Ask and Ye Shall receive.....

NeedCoach

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE THE "NO DIET COKE" SYMBOL!!!! Fantastic site, only I don't know if it's DD's fault (I know he's the coach and is responsible for the entire team) or Flannigan's fault. I'm not trying to threadjack, but I don't know if firing DD is the answer. Good site my man!

Firing DD does not help what is wrong with this team. I've responded to this thread so may times now that my head hurts. Give DD next season and judge where we are then. This is a rebuilding year, and most of us knew that after game 2. I asked that we just win the homecoming game this season...and let DD handle where this team goes from there.

I expected pretty much what we are seeing. Yes, it still hurts... but we are where we thought we would be. I'm willing to have enough faith to give DD his time to make the corrections.

Fire him if you want, but I think he has earned some loyalty... and he will get it from me.

GMG!!!

Fire him if you want, but I think he has earned some loyalty... and he will get it from me.

GMG!!!

Yep. Not real happy with the season, but 4 conference titles has to account for some thing. Worst conference in America or not.

If we look like this next year, then I'll consider grabbing a pitchfork.

Edited by CMJ

All this would be fine if DD had not been slipping since 2002 but he has.

This conference has disguised his lack of coaching ability, but not his lack of discipline and play calling anyone who thinks this is not DD's offense is fooling themselves.

I am not a RF fan by no means, especially after the incident with Silver, but he has to work with what DD gives him. The game plan is DD's no doubt about it. Anyone who watches the games can tell these players are not properly prepared for these games.

Please people don't think we need to go to the bloody end with DD just because he has four conference titles that never existed until four years ago. Our fan-base can not take it, our recruiting can not take it. Fan-base is equal to season tickets they will take a hard hit next year as it is and if DD can't turn it around we are screwed. Nothing I have seen has shown he can do it. I am not sure what DD has proved to you all but his record overall sucks.

Edited by KingDL1

All this would be fine if DD had not been slipping since 2002 but he has.

This conference has disguised his lack of coaching ability, but not his lack of discipline and play calling anyone who thinks this is not DD's offense is fooling themselves.

I am not a RF fan by no means, especially after the incident with Silver, but he has to work with what DD gives him. The  game plan is DD's no doubt about it. Anyone who watches the games can tell these players are not properly prepared for these games.

Please people don't think we need to go to the bloody end with DD just because he has four conference titles that never existed until four years ago. Our fan-base can not take it, our recruiting can not take it. Fan-base is equal to season tickets they will take a hard hit next year as it is and if DD can't turn it around we are screwed. Nothing I have seen has shown he can do it. I am not sure what DD has proved to you all but his record overall sucks.

To me its not a Darrell Dickey decision at all because if it were that, you keep him because he's a good family man who probably pays his income taxes every year, doesn't curse his players too much (since that seems to be another assistant who does that) AND who goes to church every Sunday, but the light bulb that came on in my head last night after we got beat by a "young" Schnellenberger team (that had lost its starting QB) was that all of this will eventually boil down to economic$ in Mean Green Country. NOTE: Should we all be reminded that FAU has been playing football for only 4 or 5 years?

Economic$? In NT's situation, the lack of selling tickets to the last 2 home games which will probably take us too close to the NCAA D1-A mandatory 15,000 per home game (or well under it). That is part of the economic package we are being dealt. Oh, we could lie about the attendance at those last 2 home games as some schools out there we all know do, but we won't at UNT. BUT.......................the killer will be trying to sell season tickets to all this next summer. Its one thing to finish toward to bottom of the Mountain West Conference, but its an entire different deal to finish at the bottom of the Sun Belt Conference which annually abounds with schools ranked in the 100's of the 117 school NCAA D1-A. One of you called it being "the Best of the Worst?"

I think DD is a good recruiter and have stated such numerous times, but I just don't he is one who can lead his coaches to coach this talent to much higher competition levels than that of the Sun Belt Conference. It has been said many times that "IF" NT doesn't beat the 3'rd or 4'th place CUSA team we have played in the NO's Bowl, that we are not showing improvement at all. Again, folks, I said "3'rd or 4'th place CUSA team.

