Vince Young whines about the Hesiman Trophy

Got5onIt

don't confuse the state of texas with UT.

Southern Cal is much more Texan than the University of Texas.

Trust me, I'm no UT lover - I get sick to my stomach with all the UT talk here in Austin - there is no sports radio, only UT sports radio. But I really, really don't like USC - the overhyped team that is the Trojans. I'll be cheering for UT come 1/4/06. That doesn't happen very often.

USC has won, what, 35 games in a row & the national title the last 2 years...they're hardly overhyped.

Listen, my argument is well-reasoned, though-out, and wholly dependent on logic and wisdom: Me no like USC. So what if I don't conjugate or mess up some pronouns here and there.

And I agree, USC is good. Shoot, they probably would run the table in the Sun Belt.

I simply think they're overhyped (as in they get the L.A./national media attention much more so than any southern school)... I think LSU would have beaten them a few years ago, and I hope UT beats 'em this year.

Listen, my argument is well-reasoned, though-out, and wholly dependent on logic and wisdom: Me no like USC.  So what if I don't conjugate or mess up some pronouns here and there.

And I agree, USC is good.  Shoot, they probably would run the table in the Sun Belt. 

I simply think they're overhyped (as in they get the L.A./national media attention much more so than any southern school)... I think LSU would have beaten them a few years ago, and I hope UT beats 'em this year.

Two things.

1)35 straight victories. That's impressive no matter who you are. Every week for at least the last two years USC has been given the other team's best shot...and they won. Maybe LSU would have beaten them, maybe they would have lost to Auburn last year....as the UT fans are ooooohhhh so fond of saying "they can only play the teams on their schedule." They took Oklahoma (hyped by many to be among the 'best ever') out behind the woodshed last year. They beat Michigan the year prior (You should remember Michigan; they're the team Texas beat in the Rose

Bowl last year and got miles and miles of mileage out of it). They went into South Bend this year and won what may be one of the best college games ever played. They beat a schedule of teams ranked more highly than that of the horns. And, oh yeah, they have 35 straight victories. No matter how you spin it that is DOMINANCE.

2)If you want to see overhyped look no further than your adopted school (if only for Jan 4th) UT. They beat Ohio State, but so did Penn State. They beat Texas Tech, but so did Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State! Yes, 4-7 Oklahoma State. Speaking of Oklahoma State their running back Mike Hamilton had 3 carries for 194 yards against the 'mighty' horns. Wonder what Reggie Bush will do? tongue.gif Their other wins over a ranked team? Two over the stellar Colorado Buffaloes....the same Buffs who just fired their coach for the embarrasment that was the 2005 season after not 1, not 1, but 3 embarrassing losses to end the season. And what of their intra-state rival Texas A&M? They gave Texas all that they could handle WITHOUT Reggie McNeal. To put it plainly, they are in Pasadena this year by virtue of a very weak Big 12. USC doesn't play in the Big XII and it will show BIG TIME on January 4.

If you want to see overhyped look no further than your adopted school (if only for Jan 4th) UT.  They beat Ohio State, but so did Penn State.  They beat Texas Tech, but so did Oklahoma State.  Oklahoma State!  Yes, 4-7 Oklahoma State.

My last post on the issue. One thing is for sure: this game will involve big time hoopla, as well it should.

I think your quote above is a slippery slope, E. Cannot the same be said about USC's schedule? USC had 3 games where they won by 10 or less: Ariz St., Fresno St., and ND. Ariz St. lost to Stanford. Yes, 5-6 Stanford. Fresno State lost to LaTech. Shoot, we stayed within 40 of LaTech, so you know they must be horrible. wink.gif Notre Dame lost to 5-6 Michigan State. ... I'm not putting any stock in this argument, I'm simply saying that that which can be criticized about UT can also be criticized of USC. No doubt, the Big XII was down this year - especially the north. Nevertheless, I think TX actually lived up to the hype this year... for once. As for USC, no doubt they've found a way to win, which is definitely impressive, and though the Pac-10 is historically known as a weaker BCS conference, running the table is running the table.

