La Monroe Anticipation Thread

CMJ

because of the greek system?

Again, there were 30k other students that didnt make it to that game, so I encourage everyone to look elsewhere in your search for a scapegoat.

--They rest deserve some blame as well BUT.... this group CLAIMS to be the leaders..... they aren't.... It is all about them and not their university.

--The poster even said their activities were more important..... thus my increased rant.......................

Their comment: --- but, it's even more inportant that they support the activities that help the Greek system on campus prosper.--- QED

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

--They rest deserve some blame as well BUT.... this group CLAIMS to be the leaders..... they aren't.... It is all about them and not their university.

--The poster even said their activities were more important..... thus my increased rant.......................

Their comment: --- but, it's even more inportant that they support the activities that help the Greek system on campus prosper.--- QED

one guy isn't the spokesperson for the entire greek system, I'm sure you realize that.

For every fat drunken idiot (and that goes for sorority girls too :D ), there's a couple of 3.0+ GPA students that work to pay for their education as well as their own dues. NT isnt like Texas or Tech where it seems like every single kid is living on their parents dime. Its a different breed of greek.

There are plenty of people that attend sporting events and serve in leadership rolls on campus that you never hear about- its just easier to harp on the negative, which is pretty much the MO of this board most of the time (and I too am guilty of that). There was a year I attended 4 different meetings a week while working and going to school. Good for me. There are a lot of folks in that position. We always tried to get a large part of the chapter out to the basketball and football games. I would contend most greeks ARE big sports fans.

You just throw it all on them because you know they are associated with a group and its easy to make blanketed statements.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a fraternity during your years in college, I really am. Its obviously jaded your view of anyone who is affiliated with those organizations. Regarding leadership, the numbers speak for themselves. 85% of the student leaders on campuses across the country are greek.

If there was a way for them to steer everyone into the Pit the other night, I think they should have done it. I already said that twice. If they could have done it and didn't, well then I think its a big mistake on their part. There are many ways the greeks can continue to help out with attendance, but to continue to crucify them as self-serving a-holes because the rest of the pathetically apathetic school body didn't make it out isn't fair.

In my opinion, the entire school body dropped the ball Wednesday night.

(Congrats, you baited me into a debate :lol: )

Edited by Eagle1855

Being the student who flared up this debate.... let me clarify a few points.

#1- This was an actual Greek Week function. A speaker came and spoke on how to improve Greek life. We were texting the whole time on when we were going to leave for the basketball game, but decided not to so our chapter didnt look bad. Myself and a few of my brothers were at the game from 10 minutes left in the second half to the end.... and we enjoyed ourselves.

#2- Believe me I want the Greeks to care. I've talked to GOldfield about how we can get them out, through monetary promotions, or otherwise. Some just dont care.

#3- dont bash all the Greeks. Some really do care. the SGA Vice Preisdent of Student Affairs, a SigEP, was the one who restarted the Pit Crew. Myself and a few other Theta Chis (6-7 brothers) always went to the games, painted up in our Green wigs and everything. But Greeks have other lives too. Maybe we just need to see consistency, and winning, and playing attractive teams at home before people come out. Believe me, I enjoy the games and so do my brothers. So the Greek system does care, its just a small percentage.

one guy isn't the spokesperson for the entire greek system, I'm sure you realize that.

(Congrats, you baited me into a debate :lol: )

I agree he is not the spokeman for the entire Greek system but this explains it all (if true) and was stated on this thread.

there had to be at least 1000-2000 people at the greek week thing

They all supported what he said... because that is a very large group to not show up and says it all...and indicates the priorities of the group in general and their priority is not supporting their/our university.......

Debate??? Your turn.

_________________________________________-

Quote from above: Maybe we just need to see consistency, and winning, and playing attractive teams at home before people come out.

winning... not a lot of universities won 20 games this year ... it has been almost 20 years since we have.

Attractive teams...!!!..... Granted this wasn't Memphis, Cincinatti, or Louisville (that once came to Denton every year) BUT it was a tournament playoff game and not just another "meaningless" game. You want better opponents..... then we need better crowds and more interest.... NMSU got over 7000 people in the stands for LaTech.... LaTech isn't Memphis or Louisville either and the NMSU is much smaller and it is not located in a large town to provide a crowd. .... Even they made us look very bad. ........ You just can't win this one.... The Greeks screwed up and the campus did not promote this enough to get other people in the stands.

