Walk-on Prospect

Cooley

Saw this kid in a tournament early in the year at Ellis Davis Fieldhouse. Has some offers but would be a nice walk-on possibility at a need position.

http://texashoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=674187

May 16, 2007

Nweke Still on the Board

TexasHoops.com Recruiting Staff

The spring signing period is going to end without a signature from Kem Nweke. But don't assume that the huge 6-foot-10, 295-pound post will be on the board for very long. Big men are always at a premium and the Fort Bend Marshall High School standout is currently considering four schools - and could be making a commitment in the very near future if all works out.

"Right now I'm looking at South Alabama, New Orleans, Providence, and St. Bonaventure," Nweke said. "I had a visit out to South Florida and that went alright, but they didn't offer and they're going to sign some JUCO players instead."

Nweke had also previously made visits to East Tennessee State and Iowa State, but neither situation appears to be a fit for him at this time. Of the four schools he's currently considering, there's one that stands out in front of the pack.

"I'm leaning towards Providence," Nweke said. "I like the academic qualities of the school - they've got a good business school. I haven't visited there yet, but the coaches have been calling me."

Nweke indicated that he could very well commit and sign with a school that he hasn't visited yet - and he'll have flexibility since scholarship agreements are only binding for the school and not the player. But all around, Nweke does want to find the right fit for himself and his college career.

"I want to do what's best for me," Nweke said. "I'd like to go somewhere where I can play right away and get better."

Texas Hoops Analysis: KEM is a beast in the lane who can put his backside on his man and get wherever he wants to in the paint. He has a very wide backside, really knows how to use his body to seal the defense and call for the ball and works his way close to the bucket for easy buckets. He has good hands and feet for a player his size, can finish well around the goal and will kick it back out to shooters from the low post. He will need to drop some weight and get in better basketball shape to reach his potential.

Since you can't tell from that (unless you're a Rivals subscriber)....he signed with South Alabama.

May 23, 2007

He may not have signed during the official spring signing period. But that fact alone will not prevent Kem Nweke from getting a Division I scholarship. The huge 6-foot-10, 295-pound post from Fort Bend Marshall High School was able to sign grant-in-aid papers to get his schooling paid for, and after checking out a campus over the weekend, will be studying and playing mid-major basketball in the Sun Belt Conference.

"I'm going to South Alabama," Nweke said. "They've been recruiting me for a long time and I'm really close with Coach (Ronnie) Arrow. I didn't know too much about the school, so it was really the coach - I've known him since he was at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. He's really good at developing big men, and there's the opportunity for me to start too."

Nweke made his decision after visiting South Alabama this past weekend. "There's a great campus life there, and there's a lot of people - I didn't know that there were that many in Mobile," Nweke said. "They've got some great players coming back and they finished first in their league last year."

Nweke noted how he'll have the opportunity to come in and be an impact player, but he knows there's work to be done this off-season if he is to earn that chance. "It's going to be losing weight mostly," Nweke said. "But I also want to work on my ball-handling and my mid-range game too."

Texas Hoops Analysis: KEM is a beast in the lane who can put his backside on his man and get wherever he wants to in the paint. He has a very wide backside, really knows how to use his body to seal the defense and call for the ball and works his way close to the bucket for easy buckets. He has good hands and feet for a player his size, can finish well around the goal and will kick it back out to shooters from the low post. He will need to drop some weight and get in better basketball shape to reach his potential.

Who did Webster sign with?

May 22, 2007

Entering his senior year at Bryan High School, Brandon Webster saw his future in front of him. Little did he know months later everything would get pulled out from underneath his feet. The developing 6-foot-10, 235-pound big man expected to head to prep school for a year - and he went to two of them - but it was supposed to be the Big 12 afterward and that was taken away. Webster is now trying to find a new home while bouncing back from setback after setback.

"It's been pretty crazy - it was probably the worst year of my life," Webster said. "I know I'd never do that year like that again."

