GMG BOWL III

medpilot21

Welcome to another year of Flag football, benefitting the Andrew Smith Scholarship Fund. Spring football is nearly here, and that means it's time to start getting this thing together.

Your Bowl Comittee for this year is Myself (Steve Thomas), Emmitt Jackson, and Ashley Williams. Your game referrees are Cody Strange, and a ref to be named later... Schedule will play a part in that. I have already started the ball rolling, and am working with the Ath. Dept. as we speak. Keith is checking the calendar for events now, but it looks like we have Fouts Field for the game this year. Mary is going to check with Coach Dickey for "Celebrity" coaches. (that's current Mean Green players) I will put the TENATIVE dates and times in an overview at the bottom of this post. Please understand that we try to accomodate as many of our schedules as possible. Any issues that you have with these dates can be addressed by PM to me. I would also ask that we remember this game, as much fun as we always have, is for a very worthy cause. With that said...

Important Dates:

Registration: Anyone who wishes to play must respond to the thread that will be posted on Wednesday, Feb. 8th. This thread will remain active through Sunday, Feb. 26th. That will give me time for the Draft rosters. Each response should contain basic info on you, and a quick Bio. (I know most of you, but not all. Remember, no Bio from you, and I make one up for you. The risk is all yours.....hehe)

Draft: TENATIVE date is Thursday March 2nd. Captains will be selected from the completed rosters. The draft will be live again this year, and the rules basically the same. Women will be drafted first, then men. This is a talent-available draft, so best player on the board is taken with each pick. We are all football studs, so everyone will be selected.

Game: The tenative date for the game is Saturday, April 15th. We also have the 22nd as a fall-back, but the 15th is looking good so far. All flag rules apply as they have the past two years. The rules will be posted again in a later topic, but we are all familiar with them by now. Most of us have been on the new Fouts Field turf, but for those who have not... those little black rubber shreds tend to get into everything, but it is a great surface to play on.

Shirts: I am looking at bringing the shirt cost in at around $15.00 I will check with the genius that always does this for us (yes Mel, that's you) to see if we can manage that. Shirt money will need to be paid no later than Sunday, March 19th. More details coming for that, so please dont send anything to anyone yet.

Additional info: We will have a $5.00 player fee as usual, plus two fund raisers.

One will be an auction for an autographed, framed Tony Dorsett Dallas Cowboys photo. (8 x 10)

The other will be announced before the draft. All monies collected will go directly to the Scholarship fund. Last year we raised almost $500.00 without fundraisers, so we should do better this year.

More info to come... Here's looking forward to another great football game!!!

GMG!!!

Can we play tackle this year?

You played tackle last year...hehe. You ran over Green Brigade Debbie, remember? You actually knocked her to the ground. Emmitt and I looked at each other and I said.."Rudy just planted Deb like a tent stake". She got up...ticked off, but she got up. I think Cody was too much in shock to throw a flag... I know I was. It's funny to talk about now though. I'd watch your back, she may want revenge this year.

For the record, none of that this game..okay? Flag rules, Bro.

GMG!!!....hahaha

on the t-shirts, if we are going to pay $15, can we please not have the cheap lettering that was iron-on last year, as soon as i was done with the game, i put it in the washer and all of the letters on my name and my number fell off in the firt wash... Major let down... since i wanted to wear again.....

As I mentioned, the $15.00 is a ball-park price. We may be able to do better, but we dont know yet. As for the letters issue, I'll check with Mellissa. My letters havent come off, but I dont know that I've worn that shirt more than a couple of times since that game? I will run it by Mel.

Thanks..

GMG!!!

I have been in grueling training for the past three months getting geared up. I think I have my 40 time down to a cool 5.5, and I think I actually have a postive vertical jump now.

You guys can just call me Grey Goose, because I'm cold, smooth, and if you try to slam me, you'll just end up stumbling around and mumbling incoherently...

Or something... I'm not exactly Emmitt over here with the trash talking.