---Don't gripe about the SunBelt if this is the best that we can do.... we deserve to be there..... Read this again about a college of 1500.

Howard Payne Lady Jackets prevailed 49-40 over No. 10 McMurry to claim the American Southwest Conference women's basketball championship on Sunday afternoon in front of 3,850 fans at Brownwood Coliseum

They all supported what he said... because that is a very large group to not show up and says it all...and indicates the priorities of the group in general and their priority is not supporting their/our university.......

Debate??? Your turn.

I already said (now 3 times) that IF there was a way to postpone the event (or push it back a couple hours), they dropped the ball. Fact of the matter is, these events are planned several months in advance. They planned it for the week AFTER the regular basketball season ended, and the week before finals, etc before spring break so I would say they did their best to do it on a "dead" week of the year. No one could have known we would have a first round game at home. These are very large events, so I could understand if they couldn't rearrange it. People take off work to attend. I also don't know which event was held that night. Some of the events invite the Denton community to attend. I wish they could have made it out, but neither you nor I know the cricumstances around it so all this speculation is a waste of time.

I'll be happy to email a few contacts I have and see what happened. In the meantime, spare us the "greeks dont support UNT" melodrama.

I should be in class but I decided to post one more reply.

Eagle1855 thank you for your response. I bet none of yall knew that this year because of Greek Week the Greeks are donating $10,000 to the university.... and are about to endow a scholarship. Complaining theres no nightlife in denton? Talk to the Greeks, they will help you out. I think the people that you guys should be bashing is the ones that sit in there dorms watching reruns of passions and Lost, and who dont do anything, including that Idiot on the youtube video. Blame Alan Ross and Sasha Moreno for not doing their part in firing up the students and helping to promote this game. Come on guys.

I already said (now 3 times) that IF there was a way to postpone the event (or push it back a couple hours), they dropped the ball. Fact of the matter is, these events are planned several months in advance. They planned it for the week AFTER the regular basketball season ended, and the week before finals, etc before spring break so I would say they did their best to do it on a "dead" week of the year. No one could have known we would have a first round game at home. These are very large events, so I could understand if they couldn't rearrange it. People take off work to attend. I also don't know which event was held that night. Some of the events invite the Denton community to attend. I wish they could have made it out, but neither you nor I know the cricumstances around it so all this speculation is a waste of time.

I'll be happy to email a few contacts I have and see what happened. In the meantime, spare us the "greeks dont support UNT" melodrama.

I

I'll be happy to email a few contacts I have and see what happened.

What happened ?? .... We had a terrible crowd and even "Our leadership" the Greeks did not show...did all 1000-2000 need to attend that meeting???

What happened ?? .... We won ! .... without them there and the most of the campus sadly missed it as well... because they didn't care.

because they didn't care.

why didn't they care?? let me guess, it was the greeks and the Talon's faults.. give me a break.. we need to market our sports teams better, I'm not sure if half the school even knows that we have a basketball team.. The 1x1 foot signs they put 6 feet from the road is not going to draw 5,000 students, we need better pre game festivities, more oppurtunites for fan participation (instead of the first 5 rows being reserved for the talon's only), advertisements around the metroplex (if we expect to be the univeristy of the metroplex, then we should start advertising to it, radio and T.V.), better organized cheers (chanting stand-up was cute the first time, but less and less people started standing up after hearing it every game), and we gotta keep winning games (nobody wants to come see losers).. and remember even if all these things went into action immediatly, the superpit still wouldn't sell out, it takes time to create a "buzz" around campus and to get our name out

why didn't they care?? let me guess, it was the greeks and the Talon's faults.. give me a break.. we need to market our sports teams better, I'm not sure if half the school even knows that we have a basketball team.. The 1x1 foot signs they put 6 feet from the road is not going to draw 5,000 students, we need better pre game festivities, more oppurtunites for fan participation (instead of the first 5 rows being reserved for the talon's only), advertisements around the metroplex (if we expect to be the univeristy of the metroplex, then we should start advertising to it, radio and T.V.), better organized cheers (chanting stand-up was cute the first time, but less and less people started standing up after hearing it every game), and we gotta keep winning games (nobody wants to come see losers).. and remember even if all these things went into action immediatly, the superpit still wouldn't sell out, it takes time to create a "buzz" around campus and to get our name out

Sigh - if you did all that you might get a few hundred more fans and lose money in the process.

