We Suck!

shaft

What an awful bunch of fans.  We bitch and moan about everything.  We over react and throw tantrums daily.  We ignore the reality of where our program is and what it takes to move foward.

And what's that reality, Shaft? Where's our program today and what does it take for us to move forward?

Getting back to where we were a few years ago isn't good enough!  Doesn't anyone understand?

You have to get back to where you were before you can move forward. I think replacing the coach would be a step backwards. He's done what we've asked this year. The way I see it, the two biggest gripes this season(before this week) were to make Woody the qb and to pass the ball more. Well we did that in Akron so we are making progress and I bet MTSU won't have the same kickoff success that Akron did.

I think that it's pretty normal for a dedicated fan base to really get lathered up when their team isn't doing well. Frankly, it's the mark of a fan base that cares about it's team's success, and as UNT moves up the food chain, it will get worse! laugh.gif

I felt like, when I saw UNT's schedule this year, that they would have difficulty with Tulsa and Akron--two conference champions who the MG had to go on the road to play. I think there are a couple factors that the MG are struggling with, and those are things that don't get solved overnight, and are greatly magnified against a higher level of competition. But man, this season is a long way from over, and there are a lot of young players on this football team that I feel are going to be seen and heard from a lot in the next few weeks. But I digress...

QB play. Like it or not, UNT is basically trotting out 2 Sophomores (Meager/Phillips), and, arguably, a RS Freshman equivalent in Wilson. I'm not goint to rehash this, but let's just say that it is going to get better in this area, and at least there is lots of depth at this position with Tune. I'm not sure I've ever seen this at UNT before. The position has the potential to be awesome by the end of the year, and lights out next year.

OL play. Attrition and inexperience. UNT started a Freshman at center against Akron. This position is loaded with Frosh/Sophomores, and could be scary good in a year. Could be scary good this year down the line. This area is going to be better, overall. Could even be the team strong point by the end of the year.

No question that the defense, so far, is miles better than last year. Definitely making strides there. My take is that UNT is a very well-coached football team overall. (I know, that's probably a shock to some.) laugh.gif

I'm not sure what everyone's expectations were/are this year. If this team that was 2-9 last year and didn't win an OOC game goes 2-3 OOC and wins the Belt--or even 1-4, and wins the Belt, I for one will consider it a pretty damn good turnaround.

Which doesn't speak to some of the dissatisfaction on this board with 'Devil Dickey'. cool.gif

I think what each of the MG Nation needs to do at the end of the season is ask:

* Are we competitive OOC?

* Are we kicking the Sun Belt's (where, like it or not, UNT plays) collective ass?

* Are the coaches putting the players in the best position to make plays and win games?

* Are our recruiting efforts bearing fruit?

* Are donations increasing?

* Is attendance increasing?

* Is student attendance increasing?

* Is the season ticket base increasing?

* Is the MGC membership increasing?

* Did I do my part to make these things happen?

Those items have to be answered in the affirmative every year. If those cannot be answered in the affirmative every year, then those 'with the power' need to effect changes neccessary to make them happen, and I happen to believe they will. The rest of the season is going to be interesting.

Edited by LongJim

You have to get back to where you were before you can move forward.  I think replacing the coach would be a step backwards. He's done what we've asked this year. The way I see it, the two biggest gripes this season(before this week) were to make Woody the qb and to pass the ball more. Well we did that in Akron so we are making progress and I bet  MTSU won't have the same kickoff success that Akron did.

yeah, you gotta hand it to the coach. throwing the ball after being down 33-7 is genius.

I think that it's pretty normal for a dedicated fan base to really get lathered up when their team isn't doing well.  Frankly, it's the mark of a fan base that cares about it's team's success, and as UNT moves up the food chain, it will get worse!  laugh.gif

I felt like, when I saw UNT's schedule this year, that they would have difficulty with Tulsa and Akron--two conference champions who the MG had to go on the road to play.  I think there are a couple factors that the MG are struggling with, and those are things that don't get solved overnight, and are greatly magnified against a higher level of competition.  But man, this season is a long way from over, and there are a lot of young players on this football team that I feel are going to be seen and heard from a lot in the next few weeks.  But I digress...

QB play.  Like it or not, UNT is basically trotting out 2 Sophomores (Meager/Phillips), and, arguably, a RS Freshman equivalent in Wilson.  I'm not goint to rehash this, but let's just say that it is going to get better in this area, and at least there is lots of depth at this position with Tune.  I'm not sure I've ever seen this at UNT before.  The position has the potential to be awesome by the end of the year, and lights out next year.

OL play.  Attrition and inexperience.  UNT started a Freshman at center against Akron.  This position is loaded with Frosh/Sophomores, and could be scary good in a year.  Could be scary good this year down the line.  This area is going to be better, overall.  Could even be the team strong point by the end of the year.

No question that the defense, so far, is miles better than last year.  Definitely making strides there.  My take is that UNT is a very well-coached football team overall.  (I know, that's probably a shock to some.)  laugh.gif

I'm not sure what everyone's expectations were/are this year.  If this team that was 2-9 last year and didn't win an OOC game goes 2-3 OOC and wins the Belt--or even 1-4, and wins the Belt, I for one will consider it a pretty damn good turnaround.

Which doesn't speak to some of the dissatisfaction on this board with 'Devil Dickey'.  cool.gif

I think what each of the MG Nation needs to do at the end of the season is ask:

*  Are we competitive OOC?

*  Are we kicking the Sun Belt's (where, like it or not, UNT plays) collective ass?

*  Are the coaches putting the players in the best position to make plays and win games?

*  Are our recruiting efforts bearing fruit?

*  Are donations increasing? 

*  Is attendance increasing?

*  Is student attendance increasing?

*  Is the season ticket base increasing?

*  Is the MGC membership increasing?

*  Did I do my part to make these things happen? 

Those items have to be answered in the affirmative every year.  If those cannot be answered in the affirmative every year, then those 'with the power' need to effect changes neccessary to make them happen, and I happen to believe they will.  The rest of the season is going to be interesting.

Post of the year.

By the way we have something like  24 conference championships just before the SBC we never had an automatic tie in to a bowl.

I'm glad you mentioned this. The New Orleans Bowl is great, but let's face it...it doesn't rank very high on the "wish list" of bowls. Not many in the world of college football consider the NOB to be a legitimate bowl game. And I wouldn't be real surprised if a Big XII, SEC or Big 10 school declined an NOB invite, should they be invited because the SBC and/or CUSA representative fail to meet bowl eligibility requirements.