Shirts: I am looking at bringing the shirt cost in at around $15.00 I will check with the genius that always does this for us (yes Mel, that's you) to see if we can manage that. Shirt money will need to be paid no later than Sunday, March 19th. More details coming for that, so please dont send anything to anyone yet.

Additional info: We will have a $5.00 player fee as usual, plus two fund raisers.

One will be an auction for an autographed, framed Tony Dorsett Dallas Cowboys photo. (8 x 10)

The other will be announced before the draft. All monies collected will go directly to the Scholarship fund. Last year we raised almost $500.00 without fundraisers, so we should do better this year.

Why don't you see if you can get someone to donate the shirts (like the AD), then use that $15.00 fee to go the scholarship fund? If 30 people play and you charge $15.00 for shirts, then you've just raised $450 right there.

just a thought...

That is a great idea - the most expensive part of the shirts are the shirts themselves - the screenprinting - as long as it is just one color - is fairly inexpensive. I would hit up Miller or Budweiser for the shirts, surely they have some fairly blank promotional shirts that we could screen print on. The white shirts shouldn't be a problem at all... But - It might be a problem getting green shirts from either one of them... maybe they have some left over from St Patrick's Day somewhere in the warehouse. Anyone have a connection at Bud - I think that GreenNawlin'sVet used to work at the Bud warehouse - if he is reading this - are you still there bud?

Also, anyone out there work for a company that does promotional campaigns with shirts (pharmaceuticals, beer, liquor, etc...) that might be able to hook us up with some shirts to screen print?

By the way - does anyone mind if I throw my name in the hat as the coach of the Green team? I am nursing a back injury right now and definitely won't be able to play but I would really like to be involved in some type of role (more then just a spectator this year)... I will make sure that I borrow Dickey's playbook and tuck it into the front of my pants - I will also need an official "Diet Coke Boy" - any volunteers for that role?

By the way part 2 - when we started this game 3 years ago it was a great way to blow off steam (everyone on the board was arguing about pretty much everything att hat point for some reason) - I appreciate the guys putting it all together again to make it an annual thing and appreciate that they added a fund raiser portion to it - this has made the game "mean" something other then just a bunch of out of shapers out there making fools of themselves! And yet another thanks for getting the ball rolling once again for this 3rd annual GoMeanGreen.com / Andrew Smith Memorial Fund Flag Football game. It is a great cause that everyone can be involved with. I think we had about 50 people show up just to watch the game last year! Counting the players, we had about 100 or so people that showed up last year - let's try and double that this year!

The shirts fall into Ashley's area, so if she can work something out to get them donated...all the better. Mellissa Dolan has been the go-between for us for the last couple of years, and did a great job. I would love for them to be able to get the shirts donated, and will see what they can do. There are still some kinks to work out for this game, but overall we are ahead. The comittee will meet this week to iron out some details and finalize a few things. I will run Stebo's request for Green team captain by them, but I dont see a problem there. Emmitt will be the one who selects the captains for both teams, but that will be done after the BIO's are in. I will post all of that in the "rules and registration" post on Wednesday.

Should be a great time!!!

GMG!!!

You got more padding than I do. And from what I remember, you did kinda lay her out. I'm waiting for her to give you the payback this year tongue.gif

Deb is a good friend, and I would NEVER intentionally try to hit or hurt her. IF she does want payback for anything she feels intentional, I will stand there and let her have her revenge.

I'll start looking for donors for the shirts and the printing this week hopefully. Once we meet and we get some deadlines nailed down I'll get a better feel for what we are looking at in terms of the size and monetary amount of donation required. It would be great if we could get it donated. I've had some experience in the past (working for school organizations) in getting things donated, so I'm feeling optimistic about it! Send any leads my way...

Thanks,

Ashley (Hope)

If your still needing a sponsor, Majestic Graphics out of Denton is willing to donate the T shirst. Whoever is in charge of the T Shirts give me a call at home. 817-999-9335. I told them we will need upwards of 35 shirts, or more? I'll need the artwork ASAP if we decide to go with these folks.

Rick

I just talked to Ashley and she should be calling you anytime now... Thanks Rick!!!

Med.