Is SMU a make/break game for NT program and Dickey

NT80

Not to add any more pressure but... this is a real test for the program's and school's reputation within the Metroplex. It could impact future recruiting and certainly future attandance at NT games this season and beyond, as well as donations to future facility campaigns. Much more at stake than a simple OOC win or loss! ( I hope all concerned realize this importance too!!)... ohmy.gif

After 9 years of DD's play calling I am ready for a change regardless. DD can't change his spots and he is who is. He has proven he can't take us to the next level period, he can flirt with it but that is it.

RF should have been fired last year how embarrassing it was to UNT that the administration took no action.

Kind of a tough situation for Dickey. If we win it's not that big a deal because we should beat SMU. If we lose though, there's going to be a lot of angry fans calling for something new.

His best bet is to win in a blow out. Even a close loss won't go very far after last year.

Personally, I'm hoping for the blow out, but I have very little confidence in anything but J-Mo and Quinn.

By the way, I heard Quinn really broke his hand stopping a run away freight train from hitting a little girl who had wandered onto the tracks. He's greatness!

In the larger picture, it is just one game. But this should be a win and I think a loss here does not bode well for the rest of the season.

On the local front, this is a big game. Losing to SMU would essentially put us at #3 in local recruiting behind TCU and SMU.

We are a large school - it is past time to start acting like one.

Beating SMU doesn't prove you worthy of anything, and it certainly wont help your reputation. Losing to SMU won't make you look worse. That's pretty hard.

ha, thats actually pretty funny.

I don't think beating SMU will have as profound an impact on the program as losing. Losing proves we are right there with Rice at the bottom of Div 1A programs in Texas- and I'm not all that confident we could beat Rice. U of H had a hell of a time last weekend. Losing this weekend says "nothing's changed".

Kind of a tough situation for Dickey.  If we win it's not that big a deal because we should beat SMU.  If we lose though, there's going to be a lot of angry fans calling for something new. 

Wow. I think people are under estimating SMU.

They finished last year on a 4-1 streak, the lone loss being a 7 point defeat at Tulsa, a team that beat us by 52.

Here are the bowl teams they beat last year:

TCU

Houston

UTEP

Can you honestly say you wouldn't kill for any one of those wins?

After 9 years of DD's play calling I am ready for a change regardless. DD can't change his spots and he is who is. He has proven he can't take us to the next level period, he can flirt with it but that is it.

RF should have been fired last year how embarrassing it was to UNT that the administration took no action.

I have to disagree with you about Darrell Dickey. Four straight winning seasons and bowl games, plus the trips to New Orleans work for me. (I know, we were 5-6 the first year, but we still shared the title) We simply didnt have that before DD got here. Now in reference to RF.. I couldnt agree more. The man is made of Kevlar, or some other bullet proof material. I am a firm believer in backing the coaches you have, regardless... and I am trying to do that with Flanny. He wears our colors, so he gets my loyalty. HOWEVER, dont mistake loyalty for blind faith. I thought he should have been canned last year, and was shocked when he survived the incident with Bill in the stands? I honestly hope he is on a very short leash for this year.

Here's to Saturday and a new rivaly with SMU.

GMG!!!

Guest GrayEagleOne

Losing to programs given the death penalty for cheating would be the worst.  Oh wait, that's right, there are no other football programs EVER given the death penalty, only SMUt.  laugh.gif

I'm usually with you nine out of ten times but answer this: How many players, coaches, students or administrators had one freaking thing to do with that death penalty? Even their head trainer, who is a friend of mine, is no longer there. If they do it again there won't be a football program at SMU.

Wow.  I think people are under estimating SMU.

They finished last year on a 4-1 streak, the lone loss being a 7 point defeat at Tulsa, a team that beat us by 52.

TCU

Houston

UTEP

True that SMU had some quality wins last year and finished strong...but they are now operating with a freshman quarterback (and we saw how well a similar situation with NT worked out last year) so I fully expect us to come out excited, play a solid game and get a win over an improved SMU team.

Not saying this game will be a cakewalk by the way. I think this will be a tough game for both teams.

Wow.  I think people are under estimating SMU.

TCU

Houston

UTEP

Oh wow. Logic on GMG.com? Stop it! They won't like you!

I'm usually with you nine out of ten times but answer this:  How many players, coaches, students or administrators had one freaking thing to do with that death penalty?  Even their head trainer, who is a friend of mine, is no longer there.  If they do it again there won't be a football program at SMU.

