Rick Gosselin's Article about Patrick Cobb

NorthTexan95

UNT's Cobbs off draft radar, for now

Door may not be closed for UNT RB and others not invited to combine

08:45 PM CST on Friday, February 24, 2006

By RICK GOSSELIN / The Dallas Morning News

INDIANAPOLIS – The NCAA rushing champion is attending the NFL Scouting Combine this weekend. Not every rushing champ, though.

DeAngelo Williams of Memphis is here – but Patrick Cobbs of North Texas is not.

Williams led the NCAA in rushing touchdowns with 24 in 2004, then led the NCAA in rushing yards with 1,964 in 2005. He's considered one of the three elite running backs at the top of the 2006 NFL draft board.

Cobbs led the NCAA in rushing in 2003 with 1,680 yards, then suffered a season-ending knee injury in the second game of 2004. He returned in 2005 and won his second Sun Belt Conference rushing title, gaining 1,134 yards.

But Cobbs was not one of the 330 draft-eligible players invited to the combine this week. Only about 250 players are drafted every year, so the snub indicates the NFL does not consider Cobbs a draftable prospect.

But much changes between February and April. There has been a noncombine invitee taken in the second round in each of the last four drafts. Last April, the Philadelphia Eagles chose San Diego State linebacker Matt McCoy 63rd overall.

Cobbs has size working against him. He's only 5-8, 201 pounds. But Williams is no giant, either. He goes 5-8 ½, 213 pounds. Cobbs is coming off that serious 2004 injury. So is Williams, who suffered a broken leg in the 2004 Motor City Bowl.

Cobbs said he was surprised by the slight – "because people told me I was going to get invited."

"But I guess I can't say I was surprised, because I've been underrated my whole career," he concluded.

Cobbs is not alone. This appears to be one of the stronger noncombine classes to enter a draft in recent years. Counting Cobbs, here are 10 players who are not in Indianapolis this week but could turn up in the 2006 NFL draft:

Eric Kimble, WR, Eastern Washington: All-Big Sky quarterback Erik Meyer is at the combine – but not the guy who caught all of his passes. Kimble was a three-year starter and Eastern Washington's all-time leading receiver with 253 catches. He was a two-time All-Big Sky selection, and his 46 career touchdowns rank second in Division I-AA history to Jerry Rice (50). Kimble also averaged 13.4 yards per career punt return with three touchdowns.

Will Allen, G, Texas: The Longhorns didn't get much respect before the national title game against Southern Cal, and they aren't getting much respect before the NFL draft. There were 14 Southern Cal players invited to the combine but only six from UT. The most glaring omission was Allen, a three-year starter and All-Big 12 selection in 2005.

Willie Evans, DE, Mississippi State: Evans led the SEC with 15 sacks and 28 ½ tackles-for-loss in 2005. He was a three-year starter and an All-SEC pick as a senior. If you can rush the passer in the SEC, you can rush the passer in the NFL.

Charles Sharon, WR, Bowling Green: Like Kimble, Sharon stays home this week while his college quarterback, Omar Jacobs, is being scrutinized by NFL talent evaluators. Sharon was a four-year starter and Bowling Green's all-time leading receiver with 232 catches. He also returned punts, averaging 10.3 yards in 82 career runbacks with a touchdown.

Mark LeVoir, OT, Notre Dame: Golden Dome blockers tend to make it at the next level, especially those who were prep All-Americas and three-year starters for the Fighting Irish. LeVoir started at guard as a sophomore and tackle as a junior and senior. He blocked for three 200-yard rushing games by Julius Jones in 2003.

Jovon Johnson, CB, Iowa: A three-year starter and All-Big Ten selection in 2005, Johnson left Iowa as the school's third all-time leading interceptor with 17. He also led the conference in punt returns last season with an 18.7-yard average and one touchdown. He's only 5-8 – but the NFL is littered with undersized cornerbacks.

Nick Reid, LB, Kansas: The NFL didn't restrict its Big 12 snubs to Texas. Reid was the Big 12 defensive player of the year but didn't get an invitation to Indianapolis, either. He was a four-year starter at Kansas and a two-time All-Big 12 pick with 410 career tackles.

Mike Lorello, S, West Virginia: In a vote of his teammates, Lorello was selected the MVP of the 11-1, Sugar Bowl champion Mountaineers. A three-year starter, Lorello was an All-Big East selection in 2005. He made 253 career tackles, and his 31 ½ tackles-for-loss rank fifth in school history.

Stephen Gostkowski, K, Memphis: Gostkowski is the all-time leading scorer for Memphis and Conference USA with 370 points. He made 19 of 27 career field goals from outside the 40 and three of five from beyond the 50. He also kicks off.

E-mail rgosselin@dallasnews.com

UNT's Cobbs off draft radar, for now

Willie Evans, DE, Mississippi State: Evans led the SEC with 15 sacks and 28 ½ tackles-for-loss in 2005. He was a three-year starter and an All-SEC pick as a senior. If you can rush the passer in the SEC, you can rush the passer in the NFL.

With all due respect towards the SEC -- and this player's chances in the draft--, I see that as a slight over-generalization.

Will Allen, G, Texas: The Longhorns didn't get much respect before the national title game against Southern Cal, and they aren't getting much respect before the NFL draft. There were 14 Southern Cal players invited to the combine but only six from UT. The most glaring omission was Allen, a three-year starter and All-Big 12 selection in 2005.

Nick Reid, LB, Kansas: The NFL didn't restrict its Big 12 snubs to Texas. Reid was the Big 12 defensive player of the year but didn't get an invitation to Indianapolis, either. He was a four-year starter at Kansas and a two-time All-Big 12 pick with 410 career tackles.

These two are very suprising omissions. Both are very good players.