I don't think the Austin media market is quite up there with L.A., and trust me you will not find a greater ally in terms of frustration with the UT hype machine... but that's pretty much a Texas thing. In New Orleans, if you say UT, people aren't sure if you're talking about Texas or Tennessee. The hype, outside the state, is not comparable.

I will be cheering for the less-evil empire (UT) against the evil empire (USC) in January.... Does that make me a commie?

Edited by MGW

Southern Cal is much more Texan than the University of Texas. 

Trust me, I'm no UT lover - I get sick to my stomach with all the UT talk here in Austin - there is no sports radio, only UT sports radio.  But I really, really don't like USC - the overhyped team that is the Trojans.  I'll be cheering for UT come 1/4/06.  That doesn't happen very often.

Two things.

1)35 straight victories.  That's impressive no matter who you are.  Every week for at least the last two years USC has been given the other team's best shot...and they won.  Maybe LSU would have beaten them, maybe they would have lost to Auburn last year....as the UT fans are ooooohhhh so fond of saying "they can only play the teams on their schedule."  They took Oklahoma (hyped by many to be among the 'best ever') out behind the woodshed last year.  They beat Michigan the year prior (You should remember Michigan; they're the team Texas beat in the Rose

Bowl last year and got miles and miles of mileage out of it).  They went into South Bend this year and won what may be one of the best college games ever played.  They beat a schedule of teams ranked more highly than that of the horns.  And, oh yeah, they have 35 straight victories.  No matter how you spin it that is DOMINANCE.

2)If you want to see overhyped look no further than your adopted school (if only for Jan 4th) UT.  They beat Ohio State, but so did Penn State.  They beat Texas Tech, but so did Oklahoma State.  Oklahoma State!  Yes, 4-7 Oklahoma State.  Speaking of Oklahoma State their running back Mike Hamilton had 3 carries for 194 yards against the 'mighty' horns.  Wonder what Reggie Bush will do?  tongue.gif  Their other wins over a ranked team?  Two over the stellar Colorado Buffaloes....the same Buffs who just fired their coach for the embarrasment that was the 2005 season after not 1, not 1, but 3 embarrassing losses to end the season.  And what of their intra-state rival Texas A&M?  They gave Texas all that they could handle WITHOUT Reggie McNeal.  To put it plainly, they are in Pasadena this year by virtue of a very weak Big 12.  USC doesn't play in the Big XII and it will show BIG TIME on January 4.

GREAT POST - you are absolutely correct on UT's schedule vs. USC's. I really don't think this game will be that close as USC is licking their chops yet again considering the fact that most out there will tell you the Big 12 is weaker this year than they were last year. Anytime you win a conf. championship game by 67 points you know there is not much competition in your league.

Vince Young is a jerk

Mack Brown is a jerk

I hope they lose so all the fron-runners at our school can shut their mouths.

and as eealy said it, Quinn for Heisman 06

what are fron-runners?

and why is Mack Brown a jerk?

VY, I can kind of understand if some people don't like his over confidence. To me, he's ok too.

Going back to the original discussion really fast. Bush deserved the Heisman, period. I felt he deserved it LAST year when he was 5th. He is quite simply the most amazing player I've ever seen play on a college football field in my 27(okay, maybe 22...did I really watch much before I was 5?) years of watching the game.

Young is terrific. I even think he might be a better pro than the much hyped Leinart. But he's no Reggie Bush. I'll never forget being in the Colesium for the Fresno State game....chills just remembering it.

The games in the Coloseum look like a blast. I was watching that game on tv and couldn't help but think about how awesome it must be to ride the USC wave right now. LA fans are not the best and will jump off the wagon as soon as they take a turn, but when they are on they are on. A Pac 10 team having that kind of atmosphere is something special.

GMG

The games in the Coloseum look like a blast.  I was watching that game on tv and couldn't help but think about how awesome it must be to ride the USC wave right now.  LA fans are not the best and will jump off the wagon as soon as they take a turn, but when they are on they are on.  A Pac 10 team having that kind of atmosphere is something special.

GMG

Seriously, the Colesium was one of the best environments I've ever seen a game in. It was electric. Los Angeles fans get a much deserved thrashing for being finicky(don't even get me started on late arriving Dodger crowds), so I was surprised how loud and raucous it was. It was LOUD.

