Cajuns discuss possible CUSA opening

MeanGreen61

RV to ULL???????????????

They need to add NT to the west and La. Tech to the east for a 14 team C-USA.

Why not, he's applied for every other job out there...

Correction - before this becomes a 50 post thread on RV - just doing a bit - but is odd he's been connected to so many other jobs, even if some dude from ULL is not a decent source

Edited by Michael Scott

I feel positive that RV, et. al., are on top of this and gathering all there "ammo" for the battle to get us in "IF" this is taking place.

Tulane may get an exemption until all is well again, who knows??

"IF" Tulane does drop out......................................................

Looks like it could come down to LaTech and UNT for that region "IF" Tulane drops out.

IF IF IF IF IF IF

I feel positive that RV, et. al., are on top of this and gathering all there "ammo" for the battle to get us in "IF" this is taking place.

Tulane may get an exemption until all is well again, who knows??

"IF" Tulane does drop out......................................................

Looks like it could come down to LaTech and UNT for that region "IF" Tulane drops out.

IF  IF  IF  IF  IF  IF

I thought that was a pretty "off-the-wall" comment as well regarding RV. Couldn't see him being interested in such a lateral move. That is unless he knows something none of us know wink.gif Right now, I'd have you guys and LaTech ahead of my Cajuns should an opening come up; but the interesting point for me would be "would either school take a football-only spot"? All-sports, sure! But football only?

Some unknown person on a anonymous computer bulletin board writes "UNT AD to ULL" and this could actually mean something?

blink.gif

No, but I think the fact that RV's name as appeared on NMSU's and MUT's list of applicants has given us the right to assume that it will probably appear on ULL's. I don't like it and don't want to see him leave, but I also would like to know that RV is happy here and has the control of the program that most AD's have. I don't know if that is so true currently.

No, but I think the fact that RV's name as appeared on NMSU's and MUT's list of applicants has given us the right to assume that it will probably appear on ULL's.  I don't like it and don't want to see him leave, but I also would like to know that RV is happy here and has the control of the program that most AD's have.  I don't know if that is so true currently.

In that business it's good to have your name circulated, not for the purpose of actually taking the job, but to see what the market climate is like and keep your name out there. Every time this comes up people fail to see it as a part of networking and seeing his own worth. Maybe even to turn the screws when asking for a raise. A raise I think UNT should be prepared to offer if that is the case. UNT has many more positives to work for than ULL does, including location. I don't think we should be worried about RV leaving anytime soon.

Shof---

1. My comment was not, "off the wall." There are and will be "rumors" floating around these boards that are NOT verified. You can take a look how we, at gomeangreen.com, regard rumors. mad.gif

2. IF Tulane is thinking about dropping out of C-USA then I think people who should be in the know, like UNT's very own RV, may have heard "rumblings" through HIS pipeline of information (other BOR's & AD's at those institutions) and not so off the LaLa board or any other board!!!

3. Shof, meaning no disrespect, if you have some verifiable evidence as to what is happening please bring it forward and share it with us.

4. Please do not fault anyone on this board if they question rumors.

5. 6pm Saturday @ Fouts.......be there!!

This is a good thing.  It means we have an AD that is a commodity who knows what he's doing to take our program in the right direction.  Or would you rather have someone nobody wants?

We are not going to be the only ones who have noticed a difference at North Texas, that is for sure.

Rick

Rick has done an outstanding job at North Texas and his name is going to pop up on many schools lists in their AD searches. Why not? Attendance, donations, compliance, and facility improvements have all boomed under his guidance. If the students has not voted incorrectly on the fee adjustment a couple years ago, we would be in even much better shape than we currently are.

This is a good thing.  It means we have an AD that is a commodity who knows what he's doing to take our program in the right direction.  Or would you rather have someone nobody wants?

We are not going to be the only ones who have noticed a difference at North Texas, that is for sure.

Rick

if it is LaLa after RV than that is one thing, but if RV applied for the opening then he is not satisfied with the goings on at UNt. He was number 2 for the nmsu job and on the list for east carolina last year too. sounds like he is not happy here or someone took his power away.

Guest JohnDenver

Speculation... that is all you are throwing around.

Those types of situations where they say which AD's they are considering are just that. They are CONSIDERING offering the position to a person. RV doesn't really have to apply ... they are looking for candidates. It is only smart to never turn down the oppurtunity to grow within your career. I woudn't ever tell a corporate recruiter that I am NOT available. I would tell them to let me know what they have to offer and then I will make my decision.

Rick

Could be wishful thinking on the posters part. Another thread on their board is about the construction going on at the Athletic Village. With their budget & the possible cuts coming because of Katrina, they probably can't afford him cool.gif

And to think, all this bantering is happening because some anonymous person on a Ragin' Cajuns message board suggested that they may be at a disadvantage and that maybe they should look at the AD from North Texas.

Before long, the rumor will be that WE ALL KNOW that Rick applied for the position because we saw something, somewhere, that if twisted and looked at from the right angle, might possibly suggest that there might have been the slightest inclination that there may have been the smallest amount of interest expressed.

A year ago, NMSU contacted Dr Pohls office and asked for clearance to talk to our AD. NMSU got permission and RV reviewed the situation and declined the offer to be considered for the position. All the sudden word broke on this board that "Rick is chasing the NMSU job".

