Patrick Cobbs, #40, makes Steelers final roster

NT80

Aha!  See my previous Super Bowl post don't sound so crazy.  Cobbs was, I believe, #4 in preseason rushing.  If Duce continues his pathetic 2.2 average, Cobbs could become the starter.

I doubt Cobbs will pass Willie Parker, but I wouldn't be suprised to see him pass Staley and Morency to be #2 on the depth chart once Cower feels he has learned the offense.

What kind of moola will Cobbs make now?

I posted this before and I have no idea what kind of a deal Patrick will or has made but here are the minimums.

New minimum salary scale

Exp. Minimum salary

R..........$225,000

1..........$300,000

2..........$375,000

3..........$450,000

4-6.....*$525,000

7-9.....*$650,000

10+....*$750,000

*All minimum salaries beyond four years of experience will only count $450,000 against teams' salary caps.

With Big Ben having emergency surgery to remove his appendix this weekend, I expect to see a lot of running out of Pittsburgh this Thursday.... Maybe Cobbs will get some action. They only have one backup QB (Charlie Batch) - the next one on the list is a WR and is for emergency situations only.

New running back: The Steelers traded a conditional draft pick Saturday for Patrick Cobbs, who was New England’s leading rusher this preseason. Cobbs is a 5-foot-8, 210-pounder who times in the 4.6 to 4.7 range but who is said to play faster. Cobbs led the nation in rushing as a sophomore at North Texas, the school that produced “Mean” Joe Greene.

“Yeah, Joe Greene talked to me a couple times,” Cobbs said. “I thought a couple teams showed interest in me, but, unfortunately, on draft day I was sitting at the house and even after draft day I was sitting at the house and I was getting ready to head to Montreal when I got a phone call from New England and they gave me a shot and it landed me here.”

The Tribune-Democrat

Cobbs is listed as 5-foot-10 and 210 pounds, but now weighs 217 pounds according to a Steeler scout. He led the nation in rushing in 2003 as a junior (152.7 yards per game), sat out '04 with a knee injury and rushed for over 1,000 yards again last year.

"I didn't even know about him coming out of North Texas," Cowher said. "I never looked at him. Our scouts have. I first saw him that one TV preseason game when New England was playing against Atlanta.

"He's on the smaller side. He probably won't time fast, but he plays fast. He's got very good balance ... good vision ... excellent hands. He's been impressive. He's a kid who had a very good preseason."

"It's important that you have quality backs," Cowher added. "We thought Patrick Cobbs is a quality guy. He's also young. He can help in the kicking game. Those are the reasons for that acquisition."

Cobbs, 23, led the Patriots with 188 rushing yards and three TDs in the preseason and averaged a hefty 4.9 yards per carry.

Duce escapes the noose

Edited by KingDL1

New minimum salary scale

Exp. Minimum salary

R..........$225,000

1..........$300,000

2..........$375,000

3..........$450,000

4-6.....*$525,000

7-9.....*$650,000

10+....*$750,000

*All minimum salaries beyond four years of experience will only count $450,000 against teams' salary caps

Not to reveal PC's salary, but these numbers are outdated. As part of the tv package and negoitations last year the minimum wage went up $40,000 across the board.

I searched again and came up with this!

New minimum salary scale

Exp. Minimum salary

R..........$260,000

1..........$305,000

2..........$380,000

3..........$455,000

4-6.....*$540,000

7-9.....*$665,000

10+....*$765,000

*All minimum salaries beyond four years of experience will only count $450,000 against teams' salary caps.

"I didn't even know about him coming out of North Texas," Cowher said. "I never looked at him. Our scouts have. I first saw him that one TV preseason game when New England was playing against Atlanta.

It may just be preaseason and it may just be against the 3rd and 4th stringers but a good coach can always spot talent. Just goes to show you there is always someone watching no matter the game or the stakes.

"As it relates to the roles they will have on game day, I really haven't concluded what they will be at this point. The one and two positions are certainly Willie Parker and Verron Haynes. We'll see where we are with Patrick and Duce as it relates to the make-up of the game-day roster.

Maybe we see Cobbs as a third down back??? Cowher goes on to say that all 4 backs will see time throughout the season

Well that NFL.COM depth chart has to be wrong because I know that Duce has been relegated to third on the DC.  Verron Haynes is the backup to Willie Parker.  That would make PC 4th, but Duce doesn't do special teams and Cowher said Duce might not suit up for every game.  I think PC makes his mark on special teams.

Cower wouldn't trade a draft pick away for a ST player. You will see Staley cut before its all said and done with Parker #1 Cobbs #2 (probably 3rd down and special situations back) and Haynes #3 probably a goal line back.