Publicity Stunts

Stan R

The one thing that I think stirs up all fans of conferences are hated rivalries... Why does A&M hate TT? Because the tried to shove the goalposts into their section for one thing. Why does ag hate UT? Well, that's more envy than anything else. But do you see my point? We are all so cordial to one another in the sun belt. If we just golf clap our respective conference members when they walk into the stadium, there is in my mind no real incenctive to care about beating that team. I love the rivalry we've set up with MTSU but other than them, do we really care?

I think some of these will take time and we took a big hit when losing NMSU. I really loved that game and looked forward to it every year. Who takes that place? Troy? Maybe. And I'm not advocating we turn into LSU. But come on guys, sometimes I think we need to read the book, Rivalry for dummies. What can we do to spice things up?

i think geography has a lot to do with it. what major rivalries are there that have no geographic proximity. the only one i could really think of is USC v. ND. With a relative inability of students to travel to many of the away games, it makes it hard to heckle opposing parents.

i think geography has a lot to do with it.  what major rivalries are there that have no geographic proximity.  the only one i could really think of is USC v. ND.  With a relative inability of students to travel to many of the away games, it makes it hard to heckle opposing parents.

I think this is correct. Want to increase attendance and overall visibility of the SMU game? Go paint one of their statues green.

I can remember when the basketball Pit Crew went and stole a simple butcher paper sign from TCU. Some Frog fans really got in a tizzy about it..........over Butcher Paper!! Simple mischief can bring about a rivalry.

I think this is correct.  Want to increase attendance and overall visibility of the SMU game?  Go paint one of their statues green. 

I can remember when the basketball Pit Crew went and stole a simple butcher paper sign from TCU.  Some Frog fans really got in a tizzy about it..........over Butcher Paper!!  Simple mischief can bring about a rivalry.

Why don't we paint all the portal entrances to Gerald Ford Stadium green? Or, hey, look to be sure the playing field at Ford is green!

I hate SMU! They are moronic jerks who drive around in fancy cars and SUVs and think they're better than anybody else! When we get through with them, they'll realize why they haven't been willing to play us for 13 years! Let's bomb 'em!!!!

because we are educated and actually attended the college for which we are rooting

That's not the point, and I'd say a majority of the fans are actually alums. There may be a percentage that are not, but I'd guess that is a small percentage. I'm not talking about those who try to tip over busses and throw batteries at small children. rolleyes.gif I'm talking about those who come out in RVs and make a day of it.

That's not the point, and I'd say a majority of the fans are actually alums.  There may be a percentage that are not, but I'd guess that is a small percentage.  I'm not talking about those who try to tip over busses and throw batteries at small children.  rolleyes.gif I'm talking about those who come out in RVs and make a day of it.

I know that for OU, Alabama, Auburn and LSU, the majority who attend games - over 60% - are NOT alums of the various schools.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Why don't we  paint all the portal entrances to Gerald Ford Stadium green? Or, hey, look to be sure the playing field at Ford is green!

I hate SMU! They are moronic jerks who drive around in fancy cars and SUVs and think they're better than anybody else! When we get through with them, they'll realize why they haven't been willing to play us for 13 years! Let's bomb 'em!!!!

Rick, I've got to become friends with a better class of SMU graduates! Most of them I know are pretty level-headed Christian people. They aren't snooty, stuckup jerks but then they've been out for years. Now, I'll admit that not all of their sons and daughters also went to SMU; many of them even went to state schools.

All of them are no more moronic jerks than all of those that attend North Texas are music majors but we have that reputation with some. However, I have been extremely disappointed that they haven't helped us at any time. Then again, all we do is badmouth them so I shouldn't be surprised.

Just because I don't hate SMU (or really anyone) doesn't mean that I don't want to beat the crap of them in September. This game could be more vital to the immediate future of North Texas athletics than any that I can recall in the last sixty years. What scares me most is that Dickey and Bennett are such good friends that we won't pull out all of the stops to make a statement about this game.

Most of my A&M friends that go to school there could care less about Texas Tech. Texas Tech cares more about the "rivalry" against A&M than A&M ever will. In fact some of them think it's stupid that Tech has such hatred for them.

