DMN UCF underclassmen help go from 0 wins to tie

OldTimer

Underclassmen help UCF go from winless season to first place

09:19 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 25, 2005

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

Want to learn how to rebuild a football program? Watch Central Florida.

The Golden Knights, 0-11 in 2004, are two wins away from becoming bowl eligible and are tied for first place with Southern Miss in the Eastern Division.

"Everybody that I've talked to said UCF is the most talented team in this league," said East Carolina coach Skip Holtz, whose team meets UCF on Saturday. "They keep things very simple and run the ball. They will make you stop it, and as soon as you do, they will get some matchup [advantages] with their big receivers."

In the preseason, UCF was picked to finish last in the Eastern Division with East Carolina.

The key to the turnaround was coach George O'Leary's ability to get younger players to make an impact. A total of 23 freshmen or sophomores have started this season. UCF has only 10 seniors on its roster.

Freshman running back Kevin Smith carried 18 times for 113 yards and one touchdown in last week's 34-24 win over Tulane. He also threw for one score.

The Golden Knights also didn't look for some fancy offensive scheme like the spread to score points. UCF runs a basic multiple offense that uses the running game to establish itself.

"We've been as balanced as the defense allows us to be," said O'Leary, whose team is 4-3 overall and 3-1 in conference. "I still believe you have to run the ball on any down and that's pretty much what we like to do."

Player of the Year down to two: The conference's offensive player of the year award is probably down to a two-man race: Memphis running back DeAngelo Williams and UAB quarterback Darrell Hackney.

Williams, who won the award last season, leads the conference in all-purpose yards (194.3), rushing yards (187) and scoring (12 touchdowns). Hackney is tops in passing yards (306.3), total yards (323.7) and passing efficiency (153.5).

The teams meet Nov. 1 at Memphis on ESPN2.

Bowl picture clearing up: With almost a month left to play, the conference has six teams in contention for bowl berths. Tulsa and UT-El Paso need one win to clinch bowl eligibility, and Southern Miss, UCF, Memphis and Houston are two wins away.

The conference has five bowl tie-ins and sent five teams to bowl games last season.

Briefly: Memphis' DeAngelo Williams, who leads the nation with 1,309 yards rushing, moved to fourth on the NCAA's all-time all-purpose yardage list with 6,858. ... Rice (0-6), whose 12-game losing streak is the nation's longest, hosts UTEP (5-1) on Saturday. ... UTEP receiver Johnnie Lee Higgins has caught a touchdown pass in five straight games and 14 of the last 16.

E-mail cwatkins@dallasnews.com

Freshman can't make an impact - I think we've established that. This story must be a lie.

UCF is just another BCS school trying to keep us down - no midmajor can suddenly find success without new stadiums and funding. Imagine if they had our situation and had to recruit in a football-dead state like Texas?

Seriously, it says they run a basic offense for the young kids to learn - which we supposedly do. Let's see what a basic offense gets you in CUSA:

A junior QB on pace to throw for around 2500 yds (he threw for 1700 his first year as a starter in his second year with the program in 2004)

A freshman running back with 560 yds and averaging 4.6 a carry led by a sophomore fullback

A line with 2 freshman tackles, 2 sophomore guards and a senior center can still move the ball.

Their defensive line and linebacking corp starts one freshman, but they have an entirely freshman secondary (this is off the starting line up for the Tulane game.)

So young, yet they can put up close to 400 yds a game on offense. How you ask - lets ask Skip Holtz:

"They keep things very simple and run the ball. They will make you stop it, and as soon as you do, they will get some matchup [advantages] with their big receivers."

I thought he was going to say that as soon they make you stop the run, they keep running it anyway.

If using the run to set up the pass is basic, what do you call what RF and DD do?

At least Dickey does not lie on his resume - so we got that going for us, which is nice.

That may be one of the best posts on here lately....I especially love the sarcasim mixed in there with the facts.  Yet there will be some on here that STILL say its because we are young and no new stadium.

I appreciate it guys - but do not overrate stating the obvious.

I really just wanted to spark some discussion...

I'd love to be refuted here

History of UCF posted here the week of the FIU game.

I would also point to one statement in the article.

Otherwords, you take what the defense gives you and attack em where they ain't.

Rick

Rick,

I thought you had supplemented more on UCF - thanks for supplementing me because the transition from long time lurker to poster has been spotty thus far.

