Sun Belt The Best For Middle Tennessee - Right Now

The Muts don't seem to be all that dominant. This is just a 4 sport comparison vs UNT. Don't know how they compare vs other Belt members. Of the 4, they've got us in women's basketball.

Football

UNT - 4 bowl appearances

Muts - 1 bowl appearance

Mens Basketball

UNT - 1 NCAA appearance

Muts - 0 NCAA appearances

Women's Basketball

UNT - 1 WNIT appearance

Muts - 1 Post-Season WNIT (2001), 1 Pre-Season WNIT (2004), 4 NCAA appearances

Soccer

UNT - 2 NCAA appearances

Muts -0 NCAA appearances

Fixed that for you.

Edited by RaiderInTheZone

You know I read posts like this and visit other non-BCS schools athletic websites and wonder why is it that UNT struggles so much in areas where other schools seem to be excelling, even schools in the SBC. MTSU has a new soccer and track stadium and is in the process of building a $6M baseball diamond and most of it is paid for, and by their city. It seems as though our competition is making 100 steps forward to our 1 step foward.

We as a school have no backing by the city of Denton and MTSU has their city handing them money. MTSU is building new facilities which attract recruits and they have no problem bumping up the student fees to get this accomplished, while UNT has this idea shot down time and time again. MTSU is having a new diamond built while UNT can only dream of getting a Baseball team this decade.

This all started with our new AD when he was hired a couple of years ago. Every year MT host Spring Fling which is the state high school championships for track, soccer, baseball, and a few more spring sports (we also have the state basketball and football championships on campus as well). Our AD went to the city and said that they city benefits from the "tourist" dollars coming in during that week (which ironically Spring Fling" is taking place this week) and that MT went thru a lot of trouble but received no benefit. He basically told them if they want to keep having these events on MT's campus then they need to shell out some $$. Of course, he did it in a nice way, but you get the point. Up to that point the city was receiving all the money and shelling out very little money or time. It was MT shelling out the time and the use of the facilities.

I was shocked when the city decided to give 5 mil towards upgrades and some of the city's citizens were outraged, but the city thought it was worth 5 mil to keep Spring Fling in town. Every hotel is booked this week, every restaurant is slammed. I'm not sure how much money Spring Fling brings into our economy, but it's a sizeable amount.

Anyway, that's the story on how we got the city involve with facility improvements.

Thanks. Didn't recall that you'd made 4 women's NCAA appearance since being in the Belt. My bad.

And counting. We've won the Sun Belt Tournament title the last four years in a row. Louisiana Tech is the only other school in league history to accomplish that feat. And while in the NCAA's we captured 1st round victories over #11 North Carolina (2004), #21 NC State (2005), and Gonzaga (2007). We lost to Utah in the 1st Round in 2006.

I was very pleased to see MTSU ranked in women's basketball this season...I was even happier to see Troy beat Rice in New Orleans...I was overwhelmed with joy to see UNT beat ASU in the SBC basketball tourney and give Memphis a hell of a basketball game. I hope Ul-La will continue its success during the regular season and win the SBC and advance in the NCAA tourney. Congrats to the Denver women in winning soccer earlier this year...and to the WKU women for winning track...and also to South Alabama and Florida International for their successes in Tennis. HMMMMMM...it seems to me there really is no "Class of the Sun Belt." And thats best for all parties involved right now. C-USA isn't looking to add...atleast not yet...the MAC and the WAC would be a moderate step up, if any. The best thing for UNT, MTSU and the rest of the Sun Belt is for each of its members to continue to improve on a national level.

I was very pleased to see MTSU ranked in women's basketball this season...I was even happier to see Troy beat Rice in New Orleans...I was overwhelmed with joy to see UNT beat ASU in the SBC basketball tourney and give Memphis a hell of a basketball game. I hope Ul-La will continue its success during the regular season and win the SBC and advance in the NCAA tourney. Congrats to the Denver women in winning soccer earlier this year...and to the WKU women for winning track...and also to South Alabama and Florida International for their successes in Tennis. HMMMMMM...it seems to me there really is no "Class of the Sun Belt." And thats best for all parties involved right now. C-USA isn't looking to add...atleast not yet...the MAC and the WAC would be a moderate step up, if any. The best thing for UNT, MTSU and the rest of the Sun Belt is for each of its members to continue to improve on a national level.

Success in football & then men's basketball are what really gains a conference recognition.

Edited by MeanGreen61