NO Bowl gets new sponsor

MeanGreen61

R&L Carrier's presents the R&L Carriers' New Orleans Bowl brought you by R&L Carriers.

Awesome.

The new logo has our green...so I guess a small part of us is still there.

I heard the TOILET BOWL has a new sponsor too.... Welcome to the 2006 DD & Inc.'s Toliet Bowl. Where we will match up the University of North Texas vs. any NAIA team that has at least 3 wins but no more than 5. Game will be played at the softball fields behind the Beer Barn. No passing plays allowed and teams will be given 5 timeouts a quarter to use. Cant wait .. Anyone wanna guess whom we might play ??? laugh.gif

Edited by NT03

Despite what the bitter and hateful crew might think, a new sponsor is great.

I notice no teams turned down going to the WeedEater bowl because of the title sponsor. And none of the teams turned down any of the money either.

Wasn’t there once a Salad Bowl? Did anyone turn down that bowl because of the name?

Wasn’t there once a Salad Bowl? Did anyone turn down that bowl because of the name?

NT actually played in the very 1st Salad Bowl , Jan 01 ,1948. Lost vs. Nevada 13-6

There is a triva question for ya wink.gif

Salad Bowl History : 1948 - 1952. Winners included Nevada (48) , Drake (49),Xavier(50),Miami OH (51) & Houston (52)

Yes Its True...Im a Triva GEEK laugh.giflaugh.gif

Despite what the bitter and hateful crew might think, a new sponsor is great.

I notice no teams turned down going to the WeedEater bowl because of the title sponsor. And none of the teams turned down any of the money either.

I'm bitter and hateful now? I stayed positive pretty long about things - I just think that this sponsor makes it even easier for those quippy bowl season previews to marginalize this game in their bowl season overviews and get in a few cheap digs.

Yes, a sponsor is great - but the fact that this bowl could be marketed as a way to show a company is committed to supporting the NO economy makes me think we could have done better. It's easy and relatively cheap goodwill for a company to sponsor this thing. And, if anything, with it running on a Friday (a ratings graveyard all around) I wonder if the sponsorship price moved even lower. This is great for the sponsor company - I bet they got a tremendous value and more power to them for finding a non-traditional way to promote their service and support the Belt and NO.

Was I advocating turning down the bowl? I am sure whoever goes will have a great time, get a nice check, and get a head start on practicing for next season. I didn't know I was planning a grassroots boycott of the only bowl we have enjoyed in the last several decades. I just made what I thought was a light-hearted joke at a goofy sounding name - much like people do with the bowls you mentioned.

Yes, a sponsor is great - but the fact that this bowl could be marketed as a way to show a company is committed to supporting the NO economy makes me think we could have done better. It's easy and relatively cheap goodwill for a company to sponsor this thing. And, if anything, with it running on a Friday (a ratings graveyard all around) I wonder if the sponsorship price moved even lower. This is great for the sponsor company - I bet they got a tremendous value and more power to them for finding a non-traditional way to promote their service and support the Belt and NO.

First “bitter and hateful” was probably a bit much on my part. Just because the team is losing it is not the end of the world.

On the subject of corporate sponsors, I have at least some experience in getting sponsors for PBS programs and for non-profit events. I started doing some of that in the late 80s and still do. While it might appear that you can get a sponsor for anything, when you actually try it is MUCH harder.

In the late 80s, you could make just a couple of calls and come up with a sponsor or two. In the 90s, you needed to have a nice looking package of facts. Now, if you don’t have a professionally produced multimedia presentation, no one will listen. They want to know how many eyeballs they are buying. The large companies want really big events only. Smaller companies don’t have the dollars to buy naming rights. With the mid-sized companies, you not only need enough eyeballs for the price, they have to be the RIGHT eyeballs for their market. And all of them are told daily by other potential beneficiaries that THEY are the right buy.

There was a time when companies wanted made large charitable donations for good PR. Now, those companies get hammered by their stockholders for doing just that! Fund raising today is very, very difficult.

As for the bowl being a ratings problem, I really doubt that. I don’t remember the exact details, but at least one of NT’s New Orlean’s Bowl appearances was the then highest rated bowl ever one ESPN2. As a general rule, college football gets higher ratings on Fridays than Tuesdays. ESPN would not have agreed to moving the game unless they thought the viewers would be there.

The bottom line is someone did a lot of very hard work to get a sponsor for the bowl. Bowls without sponsors do not last. And, again I point out no one turned down going to the Weed Eater bowl because of the funny name!

I think it's great.

The SBC may not be a big NCAA player yet, but it's bowl game is in a prime bowl location, and is moving up the bowl food chain.

The NO Bowl has a better time slot than the Poinsettia, the Las Vegas, the Birmingham, the Music City, or the Sun.

It has a better destination location (traditionally) than the FW, the Birmingham, the Albuquerque, the Motor City, the Independence, the Texas, the Music City, the Sun, the Liberty, or the Car Care, IMO.

Crap.  Atleast Wyndham had a hint of class to it... now we have a sponsor that a high school playoff game could get...

Send your resume to the New Orleans Bowl, care of the Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation. I'm sure that an organization comprised of business leaders in New Orleans who have an interest in sports would appreciate finding someone with greater skill than they have.

Hey, R & L Carriers is one of the secondary sponsors for the #17 DeWalt Ford Fusion which is leading the points in the Chase for the Nextel Cup right now.  I think they're a pretty viable and respected company.

Wonder if we could get TMS to sponsor the New Stadium?????

Maybe it could be designed to look like the Race Track (from the outside)

huh.gifhuh.gif