GreenBat

LINK to Story

Spurned By Stanford

Morgan Informed Thursday To Look Elsewhere

By Brent Yarina

E-Mail This Author

McKinneySports.net Staff Writer

Published: Jan. 26, 2007 10:58 AM

Stanford University informed Eddie Morgan via e-mail late Thursday night that he should find a new school.

Morgan, a three year starter for McKinney High, verbally committed to Stanford on Sept. 24. He selected the Cardinal over TCU, Duke and Air Force.

“They pretty much just pulled his scholarship,” Morgan’s father Earl said. “The new coaching staff re-evaluated and re-ranked Eddie and his new ranking coupled with his SAT scores were not good enough to get him admitted.”

Stanford fired head coach Walt Harris at the end of the season and hired former NFL quarterback Jim Harbaugh.

Morgan was unavailable for comment at time of publication. Earl said Eddie was “devastated” by the turn of events.

Morgan started both ways for McKinney, logging 86 tackles and one sack and scoring a team-high 18 touchdowns. He was named the McKinneyNews.net Elite 11 Defensive MVP and District 9-4A Special Teams MVP. Morgan scored a touchdown in every conceivable way during his career.

Earl called the process an injustice. He said it’s understandable if a school opts to go in another direction, but not two weeks before National Signing Day.

“I think he got a bad deal on this,” Earl said. “I can understand a school having a change of mind. Signing day is Feb. 7. This just doesn’t afford him enough time.”

Earl said Stanford coaches first advised Eddie to start looking at other options Jan. 15. But it wasn’t until late Thursday that the verdict arrived.

“It’s a tough process,” Earl said. “We have no idea what we’re going to do. We’ll meet tonight and try to figure something out.”

Problem is, most schools have completed their recruiting process and awarded all of their available scholarships.

“It’s a possibility he might not be at a [Division] I school for football,” Earl said.

“It will work out somehow.”

From Dallasblog.com

McKinney speedy star dropped

McKinney star WR/DB Eddie Morgan is left looking for a scholarship with the sudden and very unclassy Stanford move of reneging on a scholarship offer. Mckinneysports.net reported Morgan was told Stanford's new coach (Jim Harbaugh) had decided not to honor its offer. Morgan is a hard-hitting DB, with good hands at WR and a terrific special teams returning that should be at the top of SMU. TCU and North Texas lists.

I feel bad for the Morgans, however, I believe Stanford is similar to Princeton in their programs. They do not have athletic scholarships per se, but academic funds for players. If he did not meet his required scores on his entrance exams, the withdrawal of a scholarship would be out of the hands of Coach Harbaugh. Could be good for UNT.

Then you wind up looking bad for taking a kid who just had his scholarship offer yanked for academic reasons...

Disagree. Stanford's admissions requirements are set very high. If he was being considered at Stanford, then he most likely will be able to meet requirements at a public university. No one should look down on that circumstance.

The last SAT test date was Dec. 2, scores were just mailed out on Jan. 10.

Edited by GreenGramma

Can we be clear on this guy?

I don't think the article is very clear about whether or not he qualified academically. His SAT score didn't change when they got the new coach, so something else had to. Maybe the school's standard.

I wonder if they used it as an excuse to pull the offer after they saw they didn't like what this guy had to offer athletically.

It just seems weird that he was good enough for the old staff AND Stanford, but now with the new staff his grades are NOT good enough?

If he was okay'd at one point to be admitted to Stanford, I'd say he's a safe bet to qualify academically here.

Can we be clear on this guy?

It just seems weird that he was good enough for the old staff AND Stanford, but now with the new staff his grades are NOT good enough?

If he was okay'd at one point to be admitted to Stanford, I'd say he's a safe bet to qualify academically here.

90% of the offers and maybe 80% of the LOI are done before the kid has completed all the requirements for the ship I don't care what school you are talking about.

--If they just pulled it without reason... they are rats....... If they had told him what his SAT scores had to be to get the scholarship and he didn't make it then that is a different story. Also he should have taken the SAT much earlier if and and then that would not have been a problem.

---It is reasons like this that coaches should try to reserve a couple back until signing day because you just don't know who might suddenly become available for various reasons.