Wku Game Observations

GrandGreen

A few observations/opinions from WKU game. I agree with JJ, this team could be very special. I don't think I have seen JJ coach a better game. NT got great guard play but the difference was the front court. This is by far the best I've seen of Wooden, if he continued to improve he could dominate in this league. The Belt is full of good guards but has very few good post players. NT's bigs; Wooden, Stewart, Williams and Howerton could develop into the best and deepest front court in the Belt.

Anyone else think that Sturns is definitely first team all conference material? Mangrum had some good minutes, although he has not yet shown the outside scoring ability I expected, he is a better overall player than I envisioned. Williams although he missed some easy layups continues to consistently improve. Watson's 30 foot threes were outrageous.

This is only one game and proves no more than the New Orleans loss, but it does illustrate the potential of this team.

I attended last night's game and I too was extremely impressed with Watson, Sturns and Wooden. WKU couldn't guard Watson and Sturns on the perimeter because they were so focused on keeping Wooden out of the paint. Wooden was absolutely killing WKU inside.

JJ coached a masterful game, despite being out-manned by WKU's 9 man rotation. JJ made key adjustments and did a good job of taking the WKU crowd (the wall of noise) out of the game.

I sat in a luxury skybox with catered dinner and open bar. The suite had very cushy leather seat back chairs and a fantastic sightline. My wife and son had a great time also. WKU has a great facility in Diddle Arena

Overall one of the most enjoyable sporting events I have ever attended.

The only other UNT fan I saw in attendance was a very rowdy woman in the cheap seats. It may have been Sturns' sister, but not sure about that.

Are we pretty good or is WKU down this year or both?

It is easy to say, "WKU just had an off night." The fact is that we dominated them on the boards, our big men controlled the inside, we played excellent defense, plus strong 3 point shooting. That is a recipe for success. I think we forced WKU into an "off night" and sub-par play - in short, we were the better team. Make no mistake about it though, WKU is great team. Also, I have been calling on Jones to play more to our big men under the basket, and he did just that during this game. I hope this continues.

It is easy to say, "WKU just had an off night." The fact is that we dominated them on the boards, our big men controlled the inside, we played excellent defense, plus strong 3 point shooting. That is a recipe for success. I think we forced WKU into an "off night" and sub-par play - in short, we were the better team. Make no mistake about it though, WKU is great team. Also, I have been calling on Jones to play more to our big men under the basket, and he did just that during this game. I hope this continues.

Totally agree. If only we can get Howerton some confidence :unsure: . I love the inside out game!

was wondering the same thing after seeing UTA got hammered by Texas Southern last night... :o

That game means as much as football beating SMU. We were and cleary are better then UTA but they wanted it more then us and played better then us. WKU is a good team they did beat a very good Georgia team. We will see if we are good or just play to our competion, when we play the NAIA teams and a very bad Denver team.

That game means as much as football beating SMU. We were and cleary are better then UTA but they wanted it more then us and played better then us. WKU is a good team they did beat a very good Georgia team. We will see if we are good or just play to our competion, when we play the NAIA teams and a very bad Denver team.

UTA did whatever they wanted to offensively that whole game - and don't forget we're missing a star player right now because of the anger left over from the loss. That game will haunt us more than any of the others if we don't win the conference - it's just hard to explain and looks like it will get harder to explain as the season goes on.

On the other hand, its a good lesson for other games and the importance of playing hard buzzer to buzzer...

UTA did whatever they wanted to offensively that whole game - and don't forget we're missing a star player right now because of the anger left over from the loss. That game will haunt us more than any of the others if we don't win the conference - it's just hard to explain and looks like it will get harder to explain as the season goes on.

On the other hand, its a good lesson for other games and the importance of playing hard buzzer to buzzer...

You're right.

But I don't think they have learn anything about playing until the buzzer. Tulsa, Rice, UNO, WKU, all had opportunities to win the game that they shouldn't have had. If Tulsa, Rice , and WKU made one more shot, that they shouldn't had, we would be 5-6 right now. If they lcould just finish games strong we would be 10-1..