Kragthorpe

DeepGreen

My best recollection is that he was offered the North Texas job when he was offensive coordinator at Texas A&M but turned it down. The phrase "offered the job" may be a little too strong but he made it clear that he felt like he had a better job as offensive coordinator for the Aggies than he would have as head coach for the Mean Green. He might have been right.....

From Football Scoop:

"Tulsa's head coach Steve Kragthorpe gets a 6 year extension through 2011".

I have always thought and still believe that this is where UNT missed the coaching train.

I know that he used to be an assistant with us. But at what point during our past coaching changes would he have been a candidate for Head Coach? AND did someone, at some time, advise the decision makers to hire him?

More to the point, did Kragthorpe ever apply for a head coaching job here?

From Football Scoop:

"Tulsa's head coach Steve Kragthorpe gets a 6 year extension through 2011".

I have always thought and still believe that this is where UNT missed the coaching train.

So you're saying that, 10 or 15 years ago when he left here, you said we should have made him the head coach because you knew how successful he'd be down the road? I find that hard to believe. Wasn't he just a QB coach?

During the '01 seashon when EVERYONE here was speculating a coaching change Scotty and StandUp both had him at the top of their list as the guy we should go after. They both felt that he was the next up and comer talent in coaching profession. Prior to that missed opportunity, I remain on my stance that North Texas missed a huge luxury liner boat in offending Navy's Paul Johnson by passing him up for a ZERO!, NOTHING!, NADA!, ABSOLUTE NOT A SECOND OF COLLEGE COACHING EXPERIENCE TO HIS NAME!.....Dennis Parker.

The Corridor of Years should be changed to YEARS OF ITCHY CORDEROID WORTH OF DECISIONS!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

"Following his four-year stint at NAU, Kragthorpe became the offensive coordinator at North Texas in 1994, spending two years with the Mean Green. At North Texas, he coordinated an offense that led the conference in total offense. While there, he coached quarterback Mitch Maher who broke single-season school records for passing yards and total offense."

Before Dickey was hired I believe Kragthorpe was asked if he would apply for the opening. He was at A&M then as an assistant and declined. Thus, ..oh, never mind, you know the rest.... dry.gif