Intresting Enrollment Numbers

Cerebus

I spoke with an Administrator this week at North Texas and come away with some amazing numbers.

• Our enrollment this last semester was right under35,000.
  • That is more than 11% growth over the last 4 years
  • 27% of all new Texas university students in 2006, enrolled at NT.

Last year, I posted and said that the THECB was planning for us to get to 45,000 within fifteen years. If they revise those numbers it will probably be upward.

If posters here sometimes wonder why we are spending so much time, money and effort into creating more campuses, and constructing new buildings on campus, etc instead of builidng athletic facilities, there is your answer.

Couple with the fact that sooner or later the Texas legislature is going to follow the lead of the California legislature and reap huge cost savings by collapsing most public universities into a few systems, and you can see why it is vital for us to be building academic infrastructure.

I spoke with an Administrator this week at North Texas and come away with some amazing numbers.
  • Our enrollment this last semester was right under35,000.
  • That is more than 11% growth over the last 4 years
  • 27% of all new Texas university students in 2006, enrolled at NT.
Last year, I posted and said that the THECB was planning for us to get to 45,000 within fifteen years. If they revise those numbers it will probably be upward.

If posters here sometimes wonder why we are spending so much time, money and effort into creating more campuses, and constructing new buildings on campus, etc instead of builidng athletic facilities, there is your answer.

Couple with the fact that sooner or later the Texas legislature is going to follow the lead of the California legislature and reap huge cost savings by collapsing most public universities into a few systems, and you can see why it is vital for us to be building academic infrastructure.

I call shenanigans on the 27% number. Assuming they are just included 4-year public schools we are still talking about many schools with large enrollment (>20k):

North Texas, Texas, Texas A&M, Houston, Texas Tech, Texas State, UT-A; UTEP. On top of that we have dozens of smaller public universities. I doubt very much that even the largest school (Texas) has anywhere close to 27% of incoming freshman. We may well be at 7%.

I call shenanigans on the 27% number. Assuming they are just included 4-year public schools we are still talking about many schools with large enrollment (>20k):

North Texas, Texas, Texas A&M, Houston, Texas Tech, Texas State, UT-A; UTEP. On top of that we have dozens of smaller public universities. I doubt very much that even the largest school (Texas) has anywhere close to 27% of incoming freshman. We may well be at 7%.

I agree on the surface there is no way UNT has 27% of the incoming freshman statewide, but this may be a stats thing like if the total statewide freshman enrollment increased from 99,000 to 100,000 students this year maybe we had 270 of the 1000 increase. I don't know.

I am just bored. :pirate:

the Texas legislature is going to follow the lead of the California legislature and reap huge cost savings by collapsing most public universities into a few systems

They can start by merging TWU into UNT and make Denton a one University town! Too much duplication 4 miles apart.

Edited by NT80

Guest GrayEagleOne

If I'm understanding this correctly it doesn't mean just incoming freshmen, it means new to the campus.

Almost 3,000 if those 35,000 are at UNT-Dallas and most of those are new to the campus since we started at a pretty low number. Most of the Schools and Colleges within UNT have had healthy enrollment increases. Still, that probably accounts for only 4,000 or so total increase. We'd have had to have another 5,000 to drop out and be replaced in order to obtain a 27% increase. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but it seems unlikely.