So. if you watch Fox long enough you'll end up watching CNN? biggrin.gif

As I see it, the political bias spectrum from Left to Right is:

CBS....CNN....ABC....MSNBC....NBC....FOX

The silly thing of it is neither the Left nor Right outlets are changing anyone's minds about anything. They're simply peddling 'political crack' to their respective junkies.

As I see it, the political bias spectrum from Left to Right is:

CBS....CNN....ABC....MSNBC....NBC....FOX

The silly thing of it is neither the Left nor Right outlets are changing anyone's minds about anything.  They're simply peddling 'political crack' to their respective junkies.

Personally I would rank them this way.

CNN....CBS....ABC....MSNBC....NBC....FOX........................NPR With the actual center somewhere around the MSNBC-NBC area.

On this board you'll definately get a "commie news network" response, but I disagree. Like mentioned earlier, Tony Snow is now the head spinmeister of the White House. Who exactly does CNN have that makes it lean so far to the left? Anderson Cooper? Wolf Blitzer? hardly.

MSNBC is farther to the left than CNN, they just try and balance it out with those nutbars Scarborough and Tucker Carlson, but it doesn't really work.

• 2 weeks later...

(gksmith @ Nov 25 2006, 07:51 PM)You actually get dumber watching Fox News.

How about the STUPID thing Fox News was reporting on: Happy Feet is about a GAY PENGUIN. blink.gifblink.gifhuh.gifhuh.gif

Go to Comedy Central, look at The Daily Show and look for Lewis Black "Back in Black" December 6. He includes a clip of Gretchen Carlson (Fox & Friends) and Michael Medvid (movie critic) talking about the movie being about "gay penguins."

That is so scary that people actually watch and BELIEVE stupid statements like that.

Edited by gksmith

• 4 weeks later...

On this board you'll definately get a "commie news network" response, but I disagree. Like mentioned earlier, Tony Snow is now the head spinmeister of the White House. Who exactly does CNN have that makes it lean so far to the left? Anderson Cooper? Wolf Blitzer? hardly.

MSNBC is farther to the left than CNN, they just try and balance it out with those nutbars Scarborough and Tucker Carlson, but it doesn't really work.

--CNN... McCaffrey who is on with Blitzer is pretty much to the left .... The guy on at about 6:00 is definitely no Bush-lover (name escapes me at the moment). Thinks he has made a mess of Iraq, immigration, budget deficits, and exporting jobs.

--- Fox is horrible ( my opinion). They may be fairly good at the truth but when it comes to the whole truth they have a real problem. They are very selective in what they report. Some of their people are ok but several tend to just talk over prople when they don't like the answers or word questions that are loaded to make certain people look bad.... Such as "When did you begain to think like a sociallist? if they want a person to look bad. They can get rather ridiculous..... They might pass as entertainment but not as credible newscasts.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Personally I would rank them this way.

CNN....CBS....ABC....MSNBC....NBC....FOX........................NPR With the actual center somewhere around the MSNBC-NBC area.

Pretty much agree... NPR.???? Seems more like:

CNN...........CBS.....ABC...MSNBC...NBC...................................FOX ..................... CBN*

* Pat Robinson, Falwell, and buddies.

Guest JohnDenver

I don't watch CNN and when I think of CNN I really think of Headline News Network (HNN).

The consensus is that CNN is balls out left.

Can examples be shown to me?

I honestly want to know what I am missing. Maybe I can't see the forest through the trees...

In fact, I found tons of instances where liberals claim CNN has a conservative slant.

CNN Conservative bias?

--CNN... McCaffrey who is on with Blitzer is pretty much to the left .... The guy on at about 6:00 is definitely no Bush-lover (name escapes me at the moment). Thinks he has made a mess of Iraq, immigration, budget deficits, and exporting jobs.

Lou Dobbs. Hasn't struck me as siding with either the left or right. He's found the moderate audience that keeps his ratings decent, so he sticks with it. Seriously, what better hot topics to get people worked up than illegal immigration, war on the middle class, and exporting jobs overseas? He markets himself a martyr for the middle & working classes.

Seriously, what better hot topics to get people worked up than illegal immigration, war on the middle class, and exporting jobs overseas? He markets himself a martyr for the middle & working classes.

Yes, Dobbs is a fear monger who ignores the fact that disposable income is up, unemployment is lower than it was in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, household expenditures on non-essential products is at an all-time high, and the trade deficit is actually good for our country. But he keeps pounding on this "War on the Middle Class".