Schedule as many interesting opponents as possible and keep consistently winning.

This is the most apathetic school in Texas and no amount of signs will change that... EVERYONE needs to build a culture that puts value on sporting events. The whole university is struggling to make the student body connect to traditions, sports, and programs - this is not unique to athletics.

Most know that we have a basketball team, they just don't care. Until we have more success, a coach, a marquee player, or a big time run of visiting opponents, no one will magically start caring from a poster or TV ad either.

It's a tired bit to bring them up, but I don't think posters turned A&M's sorry, sorry basketball situation around...

Nothing wrong with marketing to the metroplex though, but I wonder if TCU doesn't do it either (except when they are good) because it's an investment that never pays off.

--- Maybe someone among our "leaders*" could actually put signs up outside entrances of the Student Union announcing "GAME-DAY". I hope UNT students can still read now-days. May we do need to market the metroplex but FIRST lets get some students into those seats acting like they really care..... come on---if Howard Payne get 3800 people to show up in Brownwood at girls basketball then surely we can only get more than 2700 fans to show...... quit making hair-brained excuses. One of my sons graduated from A&M and it is a whole different world down there, they care... ------and I sometime got to Lubbock (from Midland and my wife's an alum) and it is there too... Quit just sighing and saying "we can't do that" .... Damn !!!!

* they claim

Meanwhile we have folks here bashing both Tech and A&M ...... at least they support their school more that our students do..... Geeeez...... With that kind of support we will be SunBelt forever and that may even be a stretch as the league improves. It always amazes me that people in life that complain the most about how bad the world is to them rarely get up and try to do better. .....Get students into seats and supporting us and try ---or consider yourself a second rate school....which unfortunately many do now... We make fun of SMU and their attendence and a lot others do of us for the exact same reason.

2,700....of 33,000....... geeeez....what support and pride....!!

EVERYONE needs to build a culture that puts value on sporting events. The whole university is struggling to make the student body connect to traditions, sports, and programs - this is not unique to athletics.

thats kind of what I was hinting towards, just couldn't put it into those words

Edited by Keith7

--- Maybe someone among our "leaders*" could actually put signs up outside entrances of the Student Union announcing "GAME-DAY". I hope UNT students can still read now-days. May we do need to market the metroplex but FIRST lets get some students into those seats acting like they really care..... come on---if Howard Payne get 3800 people to show up in Brownwood at girls basketball then surely we can only get more than 2700 fans to show...... quit making hair-brained excuses. One of my sons graduated from A&M and it is a whole different world down there, they care... ------and I sometime got to Lubbock (from Midland and my wife's an alum) and it is there too... Quit just sighing and saying "we can't do that" .... Damn !!!!

* they claim

Meanwhile we have folks here bashing both Tech and A&M ...... at least they support their school more that our students do..... Geeeez.

Have you ever walked past a gameday banner with a group of students and just listened. They either walk by, or worse, look and laugh and say yeah right. Maybe if they all had that west texas attitude....

All anyone ever posts is more signs and more advertisments and then act like they just created genius.

I guess "more posters" is the new rallying cry to replace "more threes." (sorry Keith... I know what you actually meant by that, but it's just so darn catchy)

Hopw would you make the students care? An extra special rainbow colored sign? A clever sign? A yellow sign? A green sign with polka dots?

Maybe RV already has his map pencils out waiting for the next stroke of genius...

---Athletics is not everything ----but---- it is the best advertising medium we have and it get us recognition..... and sometimes disrespect.

I am very pro-academics... I teach math at the college level.

---A sandwich type sign will get noticed especially if you have to somewhat walk around it... not just something on the wall or door. Especially it it appears just on gamedays and disppears afterwards. An announcement sign that is always there gets ignored.

