How Can We Get Denton Involved?

Guest GrayEagleOne

WINNING.

Trust me. Look at any sports organization that has struggled but once they started winning, everyone was a fan. Kinda like the Mavs. No one was really crazy about the Mavs in the 90's but now there are tons of Mavs fans and they sell out all the time because they win. And ya, Cuban is great at marketing his team but it still comes down to winning.

Why did 25,000 show up for SMUt last year? It wasn't because we were winning; we had just lost 56-7 the previous week and were 2-9 the previous season. It was the opponent. And BTW, only 1,500 at most were SMUt fans. Why did only 9,000 show up for FIU? Because of the opponent. Yes, a winning season would have produced more attendance for FIU, but not 25,000.

You are both right. NT has to put a winning product on the filed. It also has to get quality opponents at home too.

Fortunately I think NT football is headed in that direction. Having SMU at home was real nice. Navy is a real good find. Now if we can do it again with SMU or TCU or even Baylor again. Get some reciprocation from Tulsa and other OOCs we played on the road. Changing coaches to take the program in the right direction is another big plus. Can't get a lot of people interested in a 6-5 team even with a conference championship on the line.

Winning is a no-brainer. How do you get them here before you have an established winning record? I have NO doubt that Dodgeball will be a winner but even before then I think that it will be entertaining. I want to get arm weary with "another Mean Green first down!:. I also want a stadium full of fans to enjoy that with me.

Frankly, I think that if you can get them that you will get them back bwcause they will enjoy it but first you have to get them here. School spirit is picking up. Fish Camp increases its attendance every year. We also have a decent core of alumni that are there most games but we need at least another five or ten thousand more.

Winning takes time but it will come. We want a stadium ready when the winning becomes obvious.

I agree with Emmitt that we need more lawn signs, but I have something more high traffic in mind. I was thinking about putting up lawn-type signs up along the roadways (exits from neighborhoods and turn-offs to major roads) that lead to (or head toward) Fouts. These would be much like those real estate signs that you see on the week-ends. The signs would have SOW on it and say something like "This way to Mean Green Football" or "This way to the best Football in Texas".

For instance, I would place some along Basswood (North Fort Worth) heading toward I-35 and then have one at the bridge where Basswood crosses I-35 and having it pointing North toward Denton.

Volunteers could go out and put them up on Friday and take them down on Sunday, just like they do with real estate signs.

Another thing would be to make schedule posters showing a shot (or shots) of the mean green village and the tailgating area. I would put these up at businesses all around Denton, and Denton county. By looking at the schedule posters, people could not only know who our opponents are, they can also see what an "event" the game has become.

I'd make the same type of posters to go up all over the campus.

---There is no one answer..

1. Winning the majority of the games.

2. Defeating some name opponents (teams that locals are very familiar with, even on the road).

3. Having teams visit DENTON that most people are familiar with and being competitive with these, win or lose... example: Navy this year, SMU last year...

4. Playing exciting games... which brings fans back to see more.

5. Better publicity in the area.. not sure yard-signs is the answer but might help some, but signs on campus would help with students if they appear on the day of games and day before and aren't just permanently there... attracts more attention when they appear and disappear and don't just become part of the scenery. This may sound high-schoolish but encouraging students to display NT colors on Friday [not frat etc. shirts with some other color] especially before home game days would be good reminders.. Organizations could push this as a big item in school spirit and traditions. I suppose it could be posted in (or in front of) dorms as well which would help some also. Today's' students are tomorrow's alums.... create involved and proud alums.

6. People were complaining about people not knowing th school song at graduation..... print it in the program, a local HS did that after a poor performance. It would not hurt to have it posted on campus some places for student to "read" for 4 years. ...Do anything to better connect students to North Texas so they that they feel "we" and not just "they".

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66