---One of the reason they (Tech) hates them is pretty much why we hate SMU. The Aggies have made some very uncomplementary remarks about them in the past and rather often. A few summers ago I taught a summer community college (Midland) class in which most students were either Aggies or Raiders. When the summer athletic press guide came out it refered to Tech as that college in the middle of a dirt field or something similiar to it. There was even more to it that that calling them classless etc. It was well publicized even in the DMN and locally. The Aggies students in class got an earfull of complaints from the Raider students and most Aggie kept quiet except one for little Aggie girl who kept running her mouth off. The rest kept shut, in fact some of the Aggie guys kept trying to get her to shut up......LOL

Another reason is Tech has a fine Agriculture school and has done a lot research and improvements especially in cotton....(lots of cotton in West Texas) The problem is the public thinks "Aggies" when talking about Agg schools even though TTU has done a lot in that field. They resent A&M getting credit for what Tech does. There are several other reasons as well.

In the case of Notre Dame and Southern Cal... they also happen to be the two largest Catholic Schools unless Boston College sneaks in as one of them. Because earlier one was the winningest West Coast team and the other the winning East Coast team, they came to represent each region

_________

Re North Texas and SMU---We older grads haven't forgotten all the insults by their administration and others that have appeared in newspaper and TV over the years. They almost singlehandedly kept us out of the SWC even though Un. of Texas and Un Arkansas (Royal and Broyles) wanted us admitted as member #10.

True, not every SMU grad is a stuck up snob but enough are to "paint" the entire group as arrogant SOBs. It may be changing now that they aren't SWC members anymore but a lot of us remember what they once were....and still may be. They were so bad that they thought the NCAA rules really did not apply to them so they now have "the Honor" of being the only college to receive the death penalty.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I'll never forget those two hags from MTSU who showed up at the '01 New Orleans Bowl game down on the front row towards the endzone, standing up and yelling and holding up signs in protest that we were playing instead of them. Every sign they had was directed at ESPN and said something derogatory towards NT. Poor taste. I think Emmitt and Zeke booed them out of the dome towards the end.

Rick

I'll never forget those two hags from MTSU who showed up at the '01 New Orleans Bowl game down on the front row towards the endzone, standing up and yelling and holding up signs in protest that we were playing instead of them.  Every sign they had was directed at ESPN and said something derogatory towards NT.  Poor taste.  I think Emmitt and Zeke booed them out of the dome towards the end.

Rick

We went down to have a word with these ladies in the endzone.............I use the word ladies very lightly. We mouthed.........they mouthed back. Conversation went like this:

"We shoulda been playing tonight"

"Did you beat us? Guess you shoulda won when it mattered"

Later that week there was a newspaper article released (from the student newspaper I think), that was written by these same girls. The article said really odd things like that there were more MTSU fans on Bourbon St. than North Texas fans. (Yes, they were delusional) I saw 3 MTSU fans on that trip.........those same buck-toothed girls that wrote the article.

Have some fun start near to home, fly a huge banner over the first SMU Football game in Tech saying something on the line of "SMU WHO, UNT Mean Green is the Pony glue factory" and I am sure that better could be thought of. Then fly it over both home campuses during the week, I think it would get both sides spirit pumping at least guaranteeing a sellout. It would definitely stir-up some media attention.

Maybe showings a Pony getting shoved into a glue machine.

Oh crap forgot about PETA.

Maybe instead "SMU WHO, We are going to Mean Green your Asses!"

And "Go North Texas!!!" underneath.

Showing a donkey with the big ears getting drove in to the ground by UNT.

Edited by KingDL1

Have some fun start near to home, fly a huge banner over the first SMU Football game in Tech saying something on the line of "SMU WHO, UNT Mean Green is the Pony glue factory" and I am sure that better could be thought of. Then fly it over both home campuses during the week, I think it it would get both sides spirit pumping at least guaranteeing a sellout.  It would definitely stir-up some media attention.

Maybe showings a Pony getting shoved into a glue machine.

Oh crap forgot about PETA.

We can make signs about shoving PETA into a glue machine as well!

The one thing that I think stirs up all fans of conferences are hated rivalries... Why does A&M hate TT? Because the tried to shove the goalposts into their section for one thing.  Why does ag hate UT? Well, that's more envy than anything else.  But do you see my point? We are all so cordial to one another in the sun belt.  If we just golf clap our respective conference members when they walk into the stadium, there is in my mind no real incenctive to care about beating that team.  I love the rivalry we've set up with MTSU but other than them, do we really care?