Another point on UCF - look at how they made their transition to I-A in 1996 (I did not see this but apologize if you covered it before):

http://ucfathletics.collegesports.com/spor.../110204aag.html

Among the high points:

Competitive OOC games

1996: 20-27 loss to GT (5-6)

1997: 1 point OT loss to Ole Miss, 2 pt loss at South Carolina, 2 td loss to Nebraska after leading at the half, 34-17 win over 9-1 Toledo at home

1998: Beat La Tech 64-30, lose 10-6 at Auburn after late fumble with lead, 38-6 over New Mexico - finish 9-2, receive conditional bowl bid that is taken back after PAC 10 takes opening when Miami upsets UCLA

HIRE GENE CHIZIK AS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

1999: 1 pt loss to #9 Georgia; losing season

2000: Lose 17-21 to GT, beat La Tech

2001: Lose 13-21 at number 19 Clemson, beat Tulane, UAB

2002: Lose 27-24 at PSU, 26-21 WVU

2003: Go 3-7, realize program has stagnated and relieve the coach of his duties - rash of injuries and defections (according to site)

Hire George O'Leary to build something long term

2004: 0-11, bottom out, develop players, learn new system

2005: So far, so good

Interesting with so much success in their jump, several winning seasons, and the like, that they decided that a change should be made to take the program long term. Also interesting was how they were usually top 50 in the Sagarin ratings and had a top 30 offense.

All without facilities and 20,000 donors (not that those are not important - but it really is a chicken and the egg argument sometimes)

After review I know this has been posted but it is nice to have a snapshot of what out of conference could be like - don't slam me Rick

Edited by Michael Scott

UCF is just another BCS school trying to keep us down - no midmajor can suddenly find success without new stadiums and funding.

UCF is winning because they are getting better athletes. Over 90% of their players are in-state. Florida is a football hotbed similar to Texas. Wonder how they're able to get them? Wonder why Miami or FSU doesn't get them all? Could at least part of it be that their facilities are on par (or exceed) Miami's/FSU's? Could it be that their stadium and new construction generates revenue to support recruiting/football efforts? blink.gif

THE FLORIDA CITRUS BOWL

"In 1989, a $30 million dollar major renovation project added upper decks to both sides of the field. Each single upper deck contained 9,000 seats. Four concrete ramp towers at the corners of the stadium were also constructed to allow easier access to the upper decks. The look gave the Florida Citrus Bowl a coliseum like appearance.

The expansion also included 30 private suites on the east side of the upper decks, individually leased by Orlando businesses and individuals. A new press box was also constructed to accommodate 250 writers. The press box houses 14 individual booths, including two for television and four for radio. After the renovation, the seating capacity was raised to 66,438. With the addition of temporary bleachers in the north end zone, the capacity exceeds 70,000.

In the summer of 1999, the stadium was again improved with the addition of contour seating, and two escalators. The new scoreboard and video replay screen, measuring 35 feet high by 107 feet, was installed in the fall of 2002. The $3 million project also added two full-color displays on the facing of the upper deck, a new auxiliary scoreboard, and a new sound system.

Other features in the Florida Citrus Bowl include two 9,000 square foot locker rooms, adjacent practice facilities, and 50 concession stands and restrooms.

In addition, the facility includes the Citrus Bowl Centre, which is adjacent to the south end zone of the stadium. The ground level of the building includes a 5,000 square foot conference center and the upper part of the building houses the executive offices of Florida Citrus Sports Association, which hosts the annual Capital One Bowl and Tangerine Bowl.

Here's some info on their strength and conditioning center. Odd, it was completed in 2003. Hmm. Wonder how long UCF recruited with the promise (and actual results) of new facilities? Wonder if it helped? Hmm. laugh.gif

Wayne Densch Sports Center

The Wayne Densch Sports Center opened its doors to all of UCF’s 17 varsity sports teams in August of 2003. The state-of-the-art facility houses the weight room, football locker rooms, training room, and coaches offices. The weight room is an 11,200-square foot training facility which includes free weights, weight machines, cardio equipment and is complete with a mixing room for better distribution of nutritional supplementation.

The strength center is one of the finest training facilities in college athletics. The facility features 14 multi-purpose platform/combo racks with bench, incline, squat, and pull-up capabilities. Each platform contains full sets of customized Eleiko training plates. There is also an array of Hammer Strength, York Barbell, Bodymaster, and Powerlift training machines. The facility also has two sets of dumbbells ranging from five to 125lbs.

The Golden Knights are constantly working on their speed, quickness, and endurance training with over six specialized speed training devices. With the excellent weather in Florida, the Golden Knights take advantage of training on one of five practice fields or running track, both with quick and convenient access located behind the Wayne Densch Sports Center.

Jay Bergman Field

UCF calls one of the nation's finest baseball stadiums home in Jay Bergman Field. The state-of-the-art facility includes seating capacity of 1,000 with berm seating for an additional 1,000 fans. The finely manicured playing surface is one of the best in the entire nation. "Jay Bergman Field could be the South's version of Sunken Diamond," stated SEBaseball.com writer Corey Davis.

