Andrew Smith Practice Fields?

Ibleedgreen

What ever happened to the Andrew Smith practice fields? Did they take the money and decide not to name the fields after Andrew (as DD requested and McIngvale agreed to)? Or did they decide not to take the money? Or are the practice fields still on the drawing board? Thanks for any info.

What ever happened to the Andrew Smith practice fields? Did they take the money and decide not to name the fields after Andrew (as DD requested and McIngvale agreed to)? Or did they decide not to take the money? Or are the practice fields still on the drawing board? Thanks for any info.

The practice fields are finished (next to the new Athletic Center) and have been in use for two springs now. There is a new sign unveiled a couple weeks ago that says " ------ Practice Fields" or "------Football Practice Fields". FFR posted a photo recently. When I was up there I noticed a name had been removed above the words "football practice fields"; probably Darrell Dickey after his request for it to be renamed for Andrew. I expect we'll see Andrew's name on the sign soon.

Aerial photo from kingdl1:

http://www.kingdl1.com/UNT/Flying/Large/Athletic_Center.jpg

Edited by NT80

What is that dirt field going to be? I overheard someone asking RV at the practice I went to if it was going to be a parking lot. I couldn't hear the answer but I gathered that RV said no. Anyone know?

several rec sports fields; the light poles are already up.

I just talked to the Ath. Dept., and there are no plans to change the field name as of yet. As it stands now, the board has not even begun addressing the issue, so no rename in the near future.

Just an FYI...

GMG!!!

I hope Mattress Mac isn't reading this. :lol:

--- This was discussed in January and a sizable group of "posters" opposed doing that because of the cirumstances of his death. Several other names were suggested even Benard? who was the running back that was shot to death a couple nights before a Univ. Texas game while doing nothing illegal or of questionable judgement. That thread was locked. Personally I prefered Abner Haynes to be honored because of what he and North Texas did when other Texas schools were not. His name will still remembered 50 years from now unlike some of the other suggested names..

---I think it is worth while to note what the NFL has been doing lately.

Curious. What do you consider to be a "sizable group of posters"?

---You look it up, I am not about to count them,... plus I had several "private Messages" from people who supported that point of view but did not want to publicly post because several people with the opposite point of view were friends, business associates, etc.. They felt it would be unwise for them to post. I am out of the Metroplex so I don't have that problem, friend wise or business wise.

---Again -- how could any object to naming them after Abner Haynes, a great player and a person who endured a lot because of the circumstances that existed at that time? He was one of TWO pioneers in the state of Texas or even the entire South. He is very deserving and has led a good life. We should be proud of him and what North Texas did.

---Option II: Joe Greene: an All-American, a first round NFL draft choice and our only NFL Hall of Famer. He is well known and has brought good attention to our university.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

---You look it up, I am not about to count them,... plus I had several "private Messages" from people who supported that point of view but did not want to publicly post because several people with the opposite point of view were friends, business associates, etc.. They felt it would be unwise for them to post. I am out of the Metroplex so I don't have that problem, friend wise or business wise.

---Again -- how could any object to naming them after Abner Haynes, a great player and a person who endured a lot because of the circumstances that existed at that time? He was one of TWO pioneers in the state of Texas or even the entire South. He is very deserving and has led a good life. We should be proud of him and what North Texas did.

---Option II: Joe Greene: an All-American, a first round NFL draft choice and our only NFL Hall of Famer. He is well known and has brought good attention to our university.

You made the statement, why should I look it up ? I do remember 'several' with you being by far the most vocal. Guess we can define group as more than one since you don't care to share estimated numbers.

Let me just say that I think it would set a terrible precedent and possibly do irreparable harm to our current or future donor-base if we fail to honor the wishes of our donors.

---I don't remember that the donor gave the donation on the condition that they be named after Smith.. if he did then we should have either not accepted the donation or else name them as he wished. That we agree on. it would be terrible precedent