For All Of You Who Have Joined The Bandwagon

Talon90

Let me preface this by saying I am glad that we have so much new interest in the team. This board was quiet all season compared to this last week. Which proves one point earlier I made about our ATTENDANCE PROBLEMS.......WIN and KEEP WINNING and everything else will take care of itself.

This is the first year we have made it out of the first round of the Sun Belt Tournament with Johnny Jones and many of us (including me) did not have a lot of confidence going into the Sun Belt Tournament. I am glad to say Coach Jones and the team proved me wrong. The season is already a success. The rest is just gravy.

This is the most athletic team we have ever had and the most fun to watch.

Having said that.............

For those of you that may not have followed the team that closely this year, here are a few things you need to know:

1. The strength of this team is the offense (29th in scoring) with their three pointers (77th - 37%) and fast break. They will push the ball a lot. This team lives and dies with transition quick scores and the three pointer.

2. The defense is better than adequate for the Sun Belt and for most of this years competition but we played a very weak schedule. We are a great rebounding team and this defense will be SEVERELY tested against Memphis.

3. This team is frustrating to watch in a half court offense and will look lost at times trying to set up a good shot. If Memphis keeps us in a half court game the outcome will not be pretty. We can also get out of control in the open court and make some really frustrating turnovers but that's what happens when you push it as much as they do.

4. If this team does not come out shooting hot and defending well, this game will be over early. We HAVE to hit our three point shots to have any chance against Memphis and we will have to out run them as well which is a tall order but not impossible since that is their game as well. I would love to see us work it inside out more than we have in the past but I can always dream.

5. Free Throws - 65.5% (273rd) - We are awful. It will drive you crazy to watch us at the charity stripe especially if the games come down to free throws.

Those are just a few points and I know many others will chime in as well.

I think the spread of 18 points is about right. I watched Memphis against Houston and even though I was not blown away by their team we will have to play a near perfect game to come away with a win.

For those new to Mean Green Hoops, Welcome! No matter what the outcome in the tournament, we hope you follow the team closer in the the coming years.

GMG! Beat Memphis!

I agree with your points. There is a huge gap between a 2 and 15 seed; that's why #15 seeds are 4-84 all time in the tournament.

That said, I think we need to go Loyola Marymount on them and turn this into a track meet. We need to jack up at least 35 3-pointers and pray that we can hit 40% of them. Let's try to play this in the 100's. I know it is their strength too, but we have to play to our strong suit, which is athleticism.

If nothing else, we can provide some serious entertainment value.

Baby steps, guys.

I'm in, I'm behind this team for life. I'm a first year MGC member and going into my third year as a football season ticket holder. I did just get into the basketball program this year, and I guess I picked a good time to become interested.

I'm also glad I have a reason to go to New Orleans for the weekend.

One more thing I forgot ......we also struggle against the press! :( If I was Memphis, I would press the entire game.

We press a lot...and we can go 10 deep to wear you out. Not to piss in your Cheerios, but we force a lot of mistakes with our press. Then we follow it up with a nasty half-court defense. We switch on just about every screen, because most of our players are about 6'-6", long, and quick (you could swap our PG and SF and never notice a difference).

If you can get the ball inside early, we CAN get in foul trouble...further opening up the lane. We also play out of control at times and can fall asleep in the 2nd half. Plus, we can't hit free throws (we're worse than UNT).

Keep an eye on the last 8 or so minutes of the 1st half...that's when we usually blow people out. If the game's close at half, it could get interesting. If UNT's the least bit worn out in those last 8 minutes (of the 1st half), it'll get UGLY quickly.

One more thing I forgot ......we also struggle against the press! :( If I was Memphis, I would press the entire game.

I disagree that we struggle against the press. We have improved in that area a lot during the last quarter of the season. I think that getting the ball down the court is one of our strong points. If it wasn't , Bell wouldn't be in there as much as he is. We have got to hit our three pointers to keep it close, and we have got to close it down with quality free throw shooting and our usual tough D down the stretch. I don't think that staying in this game is quite as tough as most make it out to be. We just have to play an overall great game through the first 30 minutes to be set up for the opportunity.