We run the cleanest program in the NCAA. Plain. And. Simple. I. Am. A. Moron.

Explain the violations with the Basketball team then.  Or are you just talking about football.

I was just talking about football, I don't know as much about bball. But -- the secondary violations concerning Doh, or the supposed violations concerning the Tubbs firings?

Secondary involving Doh: Watching his team practice during the no-no period for "practices". Secondary violations are jokes, and the punishment involves a letter from the NCAA. Pure bureaucracy.

Tubbs fiasco: No one knows yet. SMU hasn't released any official statements, but refers to the "NCAA violations committed under Tubbs" when asked about the firing. Something about burgers and laundry detergent.

Cleanest program in the NCAA.

You must've gone to NTSU, you don't use proper punctuation.

PS: I love animals... not in a good way.

I was just talking about football, I don't know as much about bball.

It's evident that you don't know much about anything except doing Laundry (the only thing a degree from smu is worth). You say the program is the cleanest in the nation. That Janitorial Services Masters program is really paying dividends.

I have to disagree with you about Darrell Dickey. Four straight winning seasons and bowl games, plus the trips to New Orleans work for me. (I know, we were 5-6 the first year, but we still shared the title) We simply didnt have that before DD got here. Now in reference to RF.. I couldnt agree more. The man is made of Kevlar, or some other bullet proof material. I am a firm believer in backing the coaches you have, regardless... and I am trying to do that with Flanny. He wears our colors, so he gets my loyalty. HOWEVER, dont mistake loyalty for blind faith. I thought he should have been canned last year, and was shocked when he survived the incident with Bill in the stands? I honestly hope he is on a very short leash for this year.

Here's to Saturday and a new rivaly with SMU.

GMG!!!

I like how you think.

I feel where we disagree is on how great DD is or how much credit he deserves. Now he has only had three winning seasons to date. A winning season almost guarantees you a Belt championship these days which in-turn means a bowl birth. At UNT we have had 47 winning seasons with 8 or more games played. 42 of those in D1 which would mean a possible 42 bowl appearances. A better gauge may be conference championships which we have 22 in D1 plus 4 outstanding seasons while we were independent. That would suggest we would have been to 26 bowl games.

The fact that DD has been in the best situation of any other UNT coach football in history is simple and in my opinion he has done the least with the potential at hand.

He has the worst record of any coach in UNT history with four or more years with the team. We are still ranked on the bottom, nine years later I expected the team to never drop below 80 in the rankings again, but here we are bottom of the pile still.

Edited by KingDL1

I like how you think.

I feel where we disagree is on how great DD is or how much credit he deserves. Now he has only had three winning seasons to date. A winning season almost guarantees you a Belt championship these days which in-turn means a bowl birth. At UNT we have had 47 winning seasons with 8 or more games played. 42 of those in D1 which would mean a possible 42 bowl appearances. A better gauge may be conference championships which we have 22 in D1 plus 4 outstanding seasons while we were independent. That would suggest we would have been to 26 bowl games.

The fact that DD has been in the best situation of any other UNT coach football in history is simple and in my opinion done the least with the potental at hand.

He has the worst record of any coach in UNT history with four or more years with the team. We are still ranked on the bottom, nine years later I expected the team to never drop below 80 in the rankings again, but here we are bottom of the pile still.

Good point on the DD situation. Numerous winning coaches at NT would have done back flips to have had the facilities, players, salary, and benefits that he feels obligated to bemoan every time he opens his mouth. Saturday is showtime--DD is not outclassed and there should be no whinning--either get out there and WIN the biggest game on the schedule or look for the door ' cause if you don't the fans will have already found it for this year. This is not the only game of the 2006 season--JUST THE BIGGEST FOR THIS OR ANY OTHER YEAR TO COME TO FOUTS!!! WIN IT---KICK THE PONIES REARS!!!!

IMO, A close loss would hurt Dickey's chances of keeping his job.  A blowout loss and he gets fired/resignes the next day.

ha, he is not going to get fired in the middle of the season. he probably wont get fired at the end of the season. who are you going to hire? how will you pay them? According to CFO magazine, our Athletic Department lost 3.1 mill last year, which is good for 4th in the country. I imagine much of that is from all the development, but still...

Edited by Eagle1855