Dodge Has Had Hectic Last Two Weeks

MeanGreen61

Football: Dodge has had hectic last two weeks

New head coach thrilled with reception at UNT

12:22 AM CST on Saturday, December 30, 2006

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

New North Texas coach Todd Dodge couldn't help but feel a little overwhelmed over the last couple of weeks.

Dodge entered his introductory press conference at the Mean Green Athletic Center on Dec. 12 to the thundering cheers of several dozen fans that packed a room filled with reporters. He has appeared on seemingly every radio and television station in the Dallas-Fort Worth area since and has been widely acclaimed as the hire that will put the UNT athletic department over the top.

And that doesn't even take into account capping his career as a high school coach at Southlake Carroll by winning the Class 5A Division I state championship on Dec. 23 in San Antonio.

It's been a wild ride for sure, one filled with a few restless nights, tough decisions and ultimately a hectic series of days before Dodge finally settled into his office this week.

Dodge described the last few weeks as a whirlwind, one that was easier to navigate because of the wave of support he has received at UNT.

"The reception has been unbelievable," Dodge said. "I don't care what you do in life and what profession you are in, it's good to feel wanted and welcomed. That is the most important thing I can say about this staff, the alumni, the fan base and the entire Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex — it has been a tremendous welcome."

That welcome helped convince Dodge that his decision to come to UNT, one he spent a lot of time pondering, was the right one to make.

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal first contacted Dodge about the job in mid-November. Dodge interviewed with Villarreal and then had a follow-up interview with Villarreal and university president Gretchen Bataille.

UNT offered Dodge its head-coaching job on Dec. 10.

"Two weeks ago, when I was offered the job, it wasn't a one-night deal," Dodge said. "I started discussing it with my family once coach Villarreal made contact with me. We talked about what we were going to do if the job was offered. … It was not a fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants decision. It was well thought out and done in the best interest of our family."

Dodge was introduced as UNT's new head coach two days later, when he said he still had some unfinished business at Carroll. The Dragons were in the middle of their playoff run when Villarreal introduced Dodge as UNT's new head coach.

"When we talked to players who played for coach Dodge, they talked about not only growing as a player but as a person," Villarreal said. "The enthusiasm the players who were here with coach Dodge have is unbelievable."

Dodge was an assistant coach at UNT from 1992-93 and decided to return because he believed he could make the Mean Green a winning program quickly.

"I always make decisions based on my family, but as a coach you have to look yourself in the mirror and ask, 'Can we win?'" Dodge said. "My answer was 100 percent yes. I wouldn't go take a college job just to say I am a college coach. I had to go somewhere I can make a difference and be successful. I believe we can do that here."

Dodge informed his players at Carroll he was leaving the program before his press conference at UNT and proceeded to lead the Dragons to a win over Allen in the state semifinals and a victory over Austin Westlake in the state finals. It was Dodge's fourth Class 5A state title in his tenure at Carroll.

"The way that everything ended at Carroll sends me into this job with a better feeling," Dodge said. "We spent seven years there and left the program in better shape than when we got there."

The days following Carroll's win in the state finals have been hectic for Dodge.

"I got on the charter bus, got back home at 7 in the morning, slept until about noon and then went Christmas shopping," Dodge said. "My son and I went to Austin to spend Christmas with family. I didn't come back until 6 in the morning on Tuesday, got here and at about 10:30 started my new job."

Dodge hasn't taken much of a break since while trying to hire a new staff and catch up in recruiting.

It's been a frantic few weeks for Dodge, but he isn't about to take a break now.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Print E-mail this article Forums

"The reception has been unbelievable," Dodge said. "I don't care what you do in life and what profession you are in, it's good to feel wanted and welcomed. That is the most important thing I can say about this staff, the alumni, the fan base and the entire Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex — it has been a tremendous welcome."

thats a huge statement to me.... including the entire metroplex as a fan base is going to be big in getting the program heading in the right direction. if dodge can make NT seem like the team of the metroplex, our program will grow very quickly.

thats a huge statement to me.... including the entire metroplex as a fan base is going to be big in getting the program heading in the right direction. if dodge can make NT seem like the team of the metroplex, our program will grow very quickly.

It'll be difficult since most of DFW follows UT-Austin. Even with TCU being ranked, they still didn't sell out their games against teams like BYU and Air Force. They came pretty close with TTU. Nothing against TCU, but they can't get 45,000 people in the stands at a decent stadium (and convenient) to watch a team that's been top 25 for a couple years now unless they're playing a name Texas opponent. What could we do to possibly draw more than that, outside of upsetting someone that isn't possible to upset?

Edited by ColoradoEagle

It'll be difficult since most of DFW follows UT-Austin. Even with TCU being ranked, they still didn't sell out their games against teams like BYU and Air Force. They came pretty close with TTU. Nothing against TCU, but they can't get 45,000 people in the stands at a decent stadium (and convenient) to watch a team that's been top 25 for a couple years now unless they're playing a name Texas opponent. What could we do to possibly draw more than that, outside of upsetting someone that isn't possible to upset?

You get a break because you are in Colorado, but you need to get your facts straight. The TTU game was a complete sell-out with tickets being scalped on e-bay. BYU didn't sell out because it started at 5:00 on a Thursday afternoon due to the game being being nationally televised. I will admit one of the things that hurts TCU is the lack of fans visiting teams bring to Fort Worth. We still average over 30,000 with visiting teams only bringing 2-3,000 fans at most. UNT couldn't even come close to selling out at game, even SMU. I know because I was there and saw all the empty seats. Todd Dodge will bring excitement and a winning enthusiasm to UNT, and for that I'm glad. I will be happy to see the day when UNT is able to sell out Fouts, but don't be criticizing TCU until it does.

Didn't I read somewhere that the 2nd largest crowd in Amon Carter history was against North Texas a few years ago?

If so, it wouldn't suprise me. Our fellow "metroplexers" offer a close-by drive that is advantageous for every fan wanting to see the game.

If you're going to argue that TCU faces a tough situation with no conference foe within a (Dr. Evil comin up) billion miles - and they can - then they can't ignore the advantages that playing their neighbors would help ease the uphill battle; that is, getting butts into Amon Carter.

Moving east to the Hill: now that Bennett has things on the upswing, how do their attendance numbers compare to TCU's?

-gm

Edited by greenminer