RE: RV's post

Stan R

I thought there were some very interesting tidbits in RV's coded message to the board recently. One of those was to say that the new stadium would be here in 6 years. If my math is correct that would be 2012. Did he just readjust our expectations for a new stadium out by 3 years? Last I heard was 2009. Hmmm... ph34r.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought there were some very interesting tidbits in RV's coded message to the board recently.  One of those was to say that the new stadium would be here in 6 years.  If my math is correct that would be 2012.  Did he just readjust our expectations for a new stadium out by 3 years? Last I heard was 2009.  Hmmm...  ph34r.gif

I'll have to reread what he said, but that was not my impression of what he said. I think the 6 year thing was referencing the fact that before 2000 (6 years ago) there was no plans for a new stadium, and that we cannot just expect that one would be built within 6 years of our demands. Moreover, though he said that while donations are low, the stadium project 2009 date is still on track. I'll have to reread it, and maybe you should try to with this perspective, and see if my take is remotely accurate.

Edited by chrisfisher

I'll have to reread what he said, but that was not impression of what he said. I think the 6 year thing was referencing the fact that before 2000 (6 years ago) there was no plans for a new stadium, and that we cannot just expect that one would be built within 6 years of our demands. Moreover, though he said that while donations are low, the stadium project 2009 date is still on track.  I'll have to reread it, and maybe you should try to with this perspective, and see if my take is remotely accurate.

Many of you are unaware of what's actually going on with the stadium. Rick can not at this time make any confirmed statements about the actual capital campaign... but, I assure you this (building the stadium) is going to happen within the six year period, if not sooner... an announcement will be made this spring regarding all plans for the stadium. Be patient!!! Something everyone needs to remember, we have reconstructed facilities that should have been done twenty years ago...you can thank Rick V. and a few others, for this astonishing turn around. Rick understands how to hire good people for half the cost at other places, knows how to direct the building of facilities and has a vision...and, we're getting him very cheep comparatively speaking. Hope he doesn't leave or we'd be in big trouble, I can assume you of that as well! We are in very goods hands with Rick V.!

By the way, Darrell Dickey will be gone before or at the end of this season. Take that to the bank!!!

Many of you are unaware of what's actually going on with the stadium. Rick can not at this time make any confirmed statements about the actual capital campaign... but, I assure you this (building the stadium) is going to happen within the six year period, if not sooner... an announcement will be made this spring regarding all plans for the stadium. Be patient!!! Something everyone needs to remember, we have reconstructed facilities that should have been done twenty years ago...you can thank Rick V. and a few others, for this astonishing turn around. Rick understands how to hire good people for half the cost at other places, knows how to direct the building of facilities and has a vision...and, we're getting him very cheep comparatively speaking. Hope he doesn't leave or we'd be in big trouble, I can assume you of that as well! We are in very goods hands with Rick V.!

By the way, Darrell Dickey will be gone before or at the end of this season. Take that to the bank!!!

You say that Darrell Dickey will be gone. What if he wins the conference championship? Does RV have full autonomy over the athletic dept. under the new president? Is Bobby Ray going to stay out of RV's way, and let him make this change?

Edited by Green Dozer

Hmmm. interesting information. What's your source for this insight? Why should we believe your "assurances"? Those are some bold claims - especially regarding DD. ph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

IMHO it would be cheaper to refurbish Fouts Field than build a new one.

RV has already stated that Fouts Field is CUSA approved and UNT will NOT have to build another to be accepted into CUSA. We know it was not a factor when the WAC offered us membership.

Some say the water table is 20 feet below the playing surface. On what information??

Again, it would be cheaper to dig down 20 or 30 feet, move the field over to the student side, get rid of the track, and move the press box side closer to the field along with the end zone seats. (AKA Jones Stadium at Texas Tech).

UNT could literally save millions from building a new stadium.

As far as the team goes, IMHO again, realistically, if DD and RF put together game plans similar to SMU and Akron then UNT has a chance of winning the rest of our games even against LaTech who has lost to:

Nebraska ....................... 49-10

Texas A&M........................45-12

and beat Nichols State........31-21

I can see the loses to Nebraska and Texas A&M but such a close loss to 1-AA Nicholls State???

If DD and RF throw just 40% of the time from now to the end of the year this will:

1. Open up DD's beloved running game and let JT run for 100+ y/p/g.

2. Open up WW as a legitimate option threat.

3. End the season 10-2 with a win in the NO Bowl....10-3

As much as I have personally critisized DD calling him "Keep 8 in the Box" and RF as "I can count all my plays on my digits" I will refrain from doing so as long as both of these former D-1A QB's can show creativity for the rest of the season with game plans that they are capable of creating similar to that of SMU and Akron. I will say that UNT has the talent .... now they need the creativity of the coaches to finish the season 10-3.

As far as Fouts Field the refurbishing can be done between seasons. This refurbishing would give the Texas DOT enough room to expand in the vacated space of the Alumi section.

Ok....this ought to be enough ammo to get some scathing responses.