Here's how the story goes - at the start of his senior year at Bryan HS in 2005-06, Webster inked with Texas A&M knowing full well that he'd likely have to head to prep school for a year before he officially became an Aggie. After graduating from Bryan, he first went to Maine Central Institute before leaving and ending up at God's Academy in Dallas, where he ended up leaving before the year was finished and headed back home to Bryan.

While the prep year really didn't do much for Webster basketball-wise, he was still fully academically qualified and was working toward entering the Big 12 at Texas A&M in the fall of 2007. But when head coach Billy Gillespie took the job at Kentucky, the new staff and Webster parted ways. The big man quickly found a new home in Wyoming and was all set to sign, but to add insult to injury the NCAA took away two scholarships from the Cowboys program, leaving Webster high and dry once again.

Despite all the hardships, Webster is trying to remain positive and the interest is still high. He's working with a group of schools at the moment and is set on taking an official visit this week. "I'm just looking at everybody and talking to everybody right now," Webster said. "The main schools are San Francisco, UAB, Fresno State, Charlotte, Hawaii and Boise State. I'm leaving to go visit Fresno State on Thursday and I'm looking at setting up visits this week to Boise State and UAB."

While Webster is ready to set up more visits, he noted that there is a chance that may go ahead and commit to Fresno State if everything checks out. He's keeping things simple in what he's searching for at this point. "I'm just looking for somewhere that can develop a big man into a great player," he said.

Texas Hoops Analysis (Fall '05): BRANDON is a rapidly improving big man who has made great strides over the last year. He has good mobility for a player his size and can really clog up the lane with his physical presence. He has a soft touch around the goal, is a good rebounder and can block shots. He is strictly a paint player and is learning how to really impact the game. He played in an up-tempo high school system and is best suited for the half court game.

May 22, 2007

Entering his senior year at Bryan High School, Brandon Webster saw his future in front of him. Little did he know months later everything would get pulled out from underneath his feet. The developing 6-foot-10, 235-pound big man expected to head to prep school for a year - and he went to two of them - but it was supposed to be the Big 12 afterward and that was taken away. Webster is now trying to find a new home while bouncing back from setback after setback.

"It's been pretty crazy - it was probably the worst year of my life," Webster said. "I know I'd never do that year like that again."

Here's how the story goes - at the start of his senior year at Bryan HS in 2005-06, Webster inked with Texas A&M knowing full well that he'd likely have to head to prep school for a year before he officially became an Aggie. After graduating from Bryan, he first went to Maine Central Institute before leaving and ending up at God's Academy in Dallas, where he ended up leaving before the year was finished and headed back home to Bryan.

While the prep year really didn't do much for Webster basketball-wise, he was still fully academically qualified and was working toward entering the Big 12 at Texas A&M in the fall of 2007. But when head coach Billy Gillespie took the job at Kentucky, the new staff and Webster parted ways. The big man quickly found a new home in Wyoming and was all set to sign, but to add insult to injury the NCAA took away two scholarships from the Cowboys program, leaving Webster high and dry once again.

Despite all the hardships, Webster is trying to remain positive and the interest is still high. He's working with a group of schools at the moment and is set on taking an official visit this week. "I'm just looking at everybody and talking to everybody right now," Webster said. "The main schools are San Francisco, UAB, Fresno State, Charlotte, Hawaii and Boise State. I'm leaving to go visit Fresno State on Thursday and I'm looking at setting up visits this week to Boise State and UAB."

While Webster is ready to set up more visits, he noted that there is a chance that may go ahead and commit to Fresno State if everything checks out. He's keeping things simple in what he's searching for at this point. "I'm just looking for somewhere that can develop a big man into a great player," he said.

Texas Hoops Analysis (Fall '05): BRANDON is a rapidly improving big man who has made great strides over the last year. He has good mobility for a player his size and can really clog up the lane with his physical presence. He has a soft touch around the goal, is a good rebounder and can block shots. He is strictly a paint player and is learning how to really impact the game. He played in an up-tempo high school system and is best suited for the half court game.

Go get him JJ!