OK, What If UNT Had Joined CUSA in 2003?

PlummMeanGreen

And We All Wanted Membership in Conference USA?

Well, lets just see where NT football would be today had we been accepted to start football play in CUSA circa 2003.

2003: 4'th Place CUSA Team: University of Memphis.............The Tigers were CUSA's last team (4'th place in '03) that would go to a bowl game--Well..........they beat us in the 2003 New Orleans Bowl that December--Had NT been a member of CUSA in 2003, we would have sat home during bowl season.

2004: 4'th Place CUSA Team: University of Southern Miss...............The Golden Eagles were CUSA's last team (4'th place in '04) that would go to a bowl game--Well.........they beat us quite handily in the 2004 New Orleans Bowl that December--Had NT been a member of CUSA in 2004, we would have sat home during bowl season.

2005: 4'th Place CUSA Team: Probably a composite of either Tulsa U or University of Houston.............Well, we all know what the Golden Hurricane did to us at Fouts Field weeks ago as they set a record for the worst home loss in NT football history and just guess who beat the Tulsa Golden Hurricane a few weeks ago? You guessed it, the UH Coogs. sad.gif

<>*<> So...........had NT been a member of CUSA during this 2005 football campaign, well, we're not........we are a member of the Sun Belt Conference where if you finish toward the bottom of this league, you are at the bottom of the 117 member NCAA D1-A. It will become a 119 member NCAA D1-A once FAU and FIU meet the 1-A criteria best I understand the rules on that.

sad.gifwink.gifmad.gifblink.gifph34r.gif

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

But Plumm,

We won four straight conference titles, well really three outright and one we were co-champions. I mean man up until four years ago there was no-way you could be this bad and actually win a conference championship with a losing record. Things are pretty rosy its kind of like our own private division, I mean we can constantly lose OOC games, have a very crappy record overall and still be the best in the conference. The gray zone between D1A and D1AA is the SBC or maybe we should be called the practice belt conference, a complete conference made up of practice teams just for the real D1A to tune up against. Just what I always wanted to be be happy with.

Best of all we need to back a head coach that has been slipping for three years just because of the SBC titles. But we should not look at the absolute lack of discipline on the field, off the field and in the classroom. We don't need to worry about how much easier it would be to bring in a new coach if we still have fans in the stands. I mean heck its pretty easy to build up the fan base in Denton. 8 long years DD has prepared and recruited why would anyone think we should not be one of the worst in Division 1. We shouldn't worry that after DeLoach left, our team has showed no real improvement, but yet somehow we should think that DD will just turn around our team from one of our worst seasons in history, to a competitive team next year. Why not, hell I guess you can't get much worst, you know when you are on the bottom there is no direction but up. I believe in magic!

It is not the head coach's job to help talk-up the football program, so why not use the fans and the school for an excuse. UNT doesn't really need the head of our football team to talk up the team, and let the rest of the world know we are investing heavily in our athletic program and buildings. That is the fans' problem.

Dang, what is all the hubbub bud? Things are pretty damn good!

Edited by KingDL1

On the other hand, had we been in C-USA in 2002 we could have possibly ended up in the Liberty Bowl(against Colorado State again no doubt) in place of TCU considering we beat the C-USA co-Champion(Cincinnati) that year in N.O. We beat Cincinnati so who knows how things could have worked out that year in conference for us? Of course, if's and but's.....?

Rick

But Plumm,

We won four straight conference titles, well really three outright and one we were co-champions. I mean man up until four years ago there was no-way you could be this bad and actually win a conference championship with a losing record. Things are pretty rosy its kind of like our own private division, I mean we can constantly lose OOC games, have a very crappy record overall and still be the best in the conference. The gray zone between D1A and D1AA is the SBC or maybe we should be called the practice belt conference, a complete conference made up of practice teams just for the real D1A to tune up against. Just what I always wanted to be be happy with.

Best of all we need to back a head coach that has been slipping for three years just because of the SBC titles. But we should not look at the absolute lack of discipline on the field, off the field and in the classroom. We don't need to worry about how much easier it would be to bring in a new coach if we still have fans in the stands. I mean heck its pretty easy to build up the fan base in Denton.  8 long years DD has prepared and recruited why would anyone think we should not be one of the worst in Division 1.  We shouldn't worry that after DeLoach left our team has showed no real improvement, but yet some who think that DD will just turn around our team  from one of our worst seasons in history, to a competitive team next year. Why not, hell I guess you can't get much worst, you know when you are on the bottom there is no direction but up. I believe in magic!

It is not the head coach's job to help talk-up the football program, so why not use the fans and the school for an excuse. UNT doesn't really need the head of our football team to talk up the team, and let the rest of the world know we are investing heavily in our athletic program and buildings. That is the fans' problem.

Dang, what is all the hubbub bud? Things are pretty damn good!

KingDL1, with your approval I have highlighted some of your above thoughts in blue.

One longtime NT Ex and Mean Green fan pointed out to me today that in 2006 we will play most of the SBC schools who will be considered the toughest SBC teams all on the road; so with that in mind, we will (in deed) need some of that magic you mention in your post above.

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

For one thing, we'd probably be outrecruiting ULL, ASU, ULM, MUTS, LaTech, Tulsa, and others.  Conference USA is a higher profile conference that I'd like to be in some day.

This is a lot of coulda shoulda woulda, but you are right. A direct comparison of who did what doesn't translate. Recruiting would have changed things by the second or third season. CUSA is very attractive. Lots of bowl ties. Lots of TV. UNT would have moved up a notch or two in terms of quality recruits, and you would have been applying that advantage in Texas, as opposed to Mississippi, for example. Chance to earn bowl money and grow the program by finishing 1 through 4, instead of the all or nothing SBC situation.