New Stance on Win

good_ken

I think I understand that this was a really big win.

However, I am tired of reading articles indicating that football on the Hilltop is over. I just heard Norm explain the finer details of this earth shattering loss for SMU.

Let's set a couple of things straight:

1. SMU was not a bowl team. The felt they had the potential to make a bowl this year. Well, potential is still all the things that you haven't done yet. And yes SMU does have a lot of things they haven't done yet.

2. To continue to focus on the devastating loss by SMU only minimizes a great UNT effort.

There, I am done.

I think I understand that this was a really big win.

However, I am tired of reading articles indicating that football on the Hilltop is over.  I just heard Norm explain the finer details of this earth shattering loss for SMU.

Let's set a couple of things straight:

1. SMU was not a bowl team.  The felt they had the potential to make a bowl this year.  Well, potential is still all the things that you haven't done yet.  And yes SMU does have a lot of things they haven't done yet.

2. To continue to focus on the devastating loss by SMU only minimizes a great UNT effort.

There, I am done.

Agree. With quotes like "worse loss ever" and "football is over" it implies a less than positive image of the opponent that just WHIPPED them. tongue.gif

BTW, while I'm VERY glad we stomped SMUt, they were a BAD team, like 2-10 bad. Tulsa and Akron will be the real tests of how we do against a QUALITY opponent. tongue.giftongue.gif

Edited by NT80

Reading the DMN article, it seemed like NT was only mentioned in the when they were having to reference the team that beat SMUt.

Since I became a fan in 95, NT has never been taken seriously outside the Sun Belt conference. I wonder if the madness that is keeping Dickey from not wanting to name Woody as the starting QB has anything to do with it?

Would be nice to see us beat Tulsa and kick the only C-USA opponents we play this year.

BTW, SMU fans have no class. When I got back to my car, my car flag was snapped off and the window pulled off its track.

Trust funds don't buy class until age 35! cool.gif

The worst thing about this win is after next year they probably won't play us again for another 14 years. This could be a great yearly event if both sides would just embrace it and realize you're going to win some and lose some. This is no longer the past and both schools can use each other to advance.

Also, I'm also sick about hearing how this was the "worst defeat" ever. They have completely taken away the effort our boys gave and the fact that this team (NT) is not as bad as the week one score versus Texas.

I believe the worst SMU defeat would be the loss to Houston when dang near 100 points was hung on them. If that's not your worse defeat then your priorities are way out of whack.

agree completely. this whole "woe is me" bullsh** coming from Highland Park is ridiculous. The last few years, North Texas has been far above SMU as a football program. We should have expected to whip their collective arses on Saturday. I am not sure why people are suprised (beside the fact that we always have low expectations in Denton). Great we beat SMU. I am happy for us but SMU ranks somwhere right around tough Sun Belt schools. We should be excited about beating them but let's not get carried away about the win either. LA Tech and Tulsa will be MUCH more of a measuring stick for us than SMU. As far as measuring our team, this COMING SATURDAY will tell us much more about our team than this PAST SATURDAY

Completely agree with the sentiment on this thread. All of the local news channels after the game made it seem like SMU "gave away" this game or "missed on key opportunities". You know how that's really translated in football...GETTING YOUR ASS KICKED...which is exactly what happend (especially in the 2nd half).

I'd also like to add that I wish that NT fans in general wouldn't trumpet this win as some pivotal/crowning achievement. We beat SMU, thats all, nothing more. Let's move on to accomplishing more of our goals for the rest of the season ie. more OOC wins, Sunbelt championship, and Bowl game/win.

I've actually had the next game on our schedule vs. Tulsa circled since last year. We really need to try and make a statement with this game. Hopefully we'll play with the same fire that we did last Saturday.

I believe the worst SMU defeat would be the loss to Houston when dang near 100 points was hung on them.

Houston LOVED running up the score on people.

I forgot how good UH was during those years (mostly because I was like 8 years old) with Ware at the helm, before everyone figured out the Run n Shoot.

1989 Houston 95, SMU 21

1988 Houston 82, Tulsa 28

1988 Houston 66, Texas 15

1989 Houston 61, Rice 0

then there was that total beat-down,

1968 Houston 100, Tulsa 7

Houston LOVED running up the score on people.

I forgot how good UH was during those years (mostly because I was like 8 years old) with Ware at the helm, before everyone figured out the Run n Shoot.

1989 Houston 95, SMU 21

1988 Houston 82, Tulsa 28

1988 Houston 66, Texas 15

1989 Houston 61, Rice 0

then there was that total beat-down,

1968 Houston 100, Tulsa 7

holy cow I didn't know about that. Texas Tech offense, eat your heart out.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

This is an especially bad loss for SMU because it killed what tiny momentum they had from the end of last season. They could make excuses about TT the week before, but no excuses now. Not only was the timing bad for SMU; they lose to a close geographic rival. It gives a jolt to our program, which is just never a good thing for SMU. I for one am really ecstatic about the win. Haven't had that feeling since the start of last season. (OK I was pretty happy when I was in Jonesboro for the basketball win this year.)

I would like to be sporting about the whole thing, but I can't help myself. Here's to SMU in 1-AA. Go stAte!

Now I think you all remember last year's Tulsa game and the fact they won their conference and the bowl. That is a higher caliber team than SMU. Here's to the Mean Green rising to the occasion again, playing like hell and getting another win.

user posted image

The stance by the DMN on this game is why so many of us get bent out of shape about the so called cospiracy against NT crap. It may not be true at all, but it seems that way some of the time. The only way to prevent it from happening is to continue to win. I remember reading Ponyfans.com back in '03 after our win over baylor and much of them and the dallas media were giving us some love. But when it happens to them, no love. Oh well, they can kiss my @ss.

As it has been posted here already, SMU was expected to do well and were expecting a shot at the post season coming into the year. NT was picked to do what this season, finish 5th in the belt? Last year smu only lost to the same Tulsa team that drilled us by only a touchdown. Then they beat a 6-6 Houston team and an 8-4 UTEP team. Not to mention preventing an 11-1 TCU team from a BCS bowl earlier in the year. Whereas, NT had one of our worst seasons in many years. The media truly missed out on a chance to tell the true great story of this weekend about how a very poor 2-9 team from '05, who had every reason to get down on itself with all the injuries and after getting pasted by texas the week before, pulled themselves up and took care of businesss against the favorite.

Like I said, they can KMA!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

The thing with the media in Dallas is that they so desperately want SMU to be good again. Alot of folks in the media here are closet SMU homers, even if they went to other schools. Better football has been played in Denton, and certainly Ft Worth, but SMU will get the headlines from the media based in Dallas.

I would not expect to have a chance to play them again though. It's too bad, but it probably won't happen again. I was talking with my dad about it Sunday (he is a SMU grad) and he was saying that he dreams of the day that SMU, TCU, Baylor, and North Texas played in a conference together. Now, that will never happen, but wouldn't it be great for everyone to rotate home and homes. For example, we could play SMU here and there in '06 and '07, play TCU in "08 and '09, Baylor in '10 and '11, and back to SMU in '12 and '13. The other schools could do the same. I think that everyone would enjoy this.