Seriously, the Colesium was one of the best environments I've ever seen a game in.  It was electric.  Los Angeles fans get a much deserved thrashing for being finicky(don't even get me started on late arriving Dodger crowds), so I was surprised how loud and raucous it was.  It was LOUD.

Dodger fans are the worst. Period.

To put it plainly, they are in Pasadena this year by virtue of a very weak Big 12. USC doesn't play in the Big XII and it will show BIG TIME on January 4.

youre right USC dosent play in the Big 12. they play in the Pac 10 which is only 1 smidgen better than the big EAST. or maybe a scotch I am not certain. USC hasnt played a good team yet this year. Notre Dame is the only thing close and they only played 3 winning teams. they lost to two of them. I am not calling a blow out (which some of you so kindly remind me that I did last year), but UT will win this game.

To put it plainly, they are in Pasadena this year by virtue of a very weak Big 12. USC doesn't play in the Big XII and it will show BIG TIME on January 4.

youre right USC dosent play in the Big 12. they play in the Pac 10 which is only 1 smidgen better than the big EAST. or maybe a scotch I am not certain. USC hasnt played a good team yet this year. Notre Dame is the only thing close and they only played 3 winning teams. they lost to two of them. I am not calling a blow out (which some of you so kindly remind me that I did last year), but UT will win this game.

Edited by emmitt01

The big12 has 2 big opportunities to exploit the "perceived" weakness of the PAC-10, and visa versa. OU plays Oregon and Texas plays USC (#1 and #2). Id watch out for OU to pull the upset. They are getting better everytime they play and AD is fully healthy. They are probably the best 7-4 team in the nation.

Basically all this arguing will be settled in 20 some odd days. Both conferences will have opportunities for bragging rights. Until then all the arguing on what will happen is useless.

I'm amazed that nobody expected USC to whip OU like they did last year. I did (granted not that bad). OU had a crappy secondary all of 2004 and the only reason Texas didnt beat them was because they refused to throw the ball down field and kept running the same unimaginitive offense. Then they handed the reigns over to VY and Texas hasnt lost a game since.

Couple things make this game different for me:

Texas has a better defense than OU did last year. They also boast one of the best secondaries in the nation. USC's offense is better than last years. Texas has 3rd best rushing offense in the nation (anyone see how well Fresno ran on USC with an Oline that is inferior to Texas?). USC has mind bullets on Texas. All of these things lead me to believe it should be a good game, and not a blow out like last year.

Again, it doesnt really matter what we all say, the Big 12 vs Pac 10 will be settled in few weeks.

Otherwise, as is the case, writers from across the country must vote these teams pretty damn highly or they would drop from the polls.  If everyone in the south, east, nortwest, and southwest were as unbiased and wise  dry.gif  as you and could recognize the relative weakness of the Pac-10 there is NO WAY they would all stay ranked because the AP and coaches' polls would bear them out as imposters.  But the polls don't agree with you.  Therefore a grand majority of people with a whole lot of football knowledge (and many of them with a vested interest in seeing one region be more powerful) must look at what USC has done as pretty damn impressive. 

You're right, those grand majority of people with a whole lot o football knowledge think Texas in number 2. They would have dropped out of the polls or moved down at 12-0 if the pollers thought they were going to get killed in the national championship and put someone more deserving in there.

I would say they have both proven they deserve to be there. The reasoning behind TTech being so bad is awful. OkST can jump up to bite people like FresnoST can. I don't understand why folks want to get into pissing matches over teams that haven't play each other yet. I think they played comparable schedules. Tx played OhioST for christs sake. It's not like they beat up on the Sunbelt conference and then get an auto bid for the NC.

For people who behave like snot-nosed brats, I've invented this category of people I call AFNAR. AFNAR stands for Arrogant for No Apparent Reason. Vince earned his AFNAR rating when he didn't say, "Way to go, Reggie. Nice trophy."

This the best thing in this column, but the acronym should be AFNFR. AFNFR stands for Arrogant for No F'N Reason.