The case for Woody Wilson...

Nt4Life!

SBC members will be weak against the run for 06 and Wilson would give us that extra dimension for the rush attack. I hear he is as good throwing as the others so having that extra dimension could prove very useful.

For example Laf. Q.B Bab tore it up with his feet last year and will continue to do so this year. No one really had a answer for his running ability last year averaging 6.2 ypc and 50 yards per game. Also Wilson having the scramble ability will up the offensive line and yes I have heard the comments about the more prone to holding calls. Bottom line a moblie Q.B. is good for the O-line.

I am not saying abandon the pass game at all (we have the receivers), but it is just nice feature to have for a Q.B.

SBC members will be weak against the run for 06 and Wilson would give us that extra dimension for the rush attack.  I hear he is as good throwing as the others so having that extra dimension could prove very useful.

For example Laf. Q.B Bab tore it up with his feet last year and will continue to do so this year.  No one really had a answer for his running ability last year averaging 6.2 ypc and 50 yards per game. Also Wilson having the scramble ability will up the offensive line and yes I have heard the comments about the more prone to holding calls.  Bottom line a moblie Q.B. is good for the O-line.

I am not saying abandon the pass game at all (we have the receivers), but it is just nice feature to have for a Q.B.

That sounds like Jerry Jones trying to rationalize drafting Quincy Carter.

That sounds like Jerry Jones trying to rationalize drafting Quincy Carter.

biggrin.giflaugh.giftongue.gifbiggrin.giflaugh.gif

For example Laf. Q.B Bab tore it up with his feet last year and will continue to do so this year.  No one really had a answer for his running ability last year averaging 6.2 ypc and 50 yards per game.

That is because ULL installed the read option. That is nothing compared to our offense. By the way, isn't it freakin crazy how quickly ULL was able to make that transition and be so successful with it? Bustle deserves a lot of credit for that paradigm change enroute to a conference championship.

Rick

Last years rushing defense stats:

Laf. 180.5 ypg

North Texas 220 ypg

La Monroe 190 ypg

Arkasas St. 187 ypg

Florida Atlantic 218

Florida Int. 164

Troy 143

Middle Tenn. 135

For Illuvius:

I don't see a whole lot changing from last year, being that most SBC teams will be weak against the run for 06. Troy and Middle Tenn. again should be the strongest defenses in SBC play and strongest against the run for 06.

I do hope our defense turns around... only time will tell.

Edited by Nt4Life!

Laf. 180.5 ypg

North Texas 220 ypg

La Monroe 190 ypg

Arkasas St. 187 ypg

Florida Atlantic 218

Florida Int. 164

Troy 143

Middle Tenn. 135

For Illuvius:

I don't see a whole lot changing from last year, being that most SBC teams will be weak against the run for 06.  Troy and Middle Tenn. again should be the strongest defenses in SBC play and strongest against the run for 06.

Middle Tennessee lost some good players on defense though, so they may not be as good as last year.

I know that Dickey and asleep at the wheel would favor Meager at this point...

I know that many of you would favor Matt Phillips...

Why not Woody though? The answer to this question should be something much more substantive than "he runs into the middle of the defense" because if that's his only drawback then we have backups waiting in the wings. It's been said by several that his throwing looks no worse than the other two and it's admitted by all that his speed and athleticism put them to shame...so, again, why not Woody?

I want the guy who is going to win. I don’t know which one that is as I haven’t been at all of the practices and in the team meetings.

A friend who used to manage the Cowboys TV network told me he was always amazed at fans claiming this or that quarterback was “clearly the best” when they had never been to a practice and certainly never been in a team meeting. He pointed out the (Cowboy) coaches often were not certain and they HAD been in all of the meetings and at all of the practices.

I am with videoeagle. Unless we are at practice and see how their command othe the program, accepatance of leadership by their teammates, and effort and productivity in practiced we need to let those who's jobs depend on them make the determination.

Selecting a player to start should never become a popularity issue. That can only lead to disharmony and failure.

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom."

-- General George S. Patton

Guest GrayEagleOne

Since I don't know who is going to win, I'll just take the player who can best move the chains in practice.

Another quality that I look for is leadership; the ability to make the TEAM better. Right now and from what I've seen, Phillips has exhibited those traits the most. But, if we have a new offense then I don't know how well his other skills will fit in. He has the stronger arm and has exhibited the best decision-making ability. Will that transfer to a new offense? I don't know.

Wilson is definitely the better athlete. I still have concerns that he turns it up the field too quickly and will eventually pay the price. Apparently, it happened at Coffeyville since he only has eight games under his belt and wasn't able to finish the season.

While I don't believe in quarterbacking by committee, all three bring something to the table and I wouldn't mind seeing another, especially Wilson, inserted in the lineup to try to change their defense.

While I don't believe in quarterbacking by committee, all three bring something to the table and I wouldn't mind seeing another, especially Wilson, inserted in the lineup to try to change their defense.

I like that idea but think it would be best served by utilizing the uncertainty of which QB might start each given week as a psychological strategy against our opponents.

It will drive the fans crazy but, if an opponent's defense has to prepare for two very different QB styles in Phillips and Wilson (Meager has similar abilities to both IMO), they might not be as prepared as they would be if a single starter is announced.

Of course, for this strategy to have any chance of working, both QBs will need to be effective early on in the season and receive enough PT for opposing coaches to actually believe that the starter is undecided.

If we have a repeat of last season's QB performance (most of it anyway), opponents will not care who's behind center as they'll spend every practice working on how to stop our 1st and 2nd down off tackle runs and that ever-so-tricky third down draw.

I'm interested in hearing how his leadership skills are looking....how is he with the players? Is he more like Phillips or Meager? From what I've seen of him (only the Spring game--where the sides were not even close to being even) he looked ok, but wasn't making great decisions with the ball (that could have been caused by being new to the system and also that he was running from Ike Thomas all night). Has that improved?

Laf. 180.5 ypg

North Texas 220 ypg

La Monroe 190 ypg

Arkasas St. 187 ypg

Florida Atlantic 218

Florida Int. 164

Troy 143

Middle Tenn. 135

For Illuvius:

I don't see a whole lot changing from last year, being that most SBC teams will be weak against the run for 06.  Troy and Middle Tenn. again should be the strongest defenses in SBC play and strongest against the run for 06.

220 yds per game, man thats pathetic, we need to pick it up on defense, im really concerned that our offense will be better but defense will still lag behind.

What e-bone said. Our defense WAS soft last year but a significant reason was the offense was habitually going 3 and out. Look at my sentiment at the bottom of this post. That has not been changed since the dismal days of last fall and I will not change it until we find a way to keep the offense on the field and driving the football. I will echo what others have already said ...we have three good young men, I will be behind the one who can move the @%$#^&* chains!