--- Happy TEXAS Independence Day. ( also Sam Houston's Birthday) ....

Its funny, theres so many excuses for this poor attendance. The Greeks didnt show up, the Talons dont do their part (theres one talon Michael Maher, probably the best NT sports fan ever. Look for him hes in a 1955 NT jersey with short shorts and a wig), we're an arts school, it was on a wednesday night, etc etc etc. Not gonna lie, that artsy thing is a big deal, cause everyone knows those were the kids who didnt even attend their high schools games, and are for the most part completely apathetic. We need promotions, I sent this whole list of ideas out to some SGA people and others, but nothing was ever done. What I want to do is dress up, walk around campus with some of my dressed up buddies and yell and go crazy in a megaphone, with the basketball team at my side.

Unrelated to this topic, does anyone know how bball teams schedule games? I want us to be playing TCU SMU UTA heck even UTD (they beat UTA lol).

Also, if you have kids/friends/ex girlfriends/ spouses/fraternity brothers etc that attend UNT remind them student body elections are March 12-16.... tell them if they want change for the people that will give them change in athletics and the whole campus in general

I agree. Let's blame everything on the greeks. Its far easier than accepting reality (which was outlined in Quoner's response).

Maybe the greeks should also stop spending thousands of dollars and man hours on those dumba$$ floats for homecoming every year. Not like the school or parade needs them.

You want it both ways, but that isn't how it works. No credit for the positive, roast them for the negative. Meanwhile, 30k other NT students were nowhere to be found... interesting.

I can see that no amount of logic or reasoning is going matter to you, SE66. Your mind is made up. I wont waste anymore of yours or my time.

Have you ever walked past a gameday banner with a group of students and just listened. They either walk by, or worse, look and laugh and say yeah right. Maybe if they all had that west texas attitude....

All anyone ever posts is more signs and more advertisments and then act like they just created genius.

I guess "more posters" is the new rallying cry to replace "more threes." (sorry Keith... I know what you actually meant by that, but it's just so darn catchy)

Hopw would you make the students care? An extra special rainbow colored sign? A clever sign? A yellow sign? A green sign with polka dots?

Maybe RV already has his map pencils out waiting for the next stroke of genius...

Good point, Quoner. Apathetic students hurt this University, and advertising to them doesn't get us very far.

The question here is: How do we get apathetic students to care?

Personally, I can tell you I had a lot of friends in college who didn't really care much about sports, even if it was there school. But every football Saturday, and every basketball game night, I would personally gather as many of them as I could and drag them to Fouts or the Pit with me. I can't tell you I magically turned them into huge UNT fans, but I will say that they are at least somewhat interested now.

I'm sure others have even better stories, but I just figured I would share.

Good point, Quoner. Apathetic students hurt this University, and advertising to them doesn't get us very far.

The question here is: How do we get apathetic students to care?

Personally, I can tell you I had a lot of friends in college who didn't really care much about sports, even if it was there school. But every football Saturday, and every basketball game night, I would personally gather as many of them as I could and drag them to Fouts or the Pit with me. I can't tell you I magically turned them into huge UNT fans, but I will say that they are at least somewhat interested now.

I'm sure others have even better stories, but I just figured I would share.

Football has worked some on changing the culture with tailgating and events and it has helped. Basketball does not really lend itself well to tailgating - especially if you're hiking across the metroplex. I usually only see about 75% of the games I attend even if I leave right after work. I think continuing to work on students of all types and make this part of their campus experience that they hopefully remember forever is the way to og.

The art kids are the art kids, you might get them to go if everyone else really starts maknig it an event, but its a tough battle. I wil lstand by my statement that most of the student body just does not connect to any part of this school for one reason or another. I've attended 3 colleges and have never seen anything like it.

I've actually enjoyed the in-game promotions we had and thought that half court shot was a pretty cool moment.

I think a lot of the solution is improving the core product and then marketing the improvement....but that is just me.

