North Texas beats Nicholls State

CMJ

Granted not the best competition, but the team sounded strong. I didn't like the fact that we got outrebounded by an undersized team. However our defensive pressure was strong and we caused 24 turnovers.

Kendrick Davis was really strong tonight. I believe nearly the whole team scored.

The team played well offensively, but I also don't like how we didn't win the rebound battle. Nicholls State's forwards were undersized and we should have dominated on the boards. We had much better athletes but they had a couple of crafty guys who got position and played fundamentally sound ball. They didn't pressure us defensively because they didn't have the athletes for it, and that basically let us do almost whatever we wanted on the offensive end. I am a little worried that we didn't put them away much earlier in the game. There were a few stretches in the second half where the team wasn't playing with much intensity and Nicholls State made little runs to keep the game within reach.

I was really happy to see Quincy come in and play well. He had some really nice moves around the basket and also hit from mid range, which was good to see. Admittedly he wasn't being guarded by great players, but that was a good rebound from last game when he threw up some awkward looking shots.

I would also like to reiterate my thought from an earlier thread and say how great it is to have some good bench players who can come in and contribute.

A few thoughts on this game:

Quincy seemed to start this game off strong. Maybe after watching his big bro dismantle UT he felt inspired. He seemed to shake off that underclassman look tonight. He was calling for the ball, diving after loose balls (thats the opposite of a win ball to some of you), and just making smart decisions when he had the ball. Once he was taken off the floor I don't think he got back into rhythm. Jeffery Simpson is going to have to learn to not get into foul trouble. Lionel Brown is becoming one of my favorite players. He just makes play after play. We weren't as much "in love with the 3 ball" as we were last home game. We still hit double digit 3's. Nicholls State seemed to really be able to run their offense well. Lots of good looks early on coming off of away from the ball screens. Johnny went into a full court press in the 2nd half that pretty much took control of the game. I can't believe we didn't press earlier than that to build up an early large lead. Overall it was a good night. The crowd was very late arriving. 14 or 15 students were there, but they couldn't cheer because they had a basketball game to play.

Edited by Zeke

I think that our 05 class will be very productive, mainly the freshman.

Howerton may (I believe) will be one of the best big men that JJ has ever had. He is still young, and still learning the new style of basketball after coming from a small school. He is not afraid to throw his body around and mix it up inside. He seems to be getting better each game.

Harold Stewart was unimpressive tonight, but he has lots of raw talent and can be a very versitile 4 man.

Harold Edwards I thought played very well tonight, mostly on the defense end and did a great job sticking with his man. He was gaurding the best player on the court and fought hard considering every play was run to or through his man. Hopefully he will understand that his best chance to play this year is if he can keep up the defensive pressure. I am pretty sure that I heard that he was a center in HS and is being forced to develope on the run.

Brown will be what he is suppose to be, a back up point gaurd who can keep his team in the game when he step onto the court. He likely won't start next year with the kid from San Janto that they are bringing in.

I can't really get any read on Young since he hasn't really since much action.

But I would be far from disapointed in this years class. Give them time, let them grew. Hopefully by the time Williams and Sturns are seniors this freshman class will develope into something special.

Edited by UNTSportsGuy

I thought the final was 98-76... I must have missed some scoring at the end...

Other than that great game. I really hope they hang 100 on someone this year. This team will go to the NIT easily if they keep playing like this, but if the belt only has one team in the tourney we will have a hard road through WKU and Denver.

I think that our 05 class will be very productive, mainly the freshman.

Howerton may (I believe) will be one of the best big men that JJ has ever had. He is still young, and still learning the new style of basketball after coming from a small school. He is not afraid to throw his body around and mix it up inside. He seems to be getting better each game.

Harold Stewart was unimpressive tonight, but he has lots of raw talent and can be a very versitile 4 man.

Harold Edwards I thought played very well tonight, mostly on the defense end and did a great job sticking with his man. He was gaurding the best player on the court and fought hard considering every play was run to or through his man. Hopefully he will understand that his best chance to play this year is if he can keep up the defensive pressure. I am pretty sure that I heard that he was a center in HS and is being forced to develope on the run.

Brown will be what he is suppose to be, a back up point gaurd who can keep his team in the game when he step onto the court. He likely won't start next year with the kid from San Janto that they are bringing in.

I can't really get any read on Young since he hasn't really since much action.

But I would be far from disapointed in this years class. Give them time, let them grew. Hopefully by the time Williams and Sturns are seniors this freshman class will develope into something special.

Howertorn probably won't be the best big man JJ ever signed because Wooden and Muse will probably take that prize. Next year will be something to see with Wooden, Muse, Howerton, and Quincy. It will be the first time in many, many years that we will be able to dominate teams inside, and I just don't mean Sun Belt teams.

That kind of talent will let us roll with anyone, if they play to their abilities.

Ahh, always the catch...

I am really worried about Wooden. I don't really know what to expect from him... Howerton I know we can expect big things from. He isn't afraid to go up and try to get the block on anyone (2 blocks in 3 mins last night). Wooden does have a good pedigree but that doesn't always mean he will be good.

While being interviewed on the radio show before the NT-Arizona St game, Coach Jones said his good friend Rob Evans, coach of the Sun Devils, helped steer Wooden to the Mean Green. Jones quoted Evans as saying Wooden was a great kid and a great player and he hated to lose him. Jones also said he wished he could sneak Wooden into the game.

Wooden is ineligible to play in games untill 2006-07, but is allowed to practice with the team. My opinion after watching him in the first two weeks of practice is he is the best post player on the team.

Ahh, always the catch...

I am really worried about Wooden. I don't really know what to expect from him...  Howerton I know we can expect big things from.  He isn't afraid to go up and try to get the block on anyone (2 blocks in 3 mins last night).  Wooden does have a good pedigree but that doesn't always mean he will be good.

I hear that Wooden is dominating inside in practice. Next year will be huge. We have never had this much size inside as Wooden qQuincy Muse and Howerton. The player I get excited about is Mangrum. Jonny has always been a good recruiter but I will be watching his coaching this year very closely.

I would probably question his work ethic, considering he was a Top 100 player coming out of HS but failed to produce at ASU. I haven't met him or know much about him, but that is normally the issue when players transfers from another school when no coaching change was involved.

Do you have anything to base this accusation on?

Actually, no. Just I guess just that if you are THAT good, and don't get better at the next level, it probably isn't because you plateau but rather that you didn't work hard enough to get to the next level.

I wonder why most transfers do leave their old school, but hopefully we will work out to be like Davis. Hopefully I'll have to eat my words somewhere down the line.