Guest JohnDenver

Well it all in how you look at the data.

disposable income is up

More double incoming households and line of credit..

unemployment is lower than it was in the 70s, 80s, and 90s

The quality of jobs is down though. The job growth is occurring in fast food and part time retail. Those are jobs for teenagers, not the "middle class."

household expenditures on non-essential products is at an all-time high

So in per household debt. This isn't talking about "good debt" like college or house mortgage, it is taking retail credit.

...and the trade deficit is actually good for our country.

That is a pretty backhanded compliment. Just like "Shaq is pretty quick, for a big fat guy..."

Actually, according to the BLS, the rate of two income households has remained the same over the past 30 years. The actual growth in the raw number of two-income households is nothing more than a result of population growth.

Job growth is occurring in all sectors, not just fast food. I mean, c'mon... we don't have 15 million new burger flippers. According to the raw numbers last quarter reported by the BLS, the sectors with the highest job growth have been professional & business services, education, health care, and government. Retail and hospitality have the 2nd and 3rd lowest growth.

A trade deficit is not synonymous with debt. Trade deficits mean that foreign nations are selling their goods to a vibrant American economy. Adam Smith wrote "Nothing, however, can be more absurd than this whole doctrine of the balance of trade."

Keep in mind that people like Lou Dobbs misrepresent the numbers in order to generate ratings. This is why as Americans we have to dig into the actual statistics and get the real picture for ourselves... and the real picture is that the American economy is doing great.

Edited by UNTflyer

Actually, according to the BLS, the rate of two income households has remained the same over the past 30 years. The actual growth in the raw number of two-income households is nothing more than a result of population growth.

Job growth is occurring in all sectors, not just fast food. I mean, c'mon... we don't have 15 million new burger flippers. According to the raw numbers last quarter reported by the BLS, the sectors with the highest job growth have been professional & business services, education, health care, and government. Retail and hospitality have the 2nd and 3rd lowest growth.

A trade deficit is not synonymous with debt. Trade deficits mean that foreign nations are selling their goods to a vibrant American economy. Adam Smith wrote "Nothing, however, can be more absurd than this whole doctrine of the balance of trade."

Keep in mind that people like Lou Dobbs misrepresent the numbers in order to generate ratings. This is why as Americans we have to dig into the actual statistics and get the real picture for ourselves... and the real picture is that the American economy is doing great.

You must have gotten a degree in economics like myself. Not many people take the time to research this and when they do not many actually understand what the numbers mean.

You must have gotten a degree in economics like myself. Not many people take the time to research this and when they do not many actually understand what the numbers mean.

I'm a Business IT major, but yeah I agree. I question the integrity of the media outlets when we have basically the same type of economic growth today as we did in the 1990s... but vastly different perspectives in the news reports.

---People don't understand numbers (statistics)....... That is the absolute truth...!!! I teach a math class for business majors with statistics in it and one of my favorite examples is to claim that if "Bill Gates walks in and joins us, then average person is worth about $2,000,000,000 -- which is $2000 million each. The average (mean) is then totally screwed up. People need to think about what they hear.

---People and politicians (especially) are always picking and choosing stats to picture things as they want it to look. The worst lately was the Perry ad claiming that Texans would get an average property tax reduction of $2000. It ran last summer and later Strayhorn tried to use it against him in the fall .... geeez .....probably half of Texans don't even pay that much total... There are a lot of people (mostly not college grads) who own very inexpensive housing, if they own anything..

---- A lot of these tax reductions (by various groups) have only effected the higher end of income and middle 2/3 have received about nothing in tax relief... plus those on the extreme lower end (min wage) have not received an hourly increase in years. You are correct about unemployment... most of the increased job market lately has been lower end jobs (not locally, I live in the West Texas oil fields) ... but even as lot of those are well paid but unskilled and require no real education...

--**-- Another favorite... A few years a ago a company ran ads trying to sell a course to improve math skills .. They claimed that 1/2 of all Americans could not even score average on a national math exam. .........duh....... what does average mean???? I guess the people that bought this really did need it if they could not figure out the problem with this logic.... LOL

---People don't understand numbers (statistics)....... That is the absolute truth...!!! I teach a math class for business majors with statistics in it and one of my favorite examples is to claim that if "Bill Gates walks in and joins us, then average person is worth about $2,000,000,000 -- which is $2000 million each. The average (mean) is then totally screwed up. People need to think about what they hear.

---People and politicians (especially) are always picking and choosing stats to picture things as they want it to look. The worst lately was the Perry ad claiming that Texans would get an average property tax reduction of $2000. It ran last summer and later Strayhorn tried to use it against him in the fall .... geeez .....probably half of Texans don't even pay that much total... There are a lot of people (mostly not college grads) who own very inexpensive housing, if they own anything..