Its funny, theres so many excuses for this poor attendance. The Greeks didnt show up, the Talons dont do their part (theres one talon Michael Maher, probably the best NT sports fan ever. Look for him hes in a 1955 NT jersey with short shorts and a wig), we're an arts school, it was on a wednesday night, etc etc etc. Not gonna lie, that artsy thing is a big deal, cause everyone knows those were the kids who didnt even attend their high schools games, and are for the most part completely apathetic. We need promotions, I sent this whole list of ideas out to some SGA people and others, but nothing was ever done. What I want to do is dress up, walk around campus with some of my dressed up buddies and yell and go crazy in a megaphone, with the basketball team at my side.

Unrelated to this topic, does anyone know how bball teams schedule games? I want us to be playing TCU SMU UTA heck even UTD (they beat UTA lol).

Also, if you have kids/friends/ex girlfriends/ spouses/fraternity brothers etc that attend UNT remind them student body elections are March 12-16.... tell them if they want change for the people that will give them change in athletics and the whole campus in general

Actually, a few years ago the Athletic Department got several groups of students to go out in a pickup truck on the Friday before a home football game, painted up, and advertise the game with a megaphone. The problem is that you can't do that too often or it will become old hat. Another thing that we always did, and it's a small thing, is always write a note on the board in class about the upcoming event. Most professors don't care if you put it up there, and even that simple advertising is better than nothing. It's free, and you can easily influence many students.

I never did anything with Greek life, but I was very active with RHA. When I was Clark Hall president, we had a giant banner across the entrance in the lobby of Clark Hall, floor signs, and signs in the stairwells (the only other place we could advertise) for every game. But that's not what brought people out to the games. What got the residents' attention was personally going up and inviting them to games. Going to dinner beforehand, purchasing face paint from our own budgets and painting people up, loaning out T-Shirts or securing them a free one, and getting the students out of their rooms. Granted, this doesn't really work for the commuter, but that personal communication with the residents is what made RHA, and Clark Hall in particular, such a force at athletic events for several years.

Not sure what the total answer is in all of this, but one thing that ADLER brought up to me at the game is that the students are not going to attend if it's not fun for them. And he's right. Gotta make it fun. Then the word will get out and people will want to come and see what everyone is talking about, and like Q says, you don't do this simply by advertising. It's going to require much more than that. There are other liberal arts schools with much smaller enrollments that are getting their kids to their games. We need to find out how they are doing it and get it done.

One side note on marketing or promoting: Another thing mentioned to me, which is a smaller part of the bigger problem, is that the Super Pit is simply a large, dark building on the outside at nightfall. If you were to drive by Wednesday evening, other than more cars in the parking lot, would you have even known there was an EVENT there? No. This may be where renting the sky lights for the week may have come into play. Have a RHA cookout event outside or in the foyer. A concert, host a student event at the SP like one of the greek events, I don't know but something could have been done better than what was done. Example: Once a year during the season back in the 80's drex always made sure one home game coincided with the Kiwanis "Taste of North Texas" and we had pretty good attendance during those games, at least much more than anything we have seen in recent times. One year we had over 5,000 against UTA. Imagine that? I have suggested this to the AD countless times. But every year the "Taste" falls on a regular evening.

So I know promoting the games to let students know about it could be better. It's not all there is that needs to be done, but it could be better. I know that there will be a large portion of students who commute/work whatever and won't ever attend. But we have had nearly 8,000 plus students at football games in the past, and during bad seasons too. If we could only get 1/4th of those to come to the basketball games we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Rick

Random idea... what if we played intramural bball/football right before games? would that work? or would people be too tired to stay?

Frankly, Emmits tailgating is a great idea, we just need more people out there. And we need to schedule a 2pm start here and there for ball games.

What if we pulled a UTA, getting Ludacris to perform, before a football/bball game, or after it

Not sure what the total answer is in all of this, but one thing that ADLER brought up to me at the game is that the students are not going to attend if it's not fun for them. And he's right. Gotta make it fun. Then the word will get out and people will want to come and see what everyone is talking about, and like Q says, you don't do this simply by advertising. It's going to require much more than that. There are other liberal arts schools with much smaller enrollments that are getting their kids to their games. We need to find out how they are doing it and get it done.