There are worse things than having a good AD that everyone else has an interest in. We could be stuck with one of our previous ADs instead, or even worse. Thanks again Dr. Pohl for getting that fixed.

Hopefully Rick will be the AD at a CUSA school in the next several years, and hopefully he will never have to move to do it.

Attendance, donations, compliance, and facility improvements have all boomed under his guidance.

*Attendance If you are talking about football, the team has had more to do with that than RV. I do not believe any other sport has shown a growth in attendance.

*Donations What major donations other than Mattress Mac and the donation for the tennis center has RV been in power for. He doesn't get credit for the Mattress Mac donation. Dickey gets that one. I believe he is at least $90 million short of the $95 million he guaranteed he would raise in 5 years.

*Compliance I agree NT hasn't been investigated for NCAA violations, but wait I don't remember the last time NT was investigated for NCAA violations.

*Facility improvements You've got me on this one. Eagle Point, the new turf for Fouts and the purchase of Liberty Christian are all under RV's watch.

My question is with NT's rededication to athletics, would it have happened anyway.

Shof---

1.  My comment was not, "off the wall."  There are and will be "rumors" floating around these boards that are NOT verified.  You can take a look how we, at gomeangreen.com, regard rumors.  mad.gif

2.  IF Tulane is thinking about dropping out of C-USA then I think people who should be in the know, like UNT's very own RV, may have heard "rumblings" through HIS pipeline of information (other BOR's & AD's at those institutions) and not so off the LaLa board or any other board!!!

3.  Shof, meaning no disrespect, if you have some verifiable evidence as to what is happening please bring it forward and share it with us. 

4.  Please do not fault anyone on this board if they question rumors.

5.  6pm Saturday @ Fouts.......be there!!

I think you misunderstood my comment regarding "off the wall". It was in reference to the post on raginpagin; and that is the only place I've seen it. I just don't see why your AD would be interested in this type of move. Heck, we can't even hire an AD right now with the current freeze on money! And lord knows you guys have a better financial situation than we do right now.

As for the Tulane part; certainly they must look into the viability of their athletic programs given the loss of money/students/faculty/etc this fall. I hope Tulane can keep their program going but it will be difficult to say the least. I'm sure there is a lot of information floating around in "official" circles just as there is on forums such as this one and our's. Any school with interest should definitely be posturing for an opportunity.........you snooze, you lose.....so to speak.

Now for the important stuff. Cajuns 24, Mean Green 17. I won't be able to make it up to Denton this time. Hope to in the future. Did get to Lafayette for homecoming. I thought we controlled Troy for 3 quarters; but let it slip late to get into overtime. Slowly but surely it seems we are learning how to win. Not going to get any easier this year; but the future looks good. Just like you guys, we are hoping to run the table and see if the bowl is in our future as well.

Cheers.

Let's see - attendance. RV has improved the overall game experience. Tailgating, previously banned, is now encouraged and many people on this board say it helping attendance at football games. Mean Green Club members now also have some sort of gathering before basketball games thanks to RV. The Deck, the jumbotron, improved gate access all contribute to making the experience of coming to a football game something people want to repeat.

Donations. The Mean Green Club. RV took the name from the board, but donations are at an all time high to the athletic department because of this method of donation.

Compliance. Because of RV we are the only state school that is now Title IX compliant. Feminist groups have been hunting for a program to sue and shut down. The UTs and A&Ms aren't worth suing because they would simply write a check. NT can do that so we have to comply and thanks to RV we are.

Facilities. Much improvement need to be done, but already there are clear improvements here.

Compliance. Because of RV we are the only state school that is now Title IX compliant. Feminist groups have been hunting for a program to sue and shut down. The UTs and A&Ms aren't worth suing because they would simply write a check. NT can do that so we have to comply and thanks to RV we are.

Facilities. Much improvement need to be done, but already there are clear improvements here.

I thought A&M's equestrian program made sure they would be Title IX compliant for a long time coming. Its a sweet gig that lets them field other sports because they have 90 girls ready to ride horses while the baseball and football teams go out and do their thing.

I'd be interested in knowing where you got that A&M, and even Texas, are not compliant just because that would amuse me if they failed to be even with their horse team.

Unfortunately, Dr. Pohl is a lame duck.

True, but he certainly came through for us when we needed him to. He terminated the contract of someone that was taking the athletic program nowhere on at an accellerated pace. Pohl brought in someone that instilled ambitious plans that few of us would have thought possible a few years ago, and our AD is acheiving those goals.

There have been more facility improvements in the last 5 years than in any other period of our school's history, and I will always be grateful to Dr. Pohl for getting it started.

Edited by ADLER

I'd be interested in knowing where you got that A&M, and even Texas, are not compliant just because that would amuse me if they failed to be even with their horse team.

Actually, I heard about it from RV who was quite proud of being what he said was the only state school to be completely compliant. He did not specifically say the others were not, just the we were the only one.

And this was before A&M added the equestrian team - I had forgotten about that!

True, but he certainly came through for us when we needed him to. He terminated the contract of someone that was taking the athletic program nowhere on at an accellerated pace. Pohl brought in someone that instilled ambitious plans that few of us would have been possible a few years ago, and ou AD is acheiving those goals.

There have been more facility improvements in the last 5 years than in any other period of our school's history, and I will always be grateful to Dr. Pohl for getting it started.

Oh, I agree about Dr. Pohl whole-heartedly. My point was that I hope we aren't losing RV's greatest allie.