We have some good football players on this team, but the last few years we've seen lack of discipline on and off the football field (personal foul penalties at really stupid times in the course of a football game?) and now we have one of DD's coordinators rushing after one of our fans who didn't say anything that was inaccurate. Unfortunately, the last 3 years outside SBC competition, we've been out-coached in many games.

Economic$? Isn't this a time in our program that we should be building solid fan support aimed toward NT's projected move to our new stadium in 2009? FWIW, the last 3 years we have been been slipping each year and we are much more closely ranked with all the SBC schools who are annually ranked from #100 to #117 than we are ranked with D1-A schools that insures this football program is for certain progressing and making marked improvement. We just cannot continue being the Best of the Worst as one of you posters has coined that phrase.

The last 3 years, fellow Greenbackers, we have not shown such progress and a much needed distancing from the balance of the Sun Belt Conference football teams. If NT were in a conference that did not have a bowl tie-in (like during the Mean Joe Greene era and also Hayden Fry's 1'st Mo Valley football champion did not have as well)...........then one should ask this question: How many bowl games would NORTH TEXAS in today's political NCAA D1-A have gone to the last 4 years? That is the question some NT officials really need to ask of themselves if they get hung up on the bowl part of all this. This year we were soundly defeated by OOC schools that we thought we were at least even with.

In conclusion, if you can get 1,000 NT students on our main campus who'd say they really like watching Mean Green football and who also like the direction this football program in the Sun Belt Conference is headed under DD and staff, I'd change my mind on the whole thing, but I don't think you could find 500 NT students who would say such. It's really going to boil down to economics and how much a hit our NT leadership now thinks we can handle if we are content to only compete at the level of play most SBC schools compete. That is not the quality of NCAA D1-A football we need to be taking across the interstate to our new football stadiium in 2009, folks .

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

To me its not a Darrell Dickey decision at all because if it were that, you keep him because he's a good family man who probably pays his income taxes every year, doesn't curse his players too much (since that seems to be another assistant who does that) AND who goes to church every Sunday, but the light bulb that came on in my head last night after we got beat by a "young" Schnellenberger team (that had lost its starting QB) was that all of this will eventually boil down to economics in Mean Green Country.  NOTE:  Should we all be reminded that FAU has been playing football for only 4 or 5 years?

Economics?  In NT's situation, the lack of selling tickets to the last 2 home games which will probably take us too close to the NCAA D1-A mandatory 15,000 per home game (or well under it).  That is part of the economic package we are being dealt.  Oh, we could lie about the attendance at those last 2 home games as some schools out there we all know do, but we won't at UNT.   BUT.......................the killer will be trying to sell season tickets to all this next summer.  Its one thing to finish toward to bottom of the Mountain West Conference, but its an entire different deal to finish at the bottom of the Sun Belt Conference which annually abounds with schools ranked in the 100's of the 117 school NCAA D1-A.  One of you called it being "the Best of the Worst?"

I think DD is a good recruiter but is one who cannot lead his coaches to coach this talent to much higher competition levels than that of the Sun Belt Conference.  It has been said many times that "IF" NT doesn't beat the 3'rd or 4'th place CUSA team we have played in the NO's Bowl, that we are not showing improvement at all.  Again, folks, I said "3'rd or 4'th place CUSA team.

We have some good football players on this team, but the last few years we've seen lack of discipline on and off the football field (personal foul penalties at really stupid times in the course of a football game?) and now we have one of DD's coordinators rushing after one of our fans who didn't say anything that was inaccurate.  Unfortunately, the last 3 years outside SBC competition, we've been out-coached in many games.

Economic$? Isn't this a time in our program that we should be building solid fan support aimed toward NT's projected move to our new stadium in 2009?  FWIW, the last 3 years we have been been slipping each year and we are much more closely ranked with all the SBC schools who are annually ranked from #100 to #117 than we are ranked with D1-A schools that insures this football program is for certain progressing and making marked improvement.  We just cannot continue being the Best of the Worst as one of you posters has coined that phrase. 

The last 3 years, fellow Greenbackers, we have not shown such progress and a much needed distancing from the balance of the Sun Belt Conference football teams.  If NT were in a conference that did not have a bowl tie-in (like during the Mean Joe Greene era and also Hayden Fry's 1'st Mo Valley football champion did not have as well)...........then one should ask this question:  How many bowl games would NORTH TEXAS in today's political NCAA D1-A have gone to the last 4 years?  That is the question some NT officials really need to ask of themselves if they get hung up on the bowl part of all this.  This year we were soundly defeated by OOC schools that we thought we were at least even with. 

In conclusion, if you can get 1,000 NT students on our main campus who'd say they really like watching Mean Green football and who also like the direction this football program in the Sun Belt Conference is headed under DD and staff, I'd change my mind on the whole thing, but I don't think you could find 500 NT students who would say such.  It's really going to boil down to economics and how much a hit our NT leadership now thinks we can handle if we are content to only compete at the level of play most SBC schools compete.  That is not the quality of NCAA D1-A football we need to be taking across the interstate to our new football stadiium in 2009, folks .

Great Post, brings out the reality of the situation.

In conclusion, if you can get 1,000 NT students on our main campus who'd say they really like watching Mean Green football and who also like the direction this football program in the Sun Belt Conference is headed under DD and staff, I'd change my mind on the whole thing, but I don't think you could find 500 NT students who would say such. 

I'd be shocked if you could get 1,000 students on campus to name who has started every game at QB this year, let alone be able to judge anything about the football team or the football program.

Can someone summarize PMG's post.  My ADD kicks in after the 2nd paragraph and the changes in color font size only further distract me. unsure.gif

Let me interrpret this before someone else misinterprets it. cool.gif

The changes in fonts with a mixture of colors are to help some of my fellow older nestors who have a bit of narcolepsy. They actually serve the same purpose as a cold glass of water in the face of one who has gravitated into slumber-land. Actually, stebo (where is he BTW?) has taken over my title as "Longest GMG.com Poster" and has had the title for several months now.

I do hope the rest of the manifesto is pretty self explanatory; that is, if one can just read thru the whole darn thing. blink.gif

This Too Shall Pass.....

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I dunno.  I just skip over them now; I figure someone else will read 'em and summarize 'em at some point if they're important laugh.gif

Actually, I'm sure very few things I've ever posted would be classified as "important" but please do here me out on this:

Since I've followed NT Athletics (1973 till the present), I would say that probably 95% of all the employees who have worked and then left (voluntarily or involuntarily) the NT Athletic Department have gone to jobs of a lesser scope or level than that of the University of North Texas.

So when some NT alums do care enough about their school to follow this for a few decades and still see a need to express themselves about some of our alma mater's athletic employees who one might think might just be keeping us from reaching our fullest potential, it might be that these alums are merely having to look at NT's long running track record of hiring athletic employees period.

Even a novice could come up with some conclusions if they were to look at that "95%" (give or take) of NT athletic employees who have not bettered themselves. So in many ways, that could really be looked at as a barometer of sorts?

YET THE QUESTION STILL REMAINS: If they can't get a better job than they have at UNT, are they just being so unusually loyal to UNT (albeit they have degrees elsewhere) OR are they just not gettting the job done at UNT to a level of quality as to where other schools are knocking our doors down in Denton to hire them away from us? (In all fairness, some of our ex NT athletic employees chose to go into completely different careers after they left the athletic department).

Sorry about all that unimportant trivial stuff there.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Actually, I'm sure very few things I've ever posted would be classified as "important" but please do here me out on this:

Since I've followed NT Athletics (1973 till the present), I would say that probably 95% of all the employees who have worked and then left (voluntarily or involuntarily) the NT Athletic Department have gone to jobs of a lesser scope or level than that of the University of North Texas. 

So when some NT alums do care enough about their school to follow this for a few decades and still see a need to express themselves about some of our alma mater's athletic employees who one might think might just be keeping us from reaching our fullest potential, it might be that these alums are merely having to look at NT's long running track record of hiring athletic employees period.

Even a novice could come up with some conclusions if they were to look at that "95%" (give or take) of NT athletic employees who have not bettered themselves.  So in many ways, that could really be looked at as a barometer of sorts? 

YET THE QUESTION STILL REMAINS:  If they can't get a better job than they have at UNT, are they just being so unusually loyal to UNT (albeit they have degrees elsewhere) OR are they just not gettting the job done at UNT to a level of quality as to where other schools are knocking our doors down in Denton to hire them away from us?  (In all fairness, some of our ex NT athletic employees chose to go into completely different careers after they left the athletic department).

Sorry about all that unimportant trivial stuff there.

PlummMeanGreen,

Your information is very valuable and gives MG fans alot to think about.

Just got an email asking me why I am on the warpath with this now. My response is that we just got beat by a school (FAU) 2 years in a row who didn't have a football program 5 years ago. The first year they beat us we had a bowl team and the 2'nd time they beat us (yesterday) we had a "young" team--just like FAU had a "young" team.

One of our NT coaches said earlier this Fall that if we get behind in a football game by too much, that with our style of offense it is difficult to overcome such a scoreboard deficit. My main question related to that is: If we get too far behind other SBC schools in football year in and year out, just how long will it take us to catch up in that scenario?

And lets say we get back on track again with present staff. Just what track are we going to be on? The track of where we get back of beating only SBC schools while getting our asses kicked by OOC schools like La "freakin' Tech, Tulsa and next year---SMU? Is that the, uh, fast track that any of you want back on?

I've said it before and I mean't it that IMHO I've always felt DD was a good recruiter but jumpin'jehosophats, you have to do something with them once you get them on campus.

We cannot afford to just get to the point (again) that everyone will think all is well on the northern front when we start beating (only) SBC schools again to get to a bowl to then play the 3'rd or 4'th place CUSA team. NORTH TEXAS needs to do something much more grandiose than that and I hope NT officials will wake up and smell the coffee with that.

AND........any of you want to market all this next Fall in light of the fact that a school (FAU) that has only been open for business 5 years just beat our school for the 2'nd year in a row? HELLO?!?!?!? unsure.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Just got an email asking me why I am on the warpath with this now.  My response is that we just got beat by a school (FAU) 2 years in a row who didn't have a football program 5 years ago.  The first year they beat us we had a bowl team and the 2'nd time they beat us (yesterday) we had a "young" team--just like FAU had a "young" team.

One of our NT coaches said earlier this Fall that if we get behind in a football game by too much, that with our style of offense it is difficult to overcome such a scoreboard deficit.  My main question related to that is:  If we get too far behind other SBC schools in football year in and year out, just how long will it take us to catch up in that scenario?

And lets say we get back on track again with present staff.  Just what track are we going to be on?  The track of where we get back of beating only SBC schools while getting our asses kicked by OOC schools like La "freakin' Tech, Tulsa and next year---SMU?  Is that the, uh, fast track that any of you want back on? 

I've said it before and I mean't it that IMHO I've always felt DD was a good recruiter but jumpin'jehosophats, you have to do something with them once you get them on campus.   

We cannot afford to just get to the point (again) that everyone will think all is well on the northern front when we start beating (only) SBC schools again to get to a bowl to then play the 3'rd or 4'th place CUSA team.  NORTH TEXAS needs to do something much more grandiose than that and I hope NT officials will wake up and smell the coffee with that. 

AND........any of you want to market all this next Fall in light of the fact that a school (FAU) that has only been open for business 5 years just beat our school for the 2'nd year in a row?    HELLO?!?!?!? unsure.gif

Not this fire DD stuff again.

So I'll bite yet again....

I think we will here this until he wins a national championship. If he starts winning OOC games (which means beating UT, OU, LSU, etc) then that will not be enough for many. We will start hearing...."We are winning OOC game, but we can crack the top 25". Or UNT schedules easy OOC game....we get "we are only winning OOC game because we are playing easy teams. We need to play UT, OU again."

I have followed this team since the early 80's....NAME ONE COACH THAT HAS BEEN BETTER from 1985 to now.

We are having a hard year. It happens even with a good coach....

ex...Penn St. I guess they have a crappy coach.

Ok I am off my soap box now.

We all have the best at heart for UNT even if we don't agree on this subject accross the UNT fan base.

GO MEAN GREEN.

Edited by 0footballfan0