One side note on marketing or promoting: Another thing mentioned to me, which is a smaller part of the bigger problem, is that the Super Pit is simply a large, dark building on the outside at nightfall. If you were to drive by Wednesday evening, other than more cars in the parking lot, would you have even known there was an EVENT there? No. This may be where renting the sky lights for the week may have come into play. Have a RHA cookout event outside or in the foyer. A concert, host a student event at the SP like one of the greek events, I don't know but something could have been done better than what was done. Example: Once a year during the season back in the 80's drex always made sure one home game coincided with the Kiwanis "Taste of North Texas" and we had pretty good attendance during those games, at least much more than anything we have seen in recent times. One year we had over 5,000 against UTA. Imagine that? I have suggested this to the AD countless times. But every year the "Taste" falls on a regular evening.

So I know promoting the games to let students know about it could be better. It's not all there is that needs to be done, but it could be better. I know that there will be a large portion of students who commute/work whatever and won't ever attend. But we have had nearly 8,000 plus students at football games in the past, and during bad seasons too. If we could only get 1/4th of those to come to the basketball games we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Rick

Frankly, one of the best games I have seen at the Super Pit was when TCU came in a few years back. That was the most hectic effin week of my college career! The Pit Crew decided 5 days before the game basically that we were gonna do something big while the five originals were sitting around playing poker and started the next day. Concert, Free Food, Searchlight, etc etc etc. Hell we even went down to TCU's campus and put UNT posters all over the commons area and took their student organizations sign off the stadium walls. That was pretty interesting and the janitors at their place are morons....

There werent nearly as many students at the game as we had hoped but we definitely saw a difference. This was done with ZERO monetary help from the AD and alot of donations from the people here at GMG.com and Gak with his wad of cash he rolled with.

I know the new crew has a budget with the AD now... The wigs and everything are great... Shirts all that...but when you are giving the same people the same things every game does it get wasteful?

I challenge the new crew to pick the BIGGEST game on our schedule next season...i.e. If a TCU, SMU, Texas A&M (unlikely), any team like that steps foot in the pit to make it the biggest damn event this basketball program has seen.

I know for a fact the five or six guys that threw that stuff together that night actually felt more pride in their school that day than they had before because they had done something people had seen in awhile.

---I am not blaming the Greeks but to have that many needing to attend in a meeting seems crazy (but what do know?). Don't claim to be the leader and then not lead by example.

-- I don't know what mades NT different (too many big city kids?) but the Aggies, the Horns, Texas Tech, UTEP, and even NMSU can fill their basketball arenas and we can't even get decent crowds to meaningful games..... there has to be an answer to total complete apathy.

---This apathy hurts the image of the school whether you like it or not. I don't know how to fix it....but I used accustomed to people to have pride in themselves, and every group that they belong, including their university.....that isn't happening.....it is at those other places mentioned.....Why??...What makes most North Texans so different than them????

UNT-66 (in West Texas)

____

Last night ---we were once in a conference with these guys--- None of these are at large as we are.

Memphis vs UTEP (Texas) ... over 11,066 attendence.... In El Paso, not Memphis (reg.season game)

NMSU vs. LaTech 7,912... at NMSU (reg season game)

Nevada at Utah St. .... 10,270 ..... at Utah State and they upset Nevada

______

Care to guess why UTEP is in CUSA and not us ?????????

I was there HOLY MOKES it was loud. UTEP will be rockin' again next season. 12K attendance would be deafening! I can only imagine what a sold out Super Pit would feel like. Not just look like: FEEL like.

Edited by greenminer

I'm just glad we have green seats now.....it looks better when they are empty :(

I too wonder where all of the students who attended the football games are when basketball season rolls around. I know football is king but if we only had half of those students the Pit woul be rocking!

I think the only thing that will get more students to come is if we win the Sun Belt Tournament this year and make it to the dance and win at least one game. I know........keep dreaming but this was the same process we went through with football from 1995 - 2002. We went to a bowl game with national exposure and all of sudden students realized we had a football team...a good one.....the year we beat Cinn in the NO Bowl...all of a suddne fans came out of the woodwoork!

One thing that will make us happy with attendance for next year....we need to go on at least a 5 game WINNING streak!!!