Duke QB xferring to Middle Tennessee

MeanGreen61

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...NEWS01/60224003

Duke quarterback transferring to MTSU

Duke quarterback Gene Delle Donne will transfer to MTSU and be eligible to play in the 2007 season.

Delle Donne (6-foot-6, 245 pounds) will sit out next season to fulfill NCAA transfer rules and will be a redshirt sophomore for the 2007 season.

“I took a visit to Pittsburgh last week and I had visits planned for UConn, Syracuse and Rutgers. But after seeing Middle Tennessee, I didn’t think any other place would compare,” Delle Donne said.

The 19 year-old quarterback took a redshirt year at Duke last season, but he was rated the No. 22 top pro-style quarterback nationally by Rivals.com and top quarterback prospect in Delaware in the 2005 signing class.

He was named Delaware’s 2004 Gatorade Player of the Year and chose Duke over Boston College, Maryland, Notre Dame and Michigan out of Salesianum High in Wilmington Del., according to Rivals.com.

“I still had a good relationship with (current MTSU offensive coordinator G.A. Mangus) from high school when he was my offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in my freshman year there,” Delle Donne said. “And then I liked all the coaches and players and that community and campus at Middle Tennessee.”

Delle Donne joins a host of other quarterbacks on the MTSU roster under new head coach Rick Stockstill.

Two-year starting senior Clint Marks returns under center for the 2006 season, but he is the only quarterback with collegiate game experience for MTSU.

“I take academics seriously and plan on taking some summer classes. But I really look forward to using that first year to learn from Clint Marks,” Donne said. “This is a great opportunity for me, and I can’t wait to get to Middle Tennessee and join that program.”

Originally published February 24, 2006

He was named Delaware’s 2004 Gatorade Player of the Year and chose Duke over Boston College, Maryland, Notre Dame and Michigan out of Salesianum High in Wilmington Del., according to Rivals.com.

“I take academics seriously and plan on taking some summer classes. But I really look forward to using that first year to learn from Clint Marks,” Donne said. “This is a great opportunity for me, and I can’t wait to get to Middle Tennessee and join that program.”

So this kid has a 4 year scholarship to Duke, and could have attended BC, Notre Dame, Maryland or Michigan. A degree from any of those places opens all kinds of doors for a young person. Instead, he transfers to MUTS to compete for a QB position.

Kids like this need someone to tell them that the "NFL dream" isn't going to happen, and its OK to take advantage of the academic benefits of their scholarship, even if it means being a backup. Where are his parents?

funny how some mock Clint Marks, but he had a MUCH better year passing wise than our starting QB last year. Granted yeah he did lose to us, but look at his numbers vs. Meager for the entire season.

I'm pretty sure I spent all of last season harping on how terrible our QB play was, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Being less sucky than us last year doesn't mean you don't suck, cause, well... we sucked a LOT.

Oh, and you neglected to mention that Marks was in his 3rd year.

On Donne: I wouldn't downplay this signing. He was a pretty highly regarded recruit for Duke, definitely higher than some of the people that have been touted on THIS board as the next savior. He was the #22 pro-style QB in the nation, according to Rivals. We'll see, but the kid could definitely be something.

Edited by Monkeypox