With wide open concourses and palm trees lining the concession area, fans have a feeling of a fan-oriented Florida ballpark.

The facility includes office space for the UCF baseball coaching staff, a reception area, a full-sized conference area and the UCF Athletics Hall of Fame. The players enjoy a spacious locker room with tall wooden lockers while the coaching staff has its own separate locker room. The facility also includes a weight room, training room and equipment room with complete laundry facilities.

Attached to the players' locker room is an impressive indoor facility that features three batting cages and two pitching mounds. The spacious practice area gives UCF the advantage to practice in any weather elements, all year long.

After opening on February 3, 2001, Jay Bergman Field has opened its gates to the players and fans who patiently waited for its arrival. The Golden Knights failed to disappoint their fans, as UCF owns an impressive record of 97-35 (.734) all-time at Jay Bergman Field.

In 2001, UCF ranked 38th in the nation in attendance as the Golden Knights averaged 911 fans per game. Since the ballpark opened, more than 82,000 fans have witnessed UCF baseball at Jay Bergman Field.

No, new facilities were probably non-factors in an athletes decision to go to UCF. dry.gif

I agree with you - they are getting better athletes - as is South Florida and other Florida schools. Does Texas not have enough talent to keep up with the state of Florida? They played at a stadium off campus (look how well Texas Stadium worked for UNT) and had small crowds and built their way up by putting a great product on the field. Culpepper was sold to go there because it was a system that he saw could get him to the NFL (he said this somewhere- I'll look for the quote later.) What about our offensive system would make any Texas skill player with next level aspirations decide that?

While on the topic of Culpepper - yes they had him early - but also won without him. In 2000, they lost a QB to injury and had to play a freshman named Ryan Schneider, and still finished 12th in the nation in passing offense. I think he threw a ton of jump routes and got lucky. 26 UCF players signed NFL contracts from 1998 - 2002, and only one was named Culpepper. The strength center opened in 2003, and I do not think those players came to UCF watch the construction project.

Did I say facilities were a non factor whatsoever? Of course they are a factor. The point of my post was to show that this is not and end all solution and nor should it be an excuse for what is done on the field. Texas, Florida, and California have a ton of talent and I believe the right system could bring them here while we build up the program.

Everything is connected - but the easiest way to get more donors is to win. Why not maximize everything we can to attract the best athletes and play the most competitive style possible while our ad continues to lead this thing forward? Why be content until a new stadium is built? Everyone who argues for the coach to go and everyone who doesn't should all agree we need top facilities and I think we all want them badly (except maybe the secret disgruntled former athletic department employees - who are on here btw ph34r.gif .)

One more note, the new facilities came in 2003 along with a higher level major D I-A coach in George O'Leary? Think the package of brand new facilities and a successful coach where a nice sell in recruiting?

I know Rick has given a few examples of programs coming from D I-A but another one is UCONN - they came in just a few years ago, ran a crazy system found a local QB - Orlovsky - being recruited by Notre Dame and MSU and told him they gave him a better shot and got him to the NFL and their program established and in the Big East earlier than planned.

Yes they have a nice stadium (also far off campus) but it was not always so.

We should strive for the most competitive, exciting team possible as we work to build a stadium at the same time and bring in new donors.

Why do people fight over this day in and day out on this board?

(Fake Ike Turner voice:) Long Jim, I love you. Let's not fight anymore baby. I can change...I got these songs, in my head, baby.

Other notes highlighted about UCF.

They have alway's demanded a high octane, entertaining offense even back during their 1-AA years.

They had 10 straight winning seasons, many of them ranked nationally in 1-AA, prior to moving up to 1-A.

In 2000 they beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa on the Tides homecoming.

In 2001 they finish 6-5

2002 was their first year in the MAC. They finished 6-2 and in 2nd place in the east division and go 7-5 on the year.

Even though 2003 only becomes UCF's 4th losing season in 18, finishing 3-8, they replaced their coach, opting for O'learly the '04 season.

They have never had a stadium of their own. The Citrus bowl is 10 miles from campus, and I don't know how nice it is, but I'm willing to bet that since it was built for the college game in mind that it is heads and shoulders above Texas Stadium, and lightyears ahead of TS in accessability. Playing there the past few times did absolutely nothing for us but offer frustration. It's a horrible place to get to and get any kind of tailgating experience out of it. RV said after the lousy experience we had there in '01 against Tech that we would never play there again.

Rick

I think he threw a ton of jump routes and got lucky.

Hehe! That's a pretty good one... tongue.gif

26 UCF players signed NFL contracts from 1998 - 2002, and only one was named Culpepper. The strength center opened in 2003, and I do not think those players came to UCF watch the construction project.

