No Consensus Yet On Where We're Seeded

CMJ

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why we would be considered for the play-in game, and are not already predicted as a certain seed. I looked on ESPN and they do not have us listed on the Bracketology...so we must be the play-in game???

I do not understand this logic...someone please explain!

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why we would be considered for the play-in game, and are not already predicted as a certain seed. I looked on ESPN and they do not have us listed on the Bracketology...so we must be the play-in game???

on the side of espn's bracketolgy page, we are listed as playing the play-in game vs. mississippi valley state

i don't get it either

on the side of espn's bracketolgy page, we are listed as playing the play-in game vs. mississippi valley state

i don't get it either

I think it is b/c we have limited history of success and we have 5+ losses to teams ranked below 200 and an SOS of 276 will bite us in the butt.

I think we should be seeded ahead of the atlantic sun, big west, Maac, and even the horizon conferences, but its not up to me

No way we are ranked ahead of Wright St who just upset a Top 20 team in Butler. obviously we are the same team but the 25pt loss to Nebraska will also haunt us in seeding. Just being honest.

I think we should be seeded ahead of the atlantic sun, big west, Maac, and even the horizon conferences, but its not up to me

The HORIZON?? Over Butler and Wright State??

I'll give you the Atlantic Sun I guess, though E. Tennesse State is pretty scrappy. The MAAC is a bit of a tossup to me too. Long Beach State is quality out of the Big West, but none of the rest of the league is. Should they fall in Anaheim we're definitely over them.

The HORIZON?? Over Butler and Wright State??

I'll give you the Atlantic Sun I guess, though E. Tennesse State is pretty scrappy. The MAAC is a bit of a tossup to me too. Long Beach State is quality out of the Big West, but none of the rest of the league is. Should they fall in Anaheim we're definitely over them.

Wright state lost to Mid Tennessee state earlier this year, I think we could take them, sure they beat a ranked butler team, but they did it at home

Wright state lost to Mid Tennessee state earlier this year, I think we could take them, sure they beat a ranked butler team, but they did it at home

Beating Butler trumps any win we have by miles(whether it's at home or not). And I'm not denigrating our schedule at all. But Butler is a VERY good team. That was a substantial win.

Beating Butler trumps any win we have by miles(whether it's at home or not). And I'm not denigrating our schedule at all. But Butler is a VERY good team. That was a substantial win.

yes you are right about that, that would be the only reason wright state would be seeded ahead of us

Guest GrayEagleOne

My explanation would be that they're using our pre-tournament RPI. Even then, it would be iffy. Right now, from what I can find, the play-in should be between Mississippi Valley State and Central Connecticut State. Also, both Big Sky tournament finalists (Northern Arizona and Weber State) have a higher RPI than we.

However, it's hard to see us rising above a #16 seed. A 16 has never beaten a #1 so we could make tournament history.

Is the tourney seedings exlusively based on RPI?! there has to be other factors involved as well, yes?

They look at strength of conferences, quality wins, the last 10 games, RPI, etc...

We just don't know how much stock they put in each and every one so the RPI tends to get so much attention.

Since your RPI can change, not only based on what your team does, but also by what their opponents do......I guess it would be helpful for us:

1) If Nebraska wins a game or two in the Big 12 tourney;

2) if Tulsa and Rice win some more games in the CUSA tourney (they each won last night);

3) if UTA or SFA win some games in the SLC tourney.

Am I wrong about this???

Edited by SUMG

Since your RPI can change, not only based on what your team does, but also by what their opponents do......I guess it would be helpful for us:

1) If Nebraska wins a game or two in the Big 12 tourney;

2) if Tulsa and Rice win some more games in the CUSA tourney (they each won last night);

3) if UTA or SFA win some games in the SLC tourney.

Am I wrong about this???

Not at all. IIRC the RPI is 50% who you beat, 25% who the schools you played beat, and 25% who those schools beat.

It's pretty convuluted, but basically if teams you played win, it helps you.

Edited by CMJ

Thank you Rice for winning again today! I wonder how much this will help.

It would be nice to see Rice make it to the C-USA final. They have shown they can beat UH, and the road would likely go through them in the Semis. That would almost certainly help us out. Be nice to see Tulsa make a little run as well. Can't hurt!