What does our future hold?

El Paso Eagle

This is not a where will he or will he not take us rant against DD or RV

Not to try and rain on the parade, but based on the comments made on several of the national shows it seems that Troy is gaining the national respect that has seemed to escape us. This only makes me wonder if the time comes in the near future (2 to 3 years) for C-USA to expand (or replace a leaving member) is Troy the leading candidate from the Sun Belt? I know some will say all we need is the new stadium, but didn’t Troy just get a new stadium also? Additionally with the success the MAC seems to be enjoying will that also play against us?

This is not a where will he or will he not take us rant against DD or RV

Not to try and rain on the parade, but based on the comments made on several of the national shows it seems that Troy is gaining the national respect that has seemed to escape us. This only makes me wonder if the time comes in the near future (2 to 3 years) for C-USA to expand (or replace a leaving member) is Troy the leading candidate from the Sun Belt? I know some will say all we need is the new stadium, but didn’t Troy just get a new stadium also? Additionally with the success the MAC seems to be enjoying will that also play against us?

Troy would be the best choice since they are central and they play the top teams close or beat them occassionally, like last night they hung in with a tough FSU team ranked #9, UNt needs to start doing the same, if not win please only lose by a TD or so, not the 40+ average we have become accustomed to.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Unless we really catch fire, I'm afraid Troy is ahead of us in the race for the next open conference slot.

Their attendance is 3-5,000 average better than us. The have a nicer stadium than we do but it is no larger. We would still need a new stadium to gain on them in that category.

They have more quality wins lately than we have. For example, they have beaten Missouri, Mississippi State, Marshall (twice), and UAB, with narrow losses to LSU and Florida State. Their worst loss in their five years of 1-A is by 41 to Minnesota.

Of course, we have a 40 year history in Division 1-A, they have a five. That doesn't seem to count for much though, because this is only South Florida's sixth year and they are already in a BCS conference.

We would hold a significant margin on other intangibles however, such as market size, population, transportation availability, etc. which might pull us to near even. We need to keep improving our attendance and OOC wins.

Interesting post, but nothing else matters unless we start winning OOC games... period! If not, Troy is a shoe in. We have something special in Woody, which could change everything...he is the missing piece of puzzle... assuming he remains injury free. Kudos to DD & Co for the QB find. I still can’t believe no one picked him up after Arkansas lost interest.

Interesting post, but nothing else matters unless we start winning OOC games... period! If not, Troy is a shoe in. We have something special in Woody, which could change everything...he is the missing piece of puzzle... assuming he remains injury free. Kudos to DD & Co for the QB find. I still can’t believe no one picked him up after Arkansas lost interest.

As anyone sitting near me on Saturday heard- I love Woody. But maybe we should slow down the groundbreaking on his pedestal. I half expect to log on to the board and see the photoshoppers move on from Uncle Sam to Jesus.

I'm very excited, too... but let the guy get his second win before we start pinning our CUSA hopes on him.

Guest GrayEagleOne

North Texas has something Troy doesn't. Location, Location, Location and that equals Media Market.

True, but what should work for us could actually work against us. As long as CUSA hangs on to the eastern schools....East Carolina, Marshall, Central Florida and UAB, Troy could help those members reduce their travel costs. They could command an audience in three markets...Mobile-Pensacola, Montgomery and Dothan. The combined size of those markets would be roughly equivalent to that of Cincinnati.

Besides that, who will champion our cause? Southern Miss? I don't know that RV has that much pull now. SMU? Ha! Houston? Rice? Tulsa? Memphis? Even though we've previously been in a conference with Houston, Tulsa and Memphis, I can't see any of them campaigning for us. UTEP might vote for us, simply because we are closer to them than any other candidate but really trying to get us in? Doubtful.

I think that UAB would push hard for Troy. They would like to have an in-state rival in the same conference. No doubt the three east of there would also vote for Troy.

On the other hand, two or even all three could go to the Big East, especially if they are dropped as a BCS conference. It's possible Memphis could join them because Memphis enjoys being in the same conference with Louisville and Cincinnati (three basketball powerhouses).

If the last scenario happened, then I think that we would be in the lead, especially with a new stadium. Then, it would be whether CUSA wanted to stay at 12 teams or drop to nine.

Don't underestimate the effect of being a travel partner only 30 miles from SMU, near DFW airport. Doesn't matter in football, but it sure will in every other sport. And in those other sports, facilities either already are or will shortly become a strength. All that's left is Stadium plus baseball.