Alexander Aims For Fall Return & Other Notes

MeanGreen61

Alexander aims for Fall return

12:17 AM CDT on Friday, April 6, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Offensive lineman Josh Alexander has decided to take a risk in an effort to make it back in time for North Texas’ upcoming season.

Alexander missed all of last season with a partially torn patella tendon in his knee after undergoing surgery just before the beginning of the season. The stitches in the tendon tore during Alexander's rehabilitation regiment.

"I have the option to try to get strength back in my leg and try to play and then have surgery after the season," Alexander said. "That is the plan at this point. If I had surgery today, I wouldn't be ready in time."

Alexander has resumed running, but will not be able to participate in drills in spring practice. UNT's coaches are hoping that he can be ready in time for two-a-day practices in the fall.

"All we can do is hope that Josh will be able to play," UNT head coach Todd Dodge said. "We will have to check him out in two-a-days and he will need a good summer to get into shape."

While UNT isn't sure if Alexander will be able to make it back in time for the season, the Mean Green's coaches are certain he could make an impact after seeing film of his performance two years ago.

"It would absolutely help us if he comes back," Dodge said. "I think we would be good for him and he dang sure would be good for us with the experience he has. What I have been impressed with is that he does not miss meetings, and when a play is called he knows what it is. Human nature when you are hurt is to stand aside. He is right in there, getting as many mental reps as he can."

UNT is short on tackles heading into its first season under Dodge. Joel Foster graduated after starting at left tackle last season, while starting right tackle Jeremy Brown elected not to return to the team.

Sophomore Robert Peachey was UNT's backup at both tackle spots last season.

Redshirt freshman Matthew Menard is working at left tackle in spring practice.

"My knee has gotten a lot better," Alexander said. "I don't have any pain, but it is pretty weak. I am having problems getting strength back in it."

Alexander will continue to workout throughout the summer before deciding if he will play this season.

"There is a chance I could rupture it completely," Alexander said. "But that is a chance I am willing to take to get back and help this team."

Coaches clinic draws crowd

UNT's first coaches clinic under Dodge attracted more than 100 high school coaches to campus Wednesday and Thursday.

The event is one Dodge hopes will help the Mean Green down the line in recruiting.

"It's absolutely going to help us to have these coaches here," Dodge said. "They know that our door is always open. They will be able to help us when it comes time to recruit. Coaches want their players to go places where their kids will be taken care of. After being here, they will trust us."

The high number of coaches who attended the clinic continued a trend that has seen dozens of area coaches show an interest in Dodge's first season with the Mean Green. Dodge said 85 coaches attended a practice just before spring break, even though there was no special event taking place that day.

Washington settling in

Korey Washington appears to have finally found a permanent spot in UNT's lineup.

The former Cedar Park quarterback switched from wide receiver to defensive back multiple times last season under former head coach Darrell Dickey, but appears as if he will become a slot receiver for good under Dodge.

Washington caught a 70-yard touchdown pass from Daniel Meager in the Mean Green's first scrimmage last week and has continued to be impressive in practice.

Dodge said he went through the Mean Green's media guide in the first few days after he arrived at UNT and immediately recognized Washington's name.

"I saw Korey play against Lufkin in the playoffs and he was electric with the ball," Dodge said. "Before we knew if he could catch, we moved him to receiver. He fits there. We are very excited about him."

Washington has not played wide receiver on a full-time basis since his sophomore year in high school, but said he is comfortable with his role. With UNT moving to four-receiver sets, Washington should get plenty of opportunities to show his 4.4-second speed in the 40-yard dash.

"It's looking pretty good," Washington said. "I am comfortable at either defensive back or wide receiver and am ready to do whatever it takes for the team to get better."

Briefly …

Defensive back Latif Nurudeen will be eligible to play immediately at UNT. Nurudeen walked on and played at Baylor last season before leaving the school to walk on at UNT. … Linebackers Justin Padron and A.J. Penson, offensive lineman J.J. Johnson, wide receiver B.J. Lewis and quarterback Giovanni Vizza will all play in the Texas High School Coaches Association All-Star Game this summer, Dodge said.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Defensive back Latif Nurudeen will be eligible to play immediately at UNT. Nurudeen walked on and played at Baylor last season before leaving the school to walk on at UNT. … Linebackers Justin Padron and A.J. Penson, offensive lineman J.J. Johnson, wide receiver B.J. Lewis and quarterback Giovanni Vizza will all play in the Texas High School Coaches Association All-Star Game this summer, Dodge said.

Guess I just added another trip to my summer schedule.

"Dodge said 85 coaches attended a practice just before spring break, even though there was no special event taking place that day."

Nothing special going on, yet they still came. When was the last time that happened at NT?

Edited by DeepGreen

Won't have to go too far this year.

Convention info

Holy Cow! (to quote Bill Mercer's late "good buddy", ie, baseball broadcaster Harry Carey), but is the THSCA now co-sponsored by the University of Texas or something? :( Did I see a little Aggie maroon mixed in the THSCA graphic, too? :) I know, sometimes we get a bit touchy on this forum when it comes to graphic art, :lol: but do check out GB's link to make your own opinion). :blink:

YET.................last time I checked, there were still 9 other D1-A schools from the Lone Star State, right?:huh:

...............but come on already, UT and TAMU already have most of our state's chicken salad, ie, the Permanent University Fund and have since the 1870's, so for the rest of all of us who get the chicken sh-t, just what other advantages must be given to those 2 schools? :rolleyes:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Holy Cow! (to quote Bill Mercer's late "good buddy", ie, baseball broadcaster Harry Carey), but is the THSCA now co-sponsored by the University of Texas or something? :( Did I see a little Aggie maroon mixed in the THSCA graphic, too? :) I know, sometimes we get a bit touchy on this forum when it comes to graphic art, :lol: but do check out GB's link to make your own opinion). :blink:

I saw it last night and did not get that impression at all, but I can see where you're coming from. Perhaps there's some favoritism towards UT because it's IN AUSTIN. Where has it been held in previous years? Was the website different before?

I saw it last night and did not get that impression at all, but I can see where you're coming from. Perhaps there's some favoritism towards UT because it's IN AUSTIN. Where has it been held in previous years? Was the website different before?

The convention is in Fort Worth this year, and the THSCA's physical address is in San Marcos.