Well, from my perspective, how about an Arkansas State team that whipped the MG's ace, took home the trophy from the school that had won the SBC during every year of it's existence, and did it in your face on your home field?

Want to know why there are so few rivalries in the Belt? Look at the number of games played.

UNT has played ULM 22 times and ASU 15 times. UNT hasn't met any other team 10 or more times. The seven consecutive meetings with ASU is the longest streak UNT has with any Belt school.

Here's the UNT portion of the rivalry breakdown I did on Beltboard. http://www.beltboard.com/?p=124

ASU vs. UNT. UNT leads 7-8, seven consecutive meetings. Notable. Teams were conference mates in Southland and Big West. ASU is 3-4 in Denton, while UNT is 3-4 in Jonesboro, difference in the series is a UNT win in Little Rock. Winner of the game has been Sun Belt champion or co-champion the last five years and three times the winner ended up being Southland champion, that’s 8 league titles between the two in 15 meetings.

FAU vs. UNT. FAU leads 2-0, two consecutive games. Notable. Only Sun Belt school UNT has never defeated.

FIU vs. UNT. UNT leads 1-0, one consecutive meeting. Notable. FIU suffered 8 turnovers in only meeting.

ULL vs. UNT. UNT leads 3-7, six consecutive meetings. Cajuns are 2-4 in Denton, and 1-3 in Lafayette.

ULM vs. UNT. Series tied 11-11, five consecutive meetings. Notable. ULM and UNT met twice in 1987, in regular season and in the I-AA playoffs. ULM won both games on the way to a I-AA National Championship. ULM’s win over UNT in 2001 was the 6th straight win by ULM in the series and the last time UNT would lose a league game until October 4, 2005.

MTSU vs. UNT. UNT leads series 5-0, five consecutive meetings. Notable. UNT is 3-0 in Murfreesboro. Three of the five games have been determined by 7 points or less.

UNT vs. Troy. Troy leads series 2-1, one consecutive meeting. Notable. Troy won first meeting clinching a losing season for bowl bound North Texas. Troy win in 2005 snapped UNT’s conference win streak dating back to the 2001 season.

Thanks Arkstfan. Who knew I would get facts and statisics from an attorney? rolleyes.gif I don't care about win-loss records or who won this game or that. I want to know if they beat us down by 50 points, or if they had 10 unsportsmanlike penalties and groped one of our cheerleaders or maybe they took a dump in our visitor locker room. I'd also like to know if they've beat us 4 years in a row. Granted some of those types of scenarios take several years to develop and the belt is realtively young.

Bottom line is we don't like MTSU because they were bragging how they were better than us even after we beat them year after year. And other teams dislike NT because we do ridiculous grenade celebrations and are known to play "dirty", a title we may or may not deserve. This is all about perception, entertainment, rivalries. cool.gif

Honestly I was suprised to learn that UNT had so little history with anyone other than ASU and ULM.

I was also suprised to find that in 15 meetings the winner of UNT-ASU has won the conference 8 times. Also didn't know about ULM beating you twice in a season. Those guys have pissed in your breakfast several times now. You've played Troy three times and they've given you two notable losses.

Odd that ULL has won more times in Denton than at Cajun Field.

MTSU is a funny case. As much as they flap their lips about you guys I didn't realize they had never beaten you.

That's why it hurt a bit to lose New Mexico St as we have a fairly long and successful history with them. They don't like the Mean Green because our record against the Aggies is 22-9-2.

Also, another reason why so many here support the idea of TxSt going 1-A and eventually getting into the Belt for the future is because of our long history with them and the fact that they have alway's traveled to Denton well. It makes too much sense to not continue this rivalry, especially for the fact that they really don't like us because we own them with a record of 28-6-3.

Rick

That's why it hurt a bit to lose New Mexico St as we have a fairly long and successful history with them.  They don't like the Mean Green because our record against the Aggies is 22-9-2.

Also, another reason why so many here support the idea of TxSt going 1-A and eventually getting into the Belt for the future is because of our long history with them and the fact that they have alway's traveled to Denton well.  It makes too much sense to not continue this rivalry, especially for the fact that they really don't like us because we own them with a record of 28-6-3.

Rick

And we'd been in three conference with the Aggies ( Missouri Valley, Big West & Sun Belt).