my thoughts

bigrobdsp

Am I the only one around here who doesnt think that DD is going anywhere for a while? I dont think that the school is going to let him go while he is under contract (translation, I dont think they will pay him to not work). I think that the increase in fan attendance and winning 4 straight gives him alot more rope with the administration than anyone on this board seems to think. I think that it will take alot more losing (loosing) to convince anyone in admin that it is worth spending the money to get a new coach. I also think that every name that has been proposed on this board is out of reach for us. Todd Dodge? really... no chance. a new coach is going to have to need us worse than we need him. I hate to be all doom and gloom, but I just dont see DD going anywhere untill his current contract is up (2010 I think). I ceartainly dont see him going anywhere this year regarudless of how the rest of this season pans out.

Edited by bigrobdsp

If the ship keeps sinking and the fan base continues to decline (game attendance), there is a real possibility that there will be change. There are some factors that you might want to consider. First, the new president is in her honeymoon period with the school, so she could pull the plug on Darrell. Secondly, the math of empty seats vs. keeping him could factor out in the direction of a new coach. Thirdly, a case can be made that keeping Dickey interfers with the school's intentions of building a new stadium, since he could be seen as a detriment to that end. Fourthly, Dickey's surly attitude toward the fan base had not made him many friends....his remarks about having such a difficult situation here cannot garner much sympathy. There are a number of coaches out there that see this as a good situation for them, not an impediment. There is nothing wrong with the NT situation that a positive attitude cannot cure. Remember, also, that if NT want it done they always find the money...hell, they pissed away $200,000 on a new logo.

Dickey is in too close (cloose) to Bobby Jackson and of course the furniture king of Houston. He's not going anywhere and as long as he's still here Ramon will be here as well. Dickey is too stubborn to admit he made a mistake with the OC so we'll all be suffering for another 3 or 4 years.

The upside to this of course is there will be PLENTY of good seats available for home games in the fall.

Edited by CorinthEagle

If Dickey's contract is through the 2010 season, I don't think they can afford to basically double up the HC salary for four seasons. However, if the season dosn't turn around, they are going to have to do something... anything...

Now, if we do get a new HC, some have said that we should be thinking long term. I think it is unreasonable to believe that we could recruit a high caliber HC that intends to spend his career here. I have no problem with him using UNT as a stepping stone for a bigger program. I think that is the only way, as we stand right now, that we could get a top talent to come here. We could afford a quality HC if we made his salary incentive based (i.e. increase game attendance, $X for conference championship, $X for going to a bowl, increased season tickets, increased MeagGreenClub memebers, etc...) Here are some positives that I see with a high quality coach but short-term contract:

- They would try to do as much with the program as possible in as short a time as possible

- If they move to a bigger 1A program, replacements will see our program as a good step for their career and therefore should be easier to get quality replacements

- As our program gets better and moves up the rankings of D1A teams, I think it will become only eaiser to recruit top talent for the sidelines and on the field

- If our new HC doesn't pan out, you can get rid of him sooner rather than later.

Am I the only one around here who doesnt think that DD is going anywhere for a while? I dont think that the school is going to let him go while he is under contract (translation, I dont think they will pay him to not work). I think that the increase in fan attendance and winning 4 straight gives him alot more rope with the administration than anyone on this board seems to think. I think that it will take alot more losing (loosing) to convince anyone in admin that it is worth spending the money to get a new coach. I also think that every name that has been proposed on this board is out of reach for us. Todd Dodge? really... no chance. a new coach is going to have to need us worse than we need him. I hate to be all doom and gloom, but I just dont see DD going anywhere untill his current contract is up (2010 I think). I ceartainly dont see him going anywhere this year regarudless of how the rest of this season pans out.

I will have to say you are somewhat right. I know that the football program has grown since RV has been on duty? 5 years? RV has seen attendance, donations, sponsors, mean green club & tailgating all increase every year. That means more $ overall, if we keep losing all that will be lost and I know that is not in RV's grand scheme of things. If DD can't get it done, he will put someone in who can.

I think you are probably right. If they win 2 more games this season, then probably all the coaches are fine. If they win one more, then they MIGHT get rid of the Offensive Line coach. If they don't win anymore this season, which after last week is totally possible, then that might be enough to get rid of the OL coach and RF. Can you imagine how brutal next year's team would be with D "k8mitb"D if we finished 2-9 again this year.

If this is true I'm going to hide under a rock for the next 4 years. I can't take 4 more years of the garbage we've seen the last few weeks.

I think you are probably right.  If they win 2 more games this season, then probably all the coaches are fine.  If they win one more, then they MIGHT get rid of the Offensive Line coach.  If they don't win anymore this season, which after last week is totally possible, then that might be enough to get rid of the OL coach and RF.  Can you imagine how brutal next year's team would be with D "k8mitb"D if we finished 2-9 again this year.

If these coaches are still around next year then you will be witness to the demise of NT football. Fans, MG Club and donor support will be thrown back into the dark ages. ph34r.gif