---- A lot of these tax reductions (by various groups) have only effected the higher end of income and middle 2/3 have received about nothing in tax relief... plus those on the extreme lower end (min wage) have not received an hourly increase in years. You are correct about unemployment... most of the increased job market lately has been lower end jobs (not locally, I live in the West Texas oil fields) ... but even as lot of those are well paid but unskilled and require no real education...

--**-- Another favorite... A few years a ago a company ran ads trying to sell a course to improve math skills .. They claimed that 1/2 of all Americans could not even score average on a national math exam. .........duh....... what does average mean???? I guess the people that bought this really did need it if they could not figure out the problem with this logic.... LOL

Yea, how about those high property taxes? Where do they go? mostly to education? We keep throwing more and more and more money at "education" only to see it wasted on these mega, "mecca-type" schools with a dozen principles and asst. principles and asst. asst. principles. Add to that the state of the art football, baseball, soccer, and basketball facilities. Teachers need pay raises. Get the focus off of new state of the-art-schools and athelitic facilities and high $ administrators.

As long as schools are funded by property taxes, we NEED to criticize our local fools who waste these funds on ANYTHING not related to improving eduacation. It makes us all sick to pay excessively high prop. taxes and see them wasted on meaningless crap.

You can spend a million dollars per student... if they don't want to learn, they're not going to learn.

The problem with education isn't money... it's a lack of commitment by students. Maybe if they were all required to work in crappy jobs every summer, we'd see a rise in scores and graduation rates.

Yea, how about those high property taxes? Where do they go? mostly to education? We keep throwing more and more and more money at "education" only to see it wasted on these mega, "mecca-type" schools with a dozen principles and asst. principles and asst. asst. principles. Add to that the state of the art football, baseball, soccer, and basketball facilities. Teachers need pay raises. Get the focus off of new state of the-art-schools and athletic facilities and high $ administrators.

As long as schools are funded by property taxes, we NEED to criticize our local fools who waste these funds on ANYTHING not related to improving education. It makes us all sick to pay excessively high prop. taxes and see them wasted on meaningless crap.

---It appears you don't realize that the state once funded over 60% of the cost of public education in Texas... It has dropped to under 40% now. Some of of our wonderful current state officials (elected) brag about all their tax cuts but this also means less state money available for schools and other programs [ state-parks are falling apart as well] . Guess what..local districts now have to make up the difference..... by increasing property taxes..... I have no idea where you live but there isn't much waste here. With the conduct of today's students, those assistant-principals are needed. I do agree that some of the athletic facilities are a bit extreme but most are built with bond money so the tax-payers are voting for them. There are a lot more administrators than there once were but many are needed just to keep up with all the red tape required by the state and others. I know of a couple "administrators" that did nothing but apply for grant money from various sources.... they brought in a lot more than their salary was so I would say their position was cost-effective.

---Not that it matters but I spent 30 years in public school classrooms ...I now teach in a community college college... so I do have some idea of what I am talking about. and yes teacher are under-paid. It is also true that public schools have a lot less males teaching in them than there once was because of the salary situation. If I were graduating today I would not do what I did which is go into education... partly because of the attitude of students and parents and partly because salaries are now much lower than what I could earn in other jobs (mathematics, engineering etc.) .

---Guess why tuition is going up so rapidly..... the state (Texas) has cut funding there as well and public colleges have to do something to make up for the financial losses.... which means tuition has to increase.

---As long as we keep electing these guys who want to do nothing but cut taxes, we will have more problems funding and staffing schools at the local level. It costs a certain amount of money to operate schools and the money has to come from somewhere and lately it has meant higher local property taxes.

You can spend a million dollars per student... if they don't want to learn, they're not going to learn.

The problem with education isn't money... it's a lack of commitment by students. Maybe if they were all required to work in crappy jobs every summer, we'd see a rise in scores and graduation rates.

---Absolutely... I could not wait for my summer jobs to end ..... I knew I did not want to do those for the rest of my life. My sons both have said to me that their jobs ( in HS and college summers ) made them realize what it took to earn $5.00 and it changed their attitudes a great deal. All HS students need to get a job at least in the summer to learn a lot more about life..... and without parents just handing them a pile of cash when they want it.

--- Both of my sons decided working in a lumberyard or Sears really wasn't what they wanted to do... both are now software engineers. ...LOL... A few dirty, boring, or distastful jobs is a great motivation to do well in school...