Edited by eulesseagle

Well, I have heard more issues with the moving the sides of the stadium closer to the field than just the water table, like:

Is that even possible?

Is fouts structurally sound enough to be moved like that?

In addition, the UNT master plan already has plans for that area to be (can't remember which) either a opera house or a parking garage.

Rick V. makes all personnel decision regarding his direct reports. Darrell has already been told that he's out with another loosing season. A non-competitive football team will not be tolerated by Rick. Wait and see...

UNT78, I hope you are a creditable source for your information. Your reference to a loosing season makes your post suspect on this board. dry.gif

Edited by DeepGreen

UNT78, I hope you are a creditable source for your information.  Your reference to a loosing season makes your post suspect on this board. dry.gif

Come on Deep, based on the history on this board, it makes it fit RIGHT in!!!

I can just see it...

RV: Darrell, we've decided to move in another direction...

DD: But, Rick, we just won our 5th title in 6 years and went 9-3.. I was 2-9 last year?? How can this be, we are winning!

RV: Yes, but your teams are getting looser. They're loosing. I had a meeting with UNT78, and he agreed that the loosing was unacceptable.

Rick V. makes all personnel decision regarding his direct reports. Darrell has already been told that he's out with another loosing season. A non-competitive football team will not be tolerated by Rick. Wait and see...

You've got guts, my friend, to come out with such bold statements. I know proof would be unrealistic at this point, but can you shed detail on your knowledge?

ph34r.gifohmy.gif

I seriously am doubting we'll see the new stadium by the 2009 season. We haven't even broken ground, the new Cowboy stadium in Arlington has been under construction for several months already and it's scheduled for a 2009 opening.

And Euless, the idea of renovating Fouts wont work. The changes you mentioned wouldn't do anything about the restrooms, concession areas, small concourses, and no club level or luxery suites which are a cash cow for the athletic dept.

Build New!! ( Besides we've already built the locker room, training facilities, etc )

I seriously am doubting we'll see the new stadium by the 2009 season.  We haven't even broken ground,  the new Cowboy stadium in Arlington has been under construction for several months already and it's scheduled for a 2009 opening.

And Euless,  the idea of renovating Fouts wont work.  The changes you mentioned wouldn't do anything about the restrooms, concession areas, small concourses, and no club level or luxery suites which are a cash cow for the athletic dept. 

Build New!!  ( Besides we've already built the locker room, training facilities, etc )

How long did it take them to put up the DISD stadium..? I would figure our new one to be closer to that scale than the new Cowboys stadium.

On another topic wasn't the reason we rescheduled Air Force to opening day 2009 so we could open at home in a new stadium?

Guest GrayEagleOne

As to Fouts, one of Hayden Fry's early ideas was to dig out Fouts, removing the track and rimming the field with seats. The existing stands would've become the upper deck of the new stadium. He had plans drawn but when they were checking the feasibility they discovered pipes and a water table that made the project too costly.

Besides, I'd like to say that I attended the first and last game at Fouts.

As Baby Arm stated, the athletic center was built with the new stadium in mind.

I have no clue about DD. Certainly, part would depend on this year but there are other considerations as well. I know dozens of people who no longer come to the games but some have maintained both Mean Green Club giving and bought season tickets. They just won't come as long as Dickey is there. How much impact that has with RV and/or the BOR I do not know.

IMHO it would be cheaper to refurbish Fouts Field than build a new one.

RV has already stated that Fouts Field is CUSA approved and UNT will NOT have to build another to be accepted into CUSA.  We know it was not a factor when the WAC offered us membership.

Some say the water table is 20 feet below the playing surface.  On what information??

Again, it would be cheaper to dig down 20 or 30 feet, move the field over to the student side, get rid of the track, and move the press box side closer to the field along with the end zone seats.  (AKA Jones Stadium at Texas Tech).

UNT could literally save millions from building a new stadium.

As far as the team goes, IMHO again, realistically, if DD and RF put together game plans similar to SMU and Akron then UNT has a chance of winning the rest of our games even against LaTech who has lost to:

Nebraska  ....................... 49-10

Texas A&M........................45-12

and beat Nichols State........31-21

I can see the loses to Nebraska and Texas A&M but such a close loss to 1-AA Nicholls State???

If DD and RF throw just 40% of the time from now to the end of the year this will:

1.  Open up DD's beloved running game and let JT run for 100+ y/p/g.

2.  Open up WW as a legitimate option threat.

3.  End the season 10-2 with a win in the NO Bowl....10-3

As much as I have personally critisized DD calling him "Keep 8 in the Box" and RF as "I can count all my plays on my digits" I will refrain from doing so as long as both of these former D-1A QB's can show creativity for the rest of the season with game plans that they are capable of creating similar to that of SMU and Akron.  I will say that UNT has the talent .... now they need the creativity of the coaches to finish the season 10-3.

As far as Fouts Field the refurbishing can be done between seasons.  This refurbishing would give the Texas DOT enough room to expand in the vacated space of the Alumi section.

Ok....this ought to be enough ammo to get some scathing responses.

We're already 1-3, how we going to finish the regular season at 10-2?