Dennis will also be eligible next season after sitting out the 2006-07 campaign.

Sturns was productive at times, but UNT has incoming players who should fill his roles as the Mean Green's backup point guard and sixth man. A combination of Ryan McCoy at the backup point guard spot and Adam McCoy off the bench could be a more productive and steady option than Sturns.

All the changes in the Mean Green's roster bring up the question of just where UNT stands in terms of scholarships. Jones has two left to give.

Here's a rundown of the players who will count against UNT's limit of 13 scholarship players next season:

Returning starters

Ben Bell -- Point guard will be back in the same role after big finish to season

Keith Wooden -- Center got better and better as he became healthier last season

Quincy Williams -- Power forward has potential to post a double-double any night

Bench players

Harold Stewart -- Backup power forward showed potential at end of season

Justin Howerton -- Backup center will be back in the same role

Collin Mangrum -- Backup shooting guard who could turn out to be a solid contributor

Transfers who will be eligible

Collin Dennis -- South Florida transfer seems destined to replace Davis at shooting guard

Recruits

Josh White -- Could play in the backcourt, but seems like a candidate to redshirt while overcoming injuries and adjusting to Division I level

Tristan Thompson -- Prep school standout could start at small forward

Ryan McCoy -- Appears to be a perfect backup for Bell at the point

Adam McCoy -- Could challenge to start at small forward or shooting guard, but appears to be a good fit as a sixth man because of his ability to shoot from 3-point range and play multiple positions

Scholarships available

UNT has two, including one that appears destined to go to Arizona State transfer George Odufuwa. It would be tough to find an impact high school player at this point. Another frontcourt transfer seems like a good fit.

You know, as much as I enjoyed watching the tournament game, I think it's pathetic that we only graduated 25% of our guys. You'd think mid-majors would perform at a bit higher standard academically than their obviously corrupt big brothers in the major conferences. I'm wondering how that ranks nationally. As much of a pro-athletics guy as I am, I want us to be a model academically as well. We shouldn't be shooting for 50% athletic graduation rates, and 2.1 football GPAs, and 2.5 all mens campus average GPAs. Think about the MWC, or CUSA. Even SMU graduates 70% of their guys, and their all-campus average GPA is a 3.0. That will be something that will bring us national respect.

I guess NT can forget about improving the already awful graduation rates in men basketball.

You know, as much as I enjoyed watching the tournament game, I think it's pathetic that we only graduated 25% of our guys. You'd think mid-majors would perform at a bit higher standard academically than their obviously corrupt big brothers in the major conferences. I'm wondering how that ranks nationally. As much of a pro-athletics guy as I am, I want us to be a model academically as well. We shouldn't be shooting for 50% athletic graduation rates, and 2.1 football GPAs, and 2.5 all mens campus average GPAs. Think about the MWC, or CUSA. Even SMU graduates 70% of their guys, and their all-campus average GPA is a 3.0. That will be something that will bring us national respect.

I think all the transfers and persons leaving the team this off-season count against us... which isn't really fair. As far as I can recall, all seniors (KD, Watson, and Young) will/have graduated.

The score of 946 on the NCAA Academic Progress Report indicates men's basketball is doing very well at retaining and graduating it's players.

In the Sun Belt, only Denver scored higher than North Texas. In the state of Texas, only Rice and SMU had better scores.

Click here for some facts.

I always find it funny that people go up in arms over graduation rate of student athletes. Do you have any idea of the dropout rate of college students in general is? I remember reading something along the lines of only 40% of students entering college have degrees 6 years later.

I always find it funny that people go up in arms over graduation rate of student athletes. Do you have any idea of the dropout rate of college students in general is? I remember reading something along the lines of only 40% of students entering college have degrees 6 years later.

I prefer to think of them as being on the 10-year plan, as many of my friends are :lol:

• 2 weeks later...