Did I say facilities were a non factor whatsoever? Of course they are a factor. The point of my post was to show that this is not and end all solution and nor should it be an excuse for what is done on the field. Texas, Florida, and California have a ton of talent and I believe the right system could bring them here while we build up the program.

I totally agree with you on almost every point above. I will say it here and now: Facilities are NOT the end all and be all. But they play a part. Winning plays the biggest part. Recruiting at a high level breeds winning. Facilities help recruiting because they can help generate revenue, and build school pride and visibility. I personally don't feel the system is the answer as much, but that's just me.

Everything is connected - but the easiest way to get more donors is to win. 

Heh! I have said exactly that elsewhere. I (speaking only for myself) would really like to see Dickey-ball work with a higher level of talent, because I believe that that style of football is very sound, and will win championships year in and year out. I (again personally) loathe the system that TT et. al. uses, because I believe it limits the amount and kinds of recruit we could possibly get at UNT, and it doesn't win championships consistently. sad.gif

One more note, the new facilities came in 2003 along with a higher level major D I-A coach in George O'Leary? Think the package of brand new facilities and a successful coach where a nice sell in recruiting?

Yes I do. biggrin.gif

We should strive for the most competitive, exciting team possible as we work to build a stadium at the same time and bring in new donors.

I want excitement! I want 315 lb. linemen smashing people! I want 235 lb 4.6 running LB's crushing QB's! I want opposing linemen with their shirts untucked and hands on their hips, bent over, from the ass-whipping our O-line is delivering, and the punishment our RB's are administering 8-9 yards down the field! tongue.gif

Why do people fight over this day in and day out on this board?

Hey, I'm not fighting! Look, I'm smiling! ------->:7D

(fake Barry White voice) Oh, Mike, I swear I’ve got to talk to you

There’s something that I feel we need to do

Let’s take the time to try to figure out

What’s happened to us, baby, what’s it all about

Jim,

I agree with you on this style being the answer long term - well not exactly this style, but a smashmouth style in general. Interesting article in the DMN yesterday on TAMU and how simplifying their schemes has helped them improve and get back to pounding the ball and win their last 2 games. They have rebuilt the talent pool slowly on the offensive of the ball and were almost outsmarting themselves or stagnating quickly, scoring too fast or going 3 and out and wearing out a weak defense with no middle - now they are adjusting and running more I and 2 tight end sets (or playing OSU and K State - take your pick.)

I think you have to play mad scientist for a bit when you are outmatched (TT), but eventually the talent builds and you can base everything off the run, but make the pass pretty interesting too (Texas, USC, VT, SEC, ACC, etc.) I do not want a crazy wild fun offense here, just one that can gameplan and compete and go after each opponent's unique weaknesses and put the players in a position to do their best to succeed. It is like we are currently the Muddogs from the first half of the Bourbon Bowl - I want to see that second half team just once. Maybe Bill Snyder stole Dickey's playbook and now he has a mental block...

Watching VT tonight it was cool to see them just line up and run, and run, and run right at a very good BC line. There's nothing wrong with Dickey's principle of doing that, but it can't be plan A, B, and C. That is my complaint with the current system: we do not have a contigency for anything if we don't gain 7-10 yards on 1st and 2nd down, or if 9 are in the box, or if we are down 2 TDs, or...you get the point.

Glad to see we are in agreement - as most on this board seem to be overall.

Did you and I just have a moment? I feel dirty....

The weight room is an 11,200-square foot training facility which includes free weights, weight machines, cardio equipment and is complete with a mixing room for better distribution of nutritional supplementation.

I think we forgot to install the mixing room. blink.gif

So that's like... a room with like... a bunch of blenders set up? Can I get a smoothie if I walk in? That's our missing revenue source!!! SMOOTHIES!!

(obvious joke) If Patrick Cobbs wants a smoothie he can go to the Union and pay for one just like all us other students! (end obvious joke)

UCF is 1-2 in OC games with their only win being a 3 pointer over UL-Lafayette (24-21).

UCF plays in a better conference full of teams we cannot stay within 20 pts of - what is your point?

They also played South Carolina close 24-15 and beat Tulane, Marshall, and Memphis by double digits (something that if we did would signal we ahve jumped a full tier or 2 from where we are now or have been since we peaked under Dickey.) They lost their game against South Florida 31-14, falling behind 21-0 at the half and not really ever compete in that. So, keeping score, better schedule, better conference, only one noncompete game.

But they did get crushed by Southern Miss, so we do have that and a losing OOC record in common!

Edited by Michael Scott

Just indicated their OC record with the win being  close  over a Sun Belt team. What's your problem?

My problem is I am still at work at 5:35 when everyone else has left!

Too bad ULLAF couldn't have pulled it off - would have been a good win for them and the Belt.

Sorry if I came off combative - not my intent - you stay classy, MeanGreen61.