Who should play Ohio St. ?

NT03

While looking @ Boise State got me thinking , Lets just say we go undeafeted next year ( OK i know it will NOT happen no matter what) ......just pretend and say we knock off OU,SMU and whomever else it is all the SBC crew.Do you think we would be able to get the national championship game ???

Edited by NT03

Lets just say we go undeafeted next year ( OK i know it will NOT happen no matter what) ......just pretend and say we knock off OU,SMU and whomever else it is  all the SBC crew.Do you think we would be able to get  the national championship game ???

Not a chance, the BCS is a way to keep the storied schools up and the smaller schools down. I'd love for D-1A to go to a playoff system with all the conference champions.

Doesn't matter...

Another

Buckeye

Championship

I love BCS Chaos!. The only thing better is if Ohio State lost a game along the way and now all of the 1 loss teams are claiming stake to the championship game.

Just returned from CA. No way the slow footed Big 10 Clodhoppers can keep up with the speed of USC !!! Weakness of Big 10 FB will be exposed just as ND was.

Edited by DallasGreen

Just returned from CA. No way the slow footed Big 10 Clodhoppers can keep up with the speed of USC !!! Weakness of Big 10 FB will be exposed just as ND was.

I don't know about that. I was at the USC/Oregon game, and USC looked pretty sloppy at times. Booty threw several balls at the feet of the wide receivers. Oregon just played really poorly in that game turning the ball over a couple times in the red zone and couldn't capitalize on USC's slow start. USC turned it on in the end to win handily, but keep in mind they also played several other games against lesser opponents close this year, and Ohio State has PLENTY of speed on both sides of the ball.

While I have little interest in seeing a rematch and don't believe it should happen, I still feel Michigan and Ohio State are the best 2 teams in the nation.

I'll agree with you on one point, however, and that is I think Notre Dame has been overrated all year playing a weak schedule. Look to the USC and Michigan games for further proof.

I don't know about that. I was at the USC/Oregon game, and USC looked pretty sloppy at times. Booty threw several balls at the feet of the wide receivers. Oregon just played really poorly in that game turning the ball over a couple times in the red zone and couldn't capitalize on USC's slow start. USC turned it on in the end to win handily, but keep in mind they also played several other games against lesser opponents close this year, and Ohio State has PLENTY of speed on both sides of the ball.

While I have little interest in seeing a rematch and don't believe it should happen, I still feel Michigan and Ohio State are the best 2 teams in the nation.

I'll agree with you on one point, however, and that is I think Notre Dame has been overrated all year playing a weak schedule. Look to the USC and Michigan games for further proof.

Quote from an LA commentary " maybe to be highly ranked you should play service academies- Notre Dame played Army, Navy, and Air Force, and were rumored to be looking for a contest with an intramural team from the Coast Guard Academy"

Being one who cares little about style points and mostly just Ws and Ls against quality opponents, I present the following (assuming Florida wins the SEC title):

Michigan - one loss @ Ohio State; key wins - ND, Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa

USC - one loss @ Oregon State; key wins - Cal, Arkansas, ND, Oregon, Nebraska

Florida - one loss @ Auburn; key wins - LSU, Tennessee, Arkansas, Bama, Georgia, SCar

Average scores -

Michigan 30.4, Opponents 14.3

USC 32.5, Opponents 14.9

Florida 28.9, Opponents 11.4

Yes, Florida could easily lose to Arkansas -- but that's why this is a hypothetical. I'm wondering, do style points matter THAT much? That's the only reason that I hear for why Florida isn't really even in the discussion, and why USC will face OSU if they beat UCLA, and Michigan will if they don't -- I just think the USC bias may be rearing it's head a bit here. SC CLEARLY has the worst loss of the three, and I'd argue that Michigan has the fewest quality wins. Also, SC, IMHO, plays in the weakest conference (though you could argue against the very top-heavy Big 10). And Michigan didn't even win their own conference, which I have a slight issue with (see Nebraska getting run off the field by Miami a few years ago).

My point is this -- given the stats, the bodies of work, and the strength of schedule -- if Arizona or Washington or Stanford had the exact same year this year that SC had, I don't think they'd be in the discussion -- at least not at this level.

I believe USC is the best one loss team. The Pac-10 is arguably the deepest conference in the country this year(8 bowl eligible teams I believe). Plus OOC wins against 3 top 25 schools(the biggest name independent, plus the SEC West Champ and the Big XII North Champ).

Oregon State was a loss out of the Top 25, however if you go by the BCS ranking OSU *is* in the top 25(at #24).

Edited by CMJ