Halftime incident w/the coaching staff

vpackrats

OK, after "Tortilla-Gate" & FFR having to get temporarily ejected (BS by the way -- that's like ejecting Crazy Ray from a Dallas Cowboys game!!), what happened after that?

I was in section D (one section over) but I saw a UNT coach (Flanigan?) having to be restrained by other coaches while getting in a shouting match with the Section E group. Why would the coaches come into the stands to start something w/the fans right before half?

Anyone in that section, please enlighten us as to what happened!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was actually in section D row 14 on the aisle. A gentleman behind me (we're in row 12, seats 31 and 32) and to my right commented to the coaches as they came down to the field that we were being outcoached. Coach Flanigan toook "exception" and rammed his way behind us on row 13 to confront the man who was about 4 or 5 seats in from the aisle, I think in row 14. He (Flanigan) shouted several times for him to say it to his face and the gentleman did. They pulled him away while he was saying something about "I'll kick your a##". The gentleman said he was not directing the comment at Flanigan, but at the coaching staff as a whole. That's about it! I sit two rows right in front of Rick. What a night!

GMG!

Edited by NTEdgex2

My friends and I sat one row in front of it and saw the Rick incident as well as this happen.

Ramon was on row one, about to leave when the man yells we're being outcoached, Ramon blows up, gets real angry, turns around and says,who said that!? He goes to the row, right to the man who said it, and says say it to my face, keeps repeating it, the man says it again, and ramon is restrained, not a good incident at all.

If you can't take that critisism(which is absolutely correct) you shouldn't be coaching, that was ridiculous. My first time to sit on the alumni side(I had free tix) was a very crazy one, fun game though.

I can't believe more people aren't upset about this! I thought the board would be blowing by now because of this. I for one was embarresed by it. What if RF was not restrained by the other coaches, I would hate to see what would have happened next. Were there recruits present? i thought I saw a few walking around. I hope they didn't see the incident!

Guest JohnDenver

I can't believe more people aren't upset about this!  I thought the board would be blowing by now because of this. I for one was embarresed by it.  What if RF was not restrained by the other coaches, I would hate to see what would have happened next.    Were there recruits present? i thought I saw a few walking around.  I hope they didn't see the incident!

Recruits saw it. I sit directly behind them ...This is what they were told by the lead Eagle Angel.

"If you could all move down to the front rows to watch the game. We want to create a barrier so *those* people (pointing to section E and D) don't ruin the game for you."

I looked at her and game her the thumbs down.. They are crazy. CRRAAAAZZZY.

A recruit from Ardmore leaned back and asked what is up her a$$. I told him that I don't have enough time to answer.

This guy liked what he saw at UNT though. Loved the crowd. Loved the spirit and "piss and vinegar" from the alumni. He was concerned about attendance, DL and QB.

He was the only recruit to stay the ENTIRE game.

Edited by JohnDenver

I can't believe more people aren't upset about this!  I thought the board would be blowing by now because of this. I for one was embarresed by it.  What if RF was not restrained by the other coaches, I would hate to see what would have happened next.    Were there recruits present? i thought I saw a few walking around.  I hope they didn't see the incident!

I think people are and should be!! This thread will be multi page soon.

Ramon was on row one, about to leave when the man yells we're being outcoached, Ramon blows up, gets real angry, turns around and says,who said that!? He goes to the row, right to the man who said it, and says say it to my face, keeps repeating it, the man says it again, and ramon is restrained, not a good incident at all.

If you can't take that critisism(which is absolutely correct) you shouldn't be coaching, that was ridiculous.

RF's conduct was unacceptable. With statistically the nation's worst offense before the game, he shouldn't have been offended. Either it's bad coaching, bad recruiting, or both. So which one is it?

Very embarrasing.

BTW, how many delay of games/penalties did we have tonight? Pathetic... the whole incident with Ramon made the game alittle more interesting.

On another note.... TO THE WINGS: HAVE YOU WINGETTES STAY FOR THE WHOLE GAME. dry.gif

Our coaching and the players we have out on the field just don't match up very well... our offense is just so slow and seems to have no clue what they are doing.

Edited by ipEAGLE

What if RF was not restrained by the other coaches, I would hate to see what would have happened next.    Were there recruits present? i thought I saw a few walking around.  I hope they didn't see the incident!

Well if he had started swinging you would have to figure his UNT days would be over tomorrow.

And who knows that may have sealed his fate anyway.

Pretty sad, if he can't take the heat he should not be in the Kitchen.

I've maintained it and still believe it -- 8 years no change in game plans -- wins only because we are play the bottom of the barrel and then the coaches get upset with fans for pointing out the obvious.

I guess it is the fans against the coaches -- the coaches lose because without fans there is no game. sad.gif

After the incident, the man said something along the lines of we've been outcoached the whole damn season, its not like Im wrong here, >>Hes right<<

Then said, I have supporting this university for 25 years, I am entitled to speak my opinion>>Hes even more right there<<

Is this brave man on the boards?

RF should get a TO-like suspension for this.

Whoa. I guess I miss out on the good stuff sitting on the student section side. I saw someone getting thrown out for tortillas and I could barely see what I now know was Rick's fire helmet. Now our offensive coordinator is screaming back at a fan? Ouch. I guess we lost more than a game tonight.

Whoa. I guess I miss out on the good stuff sitting on the student section side. I saw someone getting thrown out for tortillas and I could barely see what I now know was Rick's fire helmet. Now our offensive coordinator is screaming back at a fan? Ouch. I guess we lost more than a game tonight.

Not just screaming at fans...Flanny charged Silver twice. The other coaches pulled him out of the stands, but Flanny tried to go back at him. That was the worst meltdown I have ever seen by a coach. I dont care what the circumstances, you never jump into the stands to threaten a fan.....EVER!!

Flannigan needs to quit right now before this gets out. The media would have a field day with such and incident. The berating he will take from the fans from this point on will be horrendous. I had a first-timer there watching the game and he had to see that?

Fire the man, and fire him right now!!!!!

GMG!!! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Not just screaming at fans...Flanny charged Silver twice. The other coaches pulled him out of the stands, but Flanny tried to go back at him. That was the worst meltdown I have ever seen by a coach. I dont care what the circumstances, you never jump into the stands to threaten a fan.....EVER!!

Flannigan needs to quit right now before this gets out. The media would have a field day with such and incident. The berating he will take from the fans from this point on will be horrendous. I had a first-timer there watching the game and he had to see that?

GMG!!! mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif

After reading this post and thinking about it, medpilot21 is absolutely correct.

There are no ifs, no ands or no buts, he should be cleaning out his desk by Monday.

GMG!!! mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif

anything that could make this season any worse? =/

I'm glad that more people are starting to realize that the man calling our plays is not doing ANYTHING to advance our program. It's time for some changes! BTW, nice comeback MeanGreen. I'm just sorry the game had to end the way it did. Heard the first half on the radio and saw about the last third of the game. Thought it was over by the way it sounded, but we made a nice effort when you consider what we have to work with. I'll still be there supporting us the last two games. Hard to accept, but I guess we'll just have to hope next year turns out to be a different story. Over and out.