So...what Is Happening Late In Games?

marc_moffitt

“I am not sure what is happening to us late in games,” Davis said. “We are just not making the plays and hitting the shots when we need to.” -from DRC article 2/11

I don't know what is happening late in the games either, but, it seems like the style of our play is changing dramatically in the last few minutes of the game when we are ahead.

It seems like we are becoming very conservative, almost like a "prevent" style defense, even on offfense.

I have noticed that our percentage chance of making last second shots, either on the shot clock or the game clock, is not very good.

It seems as if every player on the floor plays a completely different style than what is normal to them. Sturns slows down, Calvin passes on open 3's, Wooden passes out of the paint, Davis passes on open jumpers, and then someone misses the layup at he last few seconds of the shot clock.

"I am not sure what is happening to us late in games," Davis said. "We are just not making the plays and hitting the shots when we need to." -from DRC article 2/11

I don't know what is happening late in the games either, but, it seems like the style of our play is changing dramatically in the last few minutes of the game when we are ahead.

It seems like we are becoming very conservative, almost like a "prevent" style defense, even on offfense.

I have noticed that our percentage chance of making last second shots, either on the shot clock or the game clock, is not very good.

It seems as if every player on the floor plays a completely different style than what is normal to them. Sturns slows down, Calvin passes on open 3's, Wooden passes out of the paint, Davis passes on open jumpers, and then someone misses the layup at he last few seconds of the shot clock.

One person needs to step up and be the LEADER , the coach on the floor.

“I am not sure what is happening to us late in games,” Davis said. “We are just not making the plays and hitting the shots when we need to.” -from DRC article 2/11

I have always been told by coaches that in basketball if you are within 5 points with 5 minutes left in the game the best coach normally wins.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I hate to knock JJ. I think that Johnny is a fine person. But, I'm not knocking Johnny Jones the man; just Johnny Jones the coach.

JJ's coaching ability is showing serious flaws late in the game. He too often takes them out of their rhythm and puts them in this conservative crap. It doesn't work and then we can't get back into an up tempo mode. Had we continued the style that got us leads, we could very well have only a couple of losses this year.

Jones' record is too good to fire him but it sure doesn't look like we will ever win a conference championship or a NIT berth with him at the helm. How much longer do we wait?

On the other hand, Slinker.....

Jones' record is too good to fire him but it sure doesn't look like we will ever win a conference championship or a NIT berth with him at the helm. How much longer do we wait?

Gray Eagle ole pal.......JJ's record when you take out the NAIA/Div.II wins is 13-9.

And overall, after almost 6 years on the job....he's still sub .500. And his career record is way under .500 when you take out all of the NAIA/Division II wins. Heck, he's had 9 of those alone, in the last three years.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Gray Eagle ole pal.......JJ's record when you take out the NAIA/Div.II wins is 13-9.

And overall, after almost 6 years on the job....he's still sub .500. And his career record is way under .500 when you take out all of the NAIA/Division II wins. Heck, he's had 9 of those alone, in the last three years.

I hear you old buddy and agree with everything that you say but does John Q. Eagle Fan? Patsy schedule or not, most are going to look at his record. For this year it's possible (as you pointed out on the other board) that he could win 20 games. Who is going to pull the plug on a 20 game winner? What's worse is that he beat possibly the best team in the league twice! It doesn't seem to matter that he lost to a one-man team that should be a bottom feeder twice also.

JJ has two things going for him..his record over the six years is above .500 and it's light years ahead of his predecessor. Oh, one other thing; RV hired him.

I think that it's obvious that we are treading water but unless and until we decide to commit to a 'name' coach and be serious about our commitment to basketball, we're stuck with Johnny. Who knows? Maybe one day the little light bulb will come on and JJ may become a Division I coach.

I hear you old buddy and agree with everything that you say but does John Q. Eagle Fan? Patsy schedule or not, most are going to look at his record. For this year it's possible (as you pointed out on the other board) that he could win 20 games. Who is going to pull the plug on a 20 game winner? What's worse is that he beat possibly the best team in the league twice! It doesn't seem to matter that he lost to a one-man team that should be a bottom feeder twice also.

NT lost to UNO twice last year and they did not even have that one-man or a home to play in.

I hear you old buddy and agree with everything that you say but does John Q. Eagle Fan? Patsy schedule or not, most are going to look at his record.

The message "John Q. Eagle Fan" should receive is that creating a winning record against subpar competition and possibly winning 20 games with a terrible RPI and no